Why I believe Kirk Cousins will be a New York Jet

jetskid007

4 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Couglin/Marrone thing is not lazy.  If FO decided to tell Marrone to shut up and deal with Manning then Jaguars would have a dysfunctional system. That is last thing Couglin wants.  If Caldwell and Marrone want no part of Manning then Couglin will follow. Guaranteed.

Lee gets better Woods contract = 7.5m

Robinson gets Keenan Allen's contract for debate's sake = 7.7m

Cousins gets Stafford's contract without old prorated bonus = 11m

It is doable.  Don't sell me otherwise.

I can't see any way the Jags would want to push all his money into the years that they will need to resign all their young players.

As for Manning, have Marrone or Caldwell come out and say they don't want him? It would appear landing a QB on the cheap for 2 years while you groom a rookie would be the right move for that team.

4 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

I can't see any way the Jags would want to push all his money into the years that they will need to resign all their young players.

As for Manning, have Marrone or Caldwell come out and say they don't want him? It would appear landing a QB on the cheap for 2 years while you groom a rookie would be the right move for that team.

Young players like who?  Did I miss someone?   Jaguars are in good situation with kids.

If Caldwell and Couglin want Manning then so be it. However, Marrone holds the most key when it comes to 53 players because he makes game plan basing on the active roster. Couglin doesn't like Bortles but Jaguars went ahead and picked up his 5th option.  I still fail to see how will Couglin  overpower Jaguars for Eli Manning. Sorry, dude. you have nothing.

Manning and a rookie vs Cousins the 4 year for Caldwell and Couglin?  That is laughable. Cousins for Jaguars all the way.

5 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Couglin/Marrone thing is not lazy.  If FO decided to tell Marrone to shut up and deal with Manning then Jaguars would have a dysfunctional system. That is last thing Couglin wants.  If Caldwell and Marrone want no part of Manning then Couglin will follow. Guaranteed.

Unrealistic. Also, what makes you think Marrone wouldn't want Manning? Everything he has said about the position suggests he would get on his hands and knees for a player like Manning. Pure speculation to say that there would be "dysfunction"... I think you're just trying to create a scenario that fits your narrative to be honest... 

In regards to your proposed salaries, unlikely a team is giving Cousins a contract like Stafford's unless it were Washington, who is most familiar with him; it would be way too high of future cap hits (looking at $30+ million) and also a leap-of-faith commitment. Only 28 players under contract in 2019. If you bring back Fowler that's $15 million, You have to allocate money to Ramsey's contract/option, who will demand to be the highest paid defensive player/corner in the game. Parnell, Jack, Ngakoue also free agents in 2 years. Cousins' 2nd/3rd year cap hits would be somewhere north of $26 million. Doesn't include whatever new contracts added on this year (draft/FA). Sure you can restructure contracts, but still an unrealistic financial situation. 

14 hours ago, JetsandI said:

you do realize stafford's new deal is for 27 mill a year right/  you're using the last year of his old deal from years ago

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/29/kirk-cousins-washington-redskins-quarterback

Very relevant article for those who haven't read it yet. Understanding this about Cousins is another important factor in explaining why the Jets would be near the top of his list. On top of the money we can offer and access to some of the best consultants/medical staff in the league, the Jets have one of the best facilities in sports. 

12 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Young players like who?  Did I miss someone?   Jaguars are in good situation with kids.

If Caldwell and Couglin want Manning then so be it. However, Marrone holds the most key when it comes to 53 players because he makes game plan basing on the active roster. Couglin doesn't like Bortles but Jaguars went ahead and picked up his 5th option.  I still fail to see how will Couglin  overpower Jaguars for Eli Manning. Sorry, dude. you have nothing.

Manning and a rookie vs Cousins the 4 year for Caldwell and Couglin?  That is laughable. Cousins for Jaguars all the way.

You said you wanted to back load a Cousins deal with him making $11M in year 1. You said you wanted to sign him for the same deal as Stafford 5 years $135M, so if my math is correct you want to pay out the following?

Year 1 - $11M

Year 2 - $34M

Year 3 - $34M

Year 4 - $34M

Year 5 - $34M

An that's assuming you only wanted to front load 1 year. That's $7M more per year than any other any other QB. If I'm mistaken please correct me because I'm not sure I follow your logic.

