Why I believe Kirk Cousins will be a New York Jet

jetskid007

If we had Kirk Cousins we'd possibly be contenders right now. Football at the end of the day is still a team game for much Credit/Blame QBs get on a weekly basis it really has just as much to do with the team around them. Cousins has never had a stable run game in his career and this year has no Recievers outside of an Oft-injured Jordan Reed and Chris Thompson, Imagine him throwing to Q, Robby, Kearse, and ASJ next year. Sign him, Grab a C, RB, and Edge Rusher and we're in business.

11 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I didn't say Brees was a winner in SD, it's obvious why they drafted Rivers then once he got to NO he turned it around but at 27.  I said the way he takes care of himself he's been able to play so long.  I don't see Cousins as that type of guy like him or Brady.

Cousins and HOF? C'mon.

Ok I'll rephrase.  Both 27 year old Brees and 30 year old Cousins are tough gambles for $60+ million and highest paid with the other talented QBs out there.  Hindsight you do that all day with Brees.  I don't see Cousins coming close to that.  Your argument about we need to overpay for a QB is good and I agree I just can't get onboard with Cousins at 30.  I'd rather try to find one in the draft and trade up for Jackson or another QB if someone looks good leading up to the draft.

Brees was fortunate that he transferred to right system.  No question about that.  Cousins already gets numbers right there. You can't ignore that.

I understand the concern of 60m qb that may fail to get Jets to playoff or Super Bowl but right now, Jets need a sturdy qb to build around inside the franchise team. When is the last time Jets have the same qb for 5 or 6 good years?  Cousins fits there, a rookie or young veteran qb doesn't.

Fact is Cousins is a sure thing. You know his talent can succeed in the NFL. Obviously he will cost a significant amount of money, but we have that money to spend. If anything he can succeed more in a Morton offense. There’s no sure thing in the draft.

5 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Fact is Cousins is a sure thing. You know his talent can succeed in the NFL. Obviously he will cost a significant amount of money, but we have that money to spend. If anything he can succeed more in a Morton offense. There’s no sure thing in the draft.

If Redskins tagged him again and demanded 2 1st round picks, no less, to obtain him, would you do it?

For me, I have to pass on. If Jets willingly traded a 1st round pick for qb then Bengals' Andy Dalton and his 3 year service would suffice it. I certainly remember you said that any qb can work in Morton's offense so there is Dalton the 20m cheaper.

No thanks to Kirk Cousins. He is not a franchise QB in my mind, but is going to get paid like one and also the cost will be substantial to acquire.

We are in position to draft our next QB, and we have a lot of cap space to improve in several areas while also adding QB depth. That should be the course we take. 

Besides, if Kirk Cousins chooses us over everywhere else he could land, he's clearly going for the cash grab. I don't want an unmotivated player who comes here for money. 

Last year, we drafted our defensive leader (Adams) and it has worked out well. This year, let's draft our offensive leader and take it from there.

If he gets franchised tagged again I hope this just ends this conversation. Signing  him to a 25 million dollar a year contract is disgusting to begin with, but having to trade draft picks to do so would be an absolute monstrosity and should get the GM fired immediately. 

1 hour ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I didn't say he did, I'm talking about Cousins not being a winner or leader.  You don't magically become that at 30.

Brees did but not win his second playoff game until he was 30 years old after 7 years as a starting QB. 

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

If Redskins tagged him again and demanded 2 1st round picks, no less, to obtain him, would you do it?

For me, I have to pass on. If Jets willingly traded a 1st round pick for qb then Bengals' Andy Dalton and his 3 year service would suffice it. I certainly remember you said that any qb can work in Morton's offense so there is Dalton the 20m cheaper.

Yes I’d pass on giving up 2 1st for him. But I don’t think Washington will hold him hostage for another year. I don’t think we’d have to give up more than maybe 1 of our 2nd Rounders for him if it’s a sign and trade type deal. We can offer him 30mill his 1st year to make it where Washington can’t really match, the make his salary cheaper as the contract goes on. He wants out of Washington let’s not forget.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Yes I’d pass on giving up 2 1st for him. But I don’t think Washington will hold him hostage for another year. I don’t think we’d have to give up more than maybe 1 of our 2nd Rounders for him if it’s a sign and trade type deal. We can offer him 30mill his 1st year to make it where Washington can’t really match, the make his salary cheaper as the contract goes on. He wants out of Washington let’s not forget.

Only GM/owner, with solid common sense will do it and Snyder is not one of them.

It would suck to make Cousins the highest paid QB in NFL history, but that's what it would take to bring him here. Id absolutely make the pitch to bring him here, he'd bring stability to this team in which we've haven't had in a long time. He's still in his prime, he's a smart QB and he's everything that we've been looking for since... Namath.

Given the options at QB this offseason, I don't see how we don't walk away with a answer for at least the next few years.

I don't think anyone can say they for a fact think that Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Jackson or Allen are better than Cousins. And its not about the money bc we have the money. Its about getting a franchise QB. Yes he's 29-30yrs old, but he still has 5-10yrs of playing football at a very high level. So what if we have to overpay him by 5mill per.

9 hours ago, JetsandI said:

No but I don't think any team would. Do you think the Redskins are willing to pay him $34M to have him walk next year? If they tag him and try to trade him then Cousins dictates where he goes because no deal goes through unless he signs a long term deal. That alone will destroy his trade value because there may only be a few teams he's interested in going to.

If the price is a 2nd then I have no problem paying it but I don't believe we'll need to trade for him.

1 hour ago, rdelaney89 said:

No but I don't think any team would. Do you think the Redskins are willing to pay him $34M to have him walk next year? If they tag him and try to trade him then Cousins dictates where he goes because no deal goes through unless he signs a long term deal. That alone will destroy his trade value because there may only be a few teams he's interested in going to.

If the price is a 2nd then I have no problem paying it but I don't believe we'll need to trade for him.

Depend on how many teams want him.  High 2nd round pick would be a good start. I can see Jaguars have no problem to give up 1st round pick since they may wind up in one of playoff selections (Draft).  Jets and Cardinals are too high to give up a 1st round pick.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I don't think anyone can say they for a fact think that Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Jackson or Allen are better than Cousins. And its not about the money bc we have the money. Its about getting a franchise QB. Yes he's 29-30yrs old, but he still has 5-10yrs of playing football at a very high level. So what if we have to overpay him by 5mill per.

It is not money they whine about. It is a faith for Cousins.  If Cousins turned out a FA bust, someone would absolutely complain about money.  Some of us don't think his talents for Jets are worth a gamble.  Some of us do. 

Archived