Why I believe Kirk Cousins will be a New York Jet

jetskid007

I’ll also add that Morton I bet loves Cousins. Look at his last couple years and you see who his favorite targets have been. You see him really liking to throw to the TE (Jordan Reed and Vernon Davis), RB (Thompson before his injury this year) and the deep ball (Jackson last year and even Crowder some as well). These are main things Morton loves to do in his offense.

58 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

27 actually and Cousins is 29.

27 and a 6 year deal until 33 looks a lot better than 29 until 33-35.  Plus Brees showed more in last season at SD than Cousins has shown.  Brees is also a special case of how he takes care of himself and has one of the premier trainers in the NFL, Todd Durkin, who helped LT stay healthy and dominate his entire career.  I know nothing about Cousins' life and training but he doesn't strike me as someone who is striving to be the best like a Brees, Manning or Brady is.  As much as I hate Brady, there is a reason he plays and looks so young.

38 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I’ll also add that Morton I bet loves Cousins. Look at his last couple years and you see who his favorite targets have been. You see him really liking to throw to the TE (Jordan Reed and Vernon Davis), RB (Thompson before his injury this year) and the deep ball (Jackson last year and even Crowder some as well). These are main things Morton loves to do in his offense.

Which is great IF we can get a friendly deal.  This is not someone to gamble 60+ million on.  When I see the phrase "highest paid ever" next to Kirk Cousins it makes me quiver.

3 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Which is great IF we can get a friendly deal.  This is not someone to gamble 60+ million on.  When I see the phrase "highest paid ever" next to Kirk Cousins it makes me quiver.

He’s a top 10 QB in the NFL, he’s not a gamble at all. It’d be great to just draft a franchise QB. But that’s a HUGE gamble. Hints why we don’t have one and haven’t had one in a very long time. There’s no sure franchise QB in this draft. In fact every QB in this draft class is a risk. When a franchise QB hits FA, absolutely you have to overpay them. Bc they only hit FA once  a decade it seems. Luckily for us it’s in a year we have a ton of money to spend.

10 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I'm not saying Cousins isn't or wouldn't be good but I have a hard time dishing out "highest paid" money to a guy who is 29 and never had any playoff runs.

It’s about the individual talent and the situation. In order to be a great qb you have to be in the league for awhile and be a proven player. Therefor that player will have to be between 25-30yrs old. Cousins is now a proven top 5-10 QB for 3 seasons now. I absolutely think he will be overpaid. But that’s the situation, bc qbs like this don’t hit FA. Any UFA you generally have to overpay regardless of position. Cousins if he wasn’t a FA would make 20-25mill. So to give him 25-30mill is actually reasonable. And being that we’re a franchise starving for a franchise QB and we have 75mill in cap space. The interest has to be there for him.

Cousins would be 30 before next season starts. Why are you guys still typing 29? Why are people going with the assumption that he'll last 10 years just because he's a pocket QB? Getting Kirk Cousins only makes since if you're already a borderline playoff team. Him going to Buffalo makes a lot of sense considering he is good enough to get them over that little hump. I don't think he's good enough to get the Jets over that bigger hump especially not for his asking price

5 minutes ago, Malik said:

Cousins would be 30 before next season starts. Why are you guys still typing 29? Why are people going with the assumption that he'll last 10 years just because he's a pocket QB? Getting Kirk Cousins only makes since if you're already a borderline playoff team. Him going to Buffalo makes a lot of sense considering he is good enough to get them over that little hump. I don't think he's good enough to get the Jets over that bigger hump especially not for his asking price

And we spent the past offseason getting rid of older players and bad locker room guys.  We are changing the culture here and making a complete overhaul.  30 year old QB doesn't fit that mold and by the time the team is ready to make a serious run he may be 32-33.

41 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

27 and a 6 year deal until 33 looks a lot better than 29 until 33-35. Plus Brees showed more in last season at SD than Cousins has shown.  Brees is also a special case of how he takes care of himself and has one of the premier trainers in the NFL, Todd Durkin, who helped LT stay healthy and dominate his entire career.  I know nothing about Cousins' life and training but he doesn't strike me as someone who is striving to be the best like a Brees, Manning or Brady is.  As much as I hate Brady, there is a reason he plays and looks so young.

What??

64% 3,500 yards 24TDs and 15 INTs

67% 4,100 yards 25 TDs and 12 INTs

Guess which one Brees is and which one Cousins is. Guess which one had a HoF RB and HoF TE. The better stats here are Cousins worst year as a starter. Please explain how Brees was better in SD the Cousins is better in Washington.

3 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

What??

64% 3,500 yards 24TDs and 15 INTs

67% 4,100 yards 25 TDs and 12 INTs

Guess which one Brees is and which one Cousins is. Guess which one had a HoF RB and HoF TE. The better stats here are Cousins worst year as a starter. Please explain how Brees was better in SD the Cousins is better in Washington.

OK fair enough, Cousins has put up better stats.  I'll admit I assumed Brees has better stats. I just don't see Cousins as a winner, a leader or having it.

20 minutes ago, Malik said:

He hasn't sustained a debilitating injury, he doesn't rely on arm stregnth or speed in his game, he is playing the most protected position in all of professional sports; there's no reason to think a 6 year contract can't be played out. No one is assuming 10 years but there really isn't any reason to say he can't play 10 years especially considering what current QBs are accomplishing. Look no further than our own 38 year old journeyman.

13 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I didn't say he did, I'm talking about Cousins not being a winner or leader.  You don't magically become that at 30.

Brees' struggle led them to draft Eli Manning. How is that for being a winner?

Redskins keep franchising Cousins to fill out team salary cap and neglect other needs. That is why Redskins, not Cousins, are not a winner.  This off season Redskins will tag him as FP again.  Same old story for Redskins the "loser"

Joe Montana was a winner for 49ers but Steve Young was not. Both put up enough numbers to get themselves in HOF. Why can't Cousins, who has been on right track for HOF?

2 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Brees' struggle led them to draft Eli Manning. How is that for being a winner?

Redskins keep franchising Cousins to fill out team salary cap and neglect other needs. That is why Redskins, not Cousins, are not a winner.  This off season Redskins will tag him as FP again.  Same old story for Redskins the "loser"

Joe Montana was a winner for 49ers but Steve Young was not. Both put up enough numbers to get themselves in HOF. Why can't Cousins, who has been on right track for HOF?

I didn't say Brees was a winner in SD, it's obvious why they drafted Rivers then once he got to NO he turned it around but at 27.  I said the way he takes care of himself he's been able to play so long.  I don't see Cousins as that type of guy like him or Brady.

Cousins and HOF? C'mon.

Ok I'll rephrase.  Both 27 year old Brees and 30 year old Cousins are tough gambles for $60+ million and highest paid with the other talented QBs out there.  Hindsight you do that all day with Brees.  I don't see Cousins coming close to that.  Your argument about we need to overpay for a QB is good and I agree I just can't get onboard with Cousins at 30.  I'd rather try to find one in the draft and trade up for Jackson or another QB if someone looks good leading up to the draft.

Archived