On 12/5/2017 at 11:38 AM, rdelaney89 said:

You said you wanted to back load a Cousins deal with him making $11M in year 1. You said you wanted to sign him for the same deal as Stafford 5 years $135M, so if my math is correct you want to pay out the following?

Year 1 - $11M

Year 2 - $34M

Year 3 - $34M

Year 4 - $34M

Year 5 - $34M

An that's assuming you only wanted to front load 1 year. That's $7M more per year than any other any other QB. If I'm mistaken please correct me because I'm not sure I follow your logic.

Go to look at Matt Stafford's contractual structure. That 5 years 135m you talked about is an extension. However, it started on the final season of old contract which had 5.5m old prorated bonus.   Remove this old bonus, the new contract for a different qb should look like that (6y 151.5m).  You could add 1m or 2m each year to make Cousins richer than Stafford if you want to.

However, if you want to be side with Jetskid007 for Jets' opportunity to get Cousins then you have to pray that Cousins will sign F tag this instant.  Signed FT may force Redskins to take a lower deal as not many teams have enough cap space to cover Cousins' FT price of 2018 in case if there is no new contract for Cousins.  It is a tough task for Cousins because if he signs FT then he can't talk with other team as Redskins could send him to Browns for a mere 3rd round pick. lol.

Other logical possibility for Cousins joining Jets is Jets have to agree to cover a heavy front loaded contract so Redskins could not match due to their salary cap situation. He does that way in fear of Redskins' possibly match Stafford's contract from Jaguars or Broncos or whoever. That is why Jetskid007 called me unrealistic. However, it is unrealistic? Not if Redskins and Cousins come to verbal agreement because Redskins need better compensation in return for Cousins and move on.

5 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Go to look at Matt Stafford's contractual structure. That 5 years 135m you talked about is an extension. However, it started on the final season of old contract which had 5.5m old prorated bonus.   Remove this old bonus, the new contract for a different qb should look like that (6y 151.5m).  You could add 1m or 2m each year to make Cousins richer than Stafford if you want to.

However, if you want to be side with Jetskid007 for Jets' opportunity to get Cousins then you have to pray that Cousins will sign F tag this instant.  Signed FT may force Redskins to take a lower deal as not many teams have enough cap space to cover Cousins' FT price of 2018 in case if there is no new contract for Cousins.  It is a tough task for Cousins because if he signs FT then he can't talk with other team as Redskins could send him to Browns for a mere 3rd round pick. lol.

Other logical possibility for Cousins joining Jets is Jets have to agree to cover a heavy front loaded contract so Redskins could not match due to their salary cap situation. He does that way in fear of Redskins' possibly match Stafford's contract from Jaguars or Broncos or whoever. That is why Jetskid007 called me unrealistic. However, it is unrealistic? Not if Redskins and Cousins come to verbal agreement because Redskins need better compensation in return for Cousins and move on.

You said you wanted to pay $5.5 just like staffords deal, please explain how you can extend Cousins when he is a FA? He's going to sign a deal worth $28M per year, front loading it makes perfect sense given our current roster.

What makes you think Kirk won't want to play 1 year for $34M? If I'm Kirk and offered the franchise tag then I'm gonna play on it. The deal he gets will not change that much if he waits to hit FA next year. Not to mention he plays the most protected position in all of pro sports so risk of injury is pretty low. The Redskins have to be okay with paying Cousins on that type of deal because there is a real chance he blocks any trade to wait until next year. That is why the transition tag makes the most sense.

1 minute ago, rdelaney89 said:

You said you wanted to pay $5.5 just like staffords deal, please explain how you can extend Cousins when he is a FA? He's going to sign a deal worth $28M per year, front loading it makes perfect sense given our current roster.

What makes you think Kirk won't want to play 1 year for $34M? If I'm Kirk and offered the franchise tag then I'm gonna play on it. The deal he gets will not change that much if he waits to hit FA next year. Not to mention he plays the most protected position in all of pro sports so risk of injury is pretty low. The Redskins have to be okay with paying Cousins on that type of deal because there is a real chance he blocks any trade to wait until next year. That is why the transition tag makes the most sense.

5.5m?   That is old prorated bonus leftover from his old contract. That does not apply to a free agent quarterback.

Redskins don't have to be okay with covering Cousins' FT price. They HAVE TO keep Cousins under their control so they can get some compensation. If Redskins are prepared to lose him after 18 then they could trade him anywhere that can afford his FT for 18. Because of that, the transition tag is a really really really terrible idea. Hey, how do you know Redskins will tag him a transition player and suffer no compensation? What a stupid idea.

