Why I believe Kirk Cousins will be a New York Jet

jetskid007

10 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

That’s my concern. Cousins is good but he’s not Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers. He can’t elevate the entire offense. This team has a history of “ruining” QBs and if the plan is to sign Cousins, and draft and spend on our underahieving defense I can’t see that ending well.

if they sign Cousins Bowles and Mac are going all in.

A big perk of getting Cousins is eliminating the QB need that we’d have to address early in the draft. Allowing us to help him out in other ways. Via FA and draft I’d imagine we address RB, C and possibly even WR and OT for him. I think our defense will be just fine as long as we add an edge rusher and another CB. It’s completely realistic to believe we can address these needs via draft with 4 quality picks and 30mill in cap space (after draft money to the side and resigning our own).

Edge Rusher

RB

Center

Cornerback

LT

WR

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

A big perk of getting Cousins is eliminating the QB need that we’d have to address early in the draft. Allowing us to help him out in other ways. Via FA and draft I’d imagine we address RB, C and possibly even WR and OT for him. I think our defense will be just fine as long as we add an edge rusher and another CB. It’s completely realistic to believe we can address these needs via draft with 4 quality picks and 30mill in cap space (after draft money to the side and resigning our own).

Edge Rusher

RB

Center

Cornerback

LT

WR

Man that’s a lot of needs to just go and address. Way easier said than done, especially with how this team drafts.

They better have a solid plan in place

Just now, GangGreen420 said:

Man that’s a lot of needs to just go and address. Way easier said than done, especially with how this team drafts.

They better have a solid plan in place

Its Maccs job to have a plan in place. If he messes it up he has to go. You can’t have 4 quality picks and 100mill in cap space and not hit atleast 5+ needs.

Just now, Bobby816 said:

Its Maccs job to have a plan in place. If he messes it up he has to go. You can’t have 4 quality picks and 100mill in cap space and not hit atleast 5+ needs.

Hence my lack of confidence.

Its just different faces, same results with this franchise. Mac has been more of the same so far.

The offense is not as far off as some think. We were a respectable unit with JOSH MCCOWN at the helm. We should expect positive-regression from our young receivers (Stewart, Hansen), were getting Enunwa back, and we have a lot of resources to help improve the offense at OL/RB/TE. 

Signing Kirk is an upgrade on what we had in Josh. That, with expected improvement from our young players on defense and offense should alone have us in the playoff hunt next year. 

10 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

The offense is not as far off as some think. We were a respectable unit with JOSH MCCOWN at the helm. We should expect positive-regression from our young receivers (Stewart, Hansen), were getting Enunwa back, and we have a lot of resources to help improve the offense at OL/RB/TE. 

Signing Kirk is an upgrade on what we had in Josh. That, with expected improvement from our young players on defense and offense should alone have us in the playoff hunt next year. 

The “playoff hunt” isn’t good enough in year 4 with your flashy new highest paid QB in the league it should be playoffs or goodbye.

3 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

The “playoff hunt” isn’t good enough in year 4 with your flashy new highest paid QB in the league it should be playoffs or goodbye.

Saying Year 4 without acknowledging that our rebuild is only 1 year through the process is a mistake IMO.

I'd also say our team is already comparable to the Redskins except we are healthier and have a better defense. I think with 50M in cap and 4 high draft picks there is no reason to think this t am can't make the playoffs next year. 

The idea is sustained success, once we need to hand out contracts to our young guys in 2020 Cousins cap hit could be $24M which would put him at 12.0% of our cap and it would drop even lower than that in year 4, 5, & 6. To put that in perspective that is lower than Wilson, Newton, Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Big Ben, Eli, Rivers and Ryan. I do think Cousins is comparable those players considering he's only in his 3rd year starting. Don't let the high initial number fool you, that's the price of doing business.

2 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

Saying Year 4 without acknowledging that our rebuild is only 1 year through the process is a mistake IMO.

I'd also say our team is already comparable to the Redskins except we are healthier and have a better defense. I think with 50M in cap and 4 high draft picks there is no reason to think this t am can't make the playoffs next year. 

The idea is sustained success, once we need to hand out contracts to our young guys in 2020 Cousins cap hit could be $24M which would put him at 12.0% of our cap and it would drop even lower than that in year 4, 5, & 6. To put that in perspective that is lower than Wilson, Newton, Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Big Ben, Eli, Rivers and Ryan. I do think Cousins is comparable those players considering he's only in his 3rd year starting. Don't let the high initial number fool you, that's the price of doing business.

We are not in year 1 of a rebuild. We are going into year 4. The coach and GM do not get a pass on these past 2 seasons because they went all in 2015. That’s asinine.

We are ranked below Washington in total defense.

I get the financials. I’m more concerned about his inability to get Washington to the post season. We are not a better team. Can we become one? Yes

29 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I agree with everything except WR. Getting a healthy Enunwa will help but it’s not like he’s a star WR. He was a solid #2 WR. Stewart and Hansen only combined for 13 rec. 115yds all season. It’s hard to get excited about them and a future with them. They didn’t do anything to show a future is bright with them.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

I agree with everything except WR. Getting a healthy Enunwa will help but it’s not like he’s a star WR. He was a solid #2 WR. Stewart and Hansen only combined for 13 rec. 115yds all season. It’s hard to get excited about them and a future with them. They didn’t do anything to show a future is bright with them.

If those 2 don’t contribute anything next year I’m going to be alarmed

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

I don't think our offense is really off, but honestly, if I had a choice, i'd get rid of every single lineman on that o-line.  Every single one except for Beachum has been playing at a low level this year.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

The other thing that boils my blood with Stewart is that we traded down with the Vikes who snagged Elflein who would've been useful to this line.

If McCown would have played the entire season, I think this team would have won 6 games. I think we would have beating the chargers. The thing to remember is that we lost so many games in the 4th quarter because McCown couldn't close the deal. So, even though McCown had a great season by McCown standards, it's worse than a normal Cousins season. My guess is that as is this team would win 2 or 3 more games if you just replace Cousins for McCown. An 8 or 9 win team or a borderline playoff team. Fix the center, edge, and cornerback position and we are a playoff team. 

5 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

If those 2 don’t contribute anything next year I’m going to be alarmed

There is no way I'm going to be alarmed that a 3rd or 4th round pick didn't work out. If you looks at the best drafting teams they are netting 2 starters in every draft. If they show anything I'm ecstatic. Macc finding talent in UDFAs and the waiver wire are an incredibly valuable thing that people don't credit enough. We are finding starter caliber players for pennies on the dollar. 

Archived