Why I believe Kirk Cousins will be a New York Jet

jetskid007

3 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

So then you'll be content if we still have no QB a few years from now?

I’ll be content drafting a QB that’s not Josh Allen. 

What I won’t be content with is merely one and done playoff appearances. So we better build this team fast.

1 minute ago, GangGreen420 said:

I’ll be content drafting a QB that’s not Josh Allen. 

What I won’t be content with is merely one and done playoff appearances. So we better build this team fast.

But what if Darnold doesn't declare and Mayfield and Rosen go 1, 2?

17 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Tons of things can happen. So it’s Cousins or bust is what your saying?

No, i'm saying IMO it's Cousins, Mayfield, Rosen or bust.  Sure, Teddy B. could be a good stop gap, but his has questionable medicals.  Alex Smith would be fine for a stop gap, but we're giving up a pick for him.  Case Keenum will likely get close to 20 mil a year, etc. 

Best thing for Jets is to focus on a pair of quarterbacks. Not one like Cousins or Rosen or we are screwed.

I seriously believe that Jets will add 2 new qbs to the roster. Otherwise will be unwise.

Josh McCown addition may be flexible to any qb because he can either start a bunch of games or serve secondarily.

Kirk Cousins addition would indicate the 4th round or later possibility for qb.

Alex Smith addition would make Jets grab best qb available in 2nd or 3rd round.

If Jets plan to draft a qb in 1st round, no matter who is it then McCown should be re-signed.  I would pursue Alex Smith if Sam Darnold, Drew Lock and Jarrett Stidham forgo their NCAA eligibility for NFL. Go for Kirk Cousins if Jets have no confidence in drafting right qb.

1 hour ago, barnaby8787 said:

No, i'm saying IMO it's Cousins, Mayfield, Rosen or bust.  Sure, Teddy B. could be a good stop gap, but his has questionable medicals.  Alex Smith would be fine for a stop gap, but we're giving up a pick for him.  Case Keenum will likely get close to 20 mil a year, etc. 

The only free agent QB I would entertain is Cousins but I still wouldn’t overpay him. He’s the only one you can get 5 good years of play from. Bridgewater has upside so maybe there’s a scenario, but I want nothing to do with Keenum, Smith, etc

I want an answer and the only answers are Cousins for about 4-5 years maybe more or hit on one in the draft and be set for 10.

if the Jets think they can sign Cousins, surround him with better than he has in Wash (which I’m not sure is so simple) and bring us a SuperBowl in the intermediate future then I’m okay with it. But if the plan is sign Cousins, give him what we gave every other QB we’ve had the past decade or so, little to nothing, and continue to focus on Bowles crappy defense, we will get no where. Hell if we sign Cousins and pick any defensive player other than Chubb I’ll be angry. Don’t screw it up. Get him someone on the line, or Barkley, just help the offense.

isnt there rumors that Morton was too “pass happy” for some this year (Forte lol Bowles?) If we make Cousins the highest paid player in football we better build the offense around passing the ball, not trying to run some washed up vet into the ground. Balance is good, but you just made a guy the highest paid player in the league. Let him throw the ball

Im almost warmjng up to Cousins merely from the fact I have such little faith in Bowles, he would be the best QB to go through a regime change. If they actually have a PLAN for Cousins I could live with it. That scares me with this staff in place.

On 12/25/2017 at 12:11 AM, rdelaney89 said:

He didn't want to pay Cousins a big contract because he thought that first year was a fluke against an easy schedule so they tagged him. If they believed in him they would have signed him long term but instead said "prove it" with just a one year commitment. Then they offered him the 2nd highest paid QB contract this year and he said he wanted to play on the 24M tag and let the market decide what he's worth. I don't think he has any intention of staying with the Redskins.

Problem is he really doesn't have the leverage with the possibility of the "transition tag".  WAS can let him test the market and then would have 7 days to match.  Cousins would have to really and publicly force his way out of WAS if he wants to go to DEN, JAC, or here.  I don't see him doing that and unless WAS as an organization is stupid (not entirely out of the question given recent events) then once signed they would match and have their QB locked in at market value.

Unless I'm understanding something incorrectly or WAS is really OK with him walking which I doubt then he probably ends up back in WAS.

We should start focusing on trading up for Rosen/Mayfield or start figuring out how to mold the offense to Jackson's skill set because reality is starting to set in.

40 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

If we got Cousins then Sutton or St.Brown at 6th would be an outstanding start.

I agree. If we get a cousins then i don’t want another qb until sixth round latest. 

No need for another qb when we would have Hack as the developmental high draft pick.

57 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

The only free agent QB I would entertain is Cousins but I still wouldn’t overpay him. He’s the only one you can get 5 good years of play from. Bridgewater has upside so maybe there’s a scenario, but I want nothing to do with Keenum, Smith, etc

I want an answer and the only answers are Cousins for about 4-5 years maybe more or hit on one in the draft and be set for 10.

if the Jets think they can sign Cousins, surround him with better than he has in Wash (which I’m not sure is so simple) and bring us a SuperBowl in the intermediate future then I’m okay with it. But if the plan is sign Cousins, give him what we gave every other QB we’ve had the past decade or so, little to nothing, and continue to focus on Bowles crappy defense, we will get no where. Hell if we sign Cousins and pick any defensive player other than Chubb I’ll be angry. Don’t screw it up. Get him someone on the line, or Barkley, just help the offense.

isnt there rumors that Morton was too “pass happy” for some this year (Forte lol Bowles?) If we make Cousins the highest paid player in football we better build the offense around passing the ball, not trying to run some washed up vet into the ground. Balance is good, but you just made a guy the highest paid player in the league. Let him throw the ball

Im almost warmjng up to Cousins merely from the fact I have such little faith in Bowles, he would be the best QB to go through a regime change. If they actually have a PLAN for Cousins I could live with it. That scares me with this staff in place.

They have the money to surround him with the talent, so there's no reason not to.  They're not investing 30 mil in a QB for him to have zero o-line or weapons.

1 hour ago, GangGreen420 said:

If Bowles wants to run more then he may actually like Lamar Jackson.  If we can't get Rosen/Mayfield then building the team around the run like of the 2015 Bills is the way to go.  Tons of read option stuff, quick easy passes to the TE and Enunwa to keep the chains moving and the deep shots to Anderson to keep the defense honest.  I think with Jackson and a 2nd-3rd round RB in this stacked class and an upgrade to the OL with a high end FA Center we are heading in the right direction on offense.  Spend the rest of the money and draft capital on the defense and we should have no issues being in the playoff hunt even if Jackson struggles to pass at times.   

Archived