2nd Round Pick - S/CB Jartavius Martin

MKnight82

11 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

It remains to be seen but I am interested as Mknight & @e16bball are if they might be changing to a ZBS system for their run game. That could be why they passed on Torrence; if True.

Twice too. We did our due diligence on him. Apparently we didn't like him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Because that 4th round pick could've been spent on something different. Just like the Mathis pick could've been spent on something different. There were certainly better players available when they picked these guys. And I'd venture to say our OG situation is much worse than our slot/nickel/buffalo nickel situation. They could've just kept Bobby McCain at a cheap deal and drafted Torrance. Instead they harped on the position flex crap again instead of just taking the best available player. Again, I like Quan Martin but he absolutely was not the BPA. Not only that but probably the BPA at that time was at a glaring position of need. 

Dude you literally crap on everything they do, its exhausting. To sit there and say they didn't draft an interior lineman in the 2nd is some abstract failure when they took ones back to back in the 3rd and 4th is just ridiculous. Also Bobby McCain was about as mediocre as you could get, and we had to trot out Danny Johnson at nickle CB a bunch last year. We literally have four drafted options to try at LG now, and the options at slot CB were a former UDFA CB in Johnson and a journeyman safety hybrid in McCain who wasn't that great. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Dude you literally crap on everything they do, its exhausting. To sit there and say they didn't draft an interior lineman in the 2nd is some abstract failure when they took ones back to back in the 3rd and 4th is just ridiculous. Also Bobby McCain was about as mediocre as you could get, and we had to trot out Danny Johnson at nickle CB a bunch last year. We literally have four drafted options to try at LG now, and the options at slot CB were a former UDFA CB in Johnson and a journeyman safety hybrid in McCain who wasn't that great. 

Happy Season 5 GIF by The Office

57 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I crap on the stuff they do because it usually results in a 4th place finish or 7 to 8 wins. I don’t see why this group should get a pass? Everything they do is based on staying mediocre. Free agency is a perfect example of what I’m talking about. How do you spend $24M on Wylie, Gates, Barton and Dantzler? How is that even possible? And again, here we are going through yet another draft where they reached for nearly every player they drafted. And they did not draft two interior OL. Braeden Daniels is an OT and he’s a 4th round flier similar to Saahdiq Charles.  

There’s a reason the Giants sucked for like 7 years, got a new staff and is somehow farther along in their rebuild than Rivera is here after 3 years and 4 off-seasons. You love what they do, I don’t. So yes, I do get annoyed that they spent our second round pick on a safety when they already have two stud safeties. It’s the equivalent of spending last years second on a back up DT when we had needs along the OL and at a LB. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I crap on the stuff they do because it usually results in a 4th place finish or 7 to 8 wins. I don’t see why this group should get a pass? Everything they do is based on staying mediocre. Free agency is a perfect example of what I’m talking about. How do you spend $24M on Wylie, Gates, Barton and Dantzler? How is that even possible? And again, here we are going through yet another draft where they reached for nearly every player they drafted. And they did not draft two interior OL. Braeden Daniels is an OT and he’s a 4th round flier similar to Saahdiq Charles.  

There’s a reason the Giants sucked for like 7 years, got a new staff and is somehow farther along in their rebuild than Rivera is here after 3 years and 4 off-seasons. You love what they do, I don’t. So yes, I do get annoyed that they spent our second round pick on a safety when they already have two stud safeties. It’s the equivalent of spending last years second on a back up DT when we had needs along the OL and at a LB. 

I don't think anyone is giving them a pass, I consider what Mknight is saying & what I usually argue is to give it/them a chance before determining that it's certainly going to be a failure, especially young players we drafted the last two years.

I don't know, I find it a bit odd that bc you like Chase you are taking a wait-and-see approach but with other guys you didn't want the team to draft you think they're a waste or they suck bc they're not a home run in year 1.

14 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I don't think anyone is giving them a pass, I consider what Mknight is saying & what I usually argue is to give it/them a chance before determining that it's certainly going to be a failure, especially young players we drafted the last two years.

I don't know, I find it a bit odd that bc you like Chase you are taking a wait-and-see approach but with other guys you didn't want the team to draft you think they're a waste or they suck bc they're not a home run in year 1.

I didn’t say Percy Butler sucked. I said they drafted him to play Buffalo nickel, talked him up and then immediately drafted another guy a year later to replace him in that role without giving him a chance. It’s more of indictment on Rivera and crew than it is the players. They aren’t the ones drafting themselves. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I didn’t say Percy Butler sucked. I said they drafted him to play Buffalo nickel, talked him up and then immediately drafted another guy a year later to replace him in that role without giving him a chance. It’s more of indictment on Rivera and crew than it is the players. They aren’t the ones drafting themselves. 

I believe Ron said the same of every safety he's drafted. Curl, DeFo, Butler & now Martin who they view as a slot buffalo no nickel/slot CB who can play both S positions as well bc he did in college, I also think he played outside CB as a young player.

Ron says the same things about position groups almost all the time. 

• 4 months later...
On 5/11/2023 at 3:37 PM, turtle28 said:

Happy Season 5 GIF by The Office

Funny , you describle Mccain as a safety "hybrid". Same I read bout Quan .. I HATE tweeners and hybrids -Hate 'em . This guy might work out but, Best grade I found for him was round 3 - limited looking I'll admit . He sure didn't jump out in camp or preseason . Now got concussed on S teams  first game . Looks like it's leaning to yet another blown rd 2 pick. Next year we need to box it with our ONE and trade up for a L T . ( Provided we don't have to consider a Q B ! one again )

On 5/11/2023 at 7:35 PM, lavar703 said:

Yet other than one miscommunication in the first 2 weeks, Butler has looked good and he's a great special teams player.

Also, as you already know they play 5 DBs and sometimes 3 safeties almost all game and even 6 DBs at times. People keep whining about us not taking more LBs but the DBs we are taking are playing over that 3rd LB.

45 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Funny , you describle Mccain as a safety "hybrid". Same I read bout Quan .. I HATE tweeners and hybrids -Hate 'em . This guy might work out but, Best grade I found for him was round 3 - limited looking I'll admit . He sure didn't jump out in camp or preseason . Now got concussed on S teams  first game . Looks like it's leaning to yet another blown rd 2 pick. Next year we need to box it with our ONE and trade up for a L T . ( Provided we don't have to consider a Q B ! one again )

We can't say right now, he's developing still into the role they want to use him in.

I like the idea of packaging our 2nd with the #32 pick in April to moveup and draft a good OT prospect.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Yet other than one miscommunication in the first 2 weeks, Butler has looked good and he's a great special teams player.

Also, as you already know they play 5 DBs and sometimes 3 safeties almost all game and even 6 DBs at times. People keep whining about us not taking more LBs but the DBs we are taking are playing over that 3rd LB.

Probably not the best time to respond to this considering Butler got absolutely toasted. 

12 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

We can't say right now, he's developing still into the role they want to use him in.

I like the idea of packaging our 2nd with the #32 pick in April to moveup and draft a good OT prospect.

maybe you can tell me. who has been our slot guy so far ? Looked like Butler has been deep cobearge. we got so many DBs out there . I don't know who's where . ! Looks like Butler has been deep coverage.

59 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

maybe you can tell me. who has been our slot guy so far ? Looked like Butler has been deep cobearge. we got so many DBs out there . I don't know who's where . ! Looks like Butler has been deep coverage.

When they go 3 wide receivers its St. Juste in the slot.

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

Pretty sure St Juste has been moving to the slot and Forbes has taken his spot on the boundary. 

• Like 1