Cousins wants to play with another team. That is simple and plan.  34m for one year, barring injury vs 70m for 2 years with injury guaranteed.  Stafford has 60m over 2 years in case if you wonder.

Also, what makes you think Jets are only team that can pay 30m annually to Cousins?   Browns can too. Or hell, Cousins could earn 24m annually to play for Broncos or Jaguars.  You and I know nothing.

41 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

5.5m?   That is old prorated bonus leftover from his old contract. That does not apply to a free agent quarterback.

Redskins don't have to be okay with covering Cousins' FT price. They HAVE TO keep Cousins under their control so they can get some compensation. If Redskins are prepared to lose him after 18 then they could trade him anywhere that can afford his FT for 18. Because of that, the transition tag is a really really really terrible idea. Hey, how do you know Redskins will tag him a transition player and suffer no compensation? What a stupid idea.

Cousins wants to play with another team. That is simple and plan.  34m for one year, barring injury vs 70m for 2 years with injury guaranteed.  Stafford has 60m over 2 years in case if you wonder.

Also, what makes you think Jets are only team that can pay 30m annually to Cousins?   Browns can too. Or hell, Cousins could earn 24m annually to play for Broncos or Jaguars.  You and I know nothing.

You realize no team is going to sign a one year rental for a QB at $34M. Just cause a team has the cap space doesn't mean that Cousins will want to sign a long term deal with them. Cousins will dictate where he plays so if he says I want to play out my tag and then go to any team next year He can.

My question is why would he want to limit his options when he can choose to take Washingtons tag money (like he has the last 2 years) and then sign a massive deal next year?

Washington will only franchise him if they think he will sign long term, but he wants to test FA before he signs a deal. Washingtons best course of action is to transition tag him and match an offer if they can otherwise I believe Cousins will opt to play out the final franchise tag.

Might as well point out how well Blake Bortles has been playing... read he was #1 in the league in every positive statistical category in the league over the past 3-4 games.

If he keeps it up, Jacksonville will have no option but to bring him back for his 5th year option 

I think what will matter to Cousins will be a long term contract and getting paid his worth. I also think a decent OLine and some weapons will matter to him. After the OLine play of Washington and the injuries to some of his weapons I think those will be a factor. We are average in both categories. But we can tell him a direction we are looking to go in in FA and the draft to persuade him. For instance maybe we target a C in FA to help the OLine, get a WR in FA. Tell him we will prioritize LT and RB in the draft etc. We will have to do some convincing besides just offering a big contract.

13 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

Does Cousins want to go somewhere he can win? I haven’t heard much on that front.

I know there’s a lot on here that are very positive about the way this team is heading, but the truth is this is becoming one of the worst losing stretches in franchise history.

Losing stretches and potential without a QB go hand in hand. We are a team that is really young and has shown some really good fight plus we have a lot of assets to build around him. I think we are going to be a very tempting location.

like @jetskid007 said, with Bortles playing well I think there is a real chance he's brought back on his fifth year and I think that could lead to Eli going to a team like the Cardinals or Browns as a stop gap (or just stay on the Giants). I do have a feeling the Jaguars are out of the Cousins sweepstakes regardless. 

1 hour ago, rdelaney89 said:

Losing stretches and potential without a QB go hand in hand. We are a team that is really young and has shown some really good fight plus we have a lot of assets to build around him. I think we are going to be a very tempting location.

like @jetskid007 said, with Bortles playing well I think there is a real chance he's brought back on his fifth year and I think that could lead to Eli going to a team like the Cardinals or Browns as a stop gap (or just stay on the Giants). I do have a feeling the Jaguars are out of the Cousins sweepstakes regardless. 

I would be shocked if Jacksonville made a move to get Cousins. Bortles, has been playing great the last part of the season, he just need another real playmaker at WR. If Cousins does become available, I am sure the Cards would make a move to get him, they would be our main competition. It looks like we are going to stay at the # 10 pick in the draft, our chance of moving up in the draft are fading fast. With Rosen gone in the first pick, no way I think Mac will give up a bunch of future first round pick to get any of the other QB's in the draft. The worst possible scenario is that we let Mo go at the end of the season, and use our #1 pick on another D lineman, that would be just another parallel move. I not saying Mo shouldn't go, just don't use the #1 pick on a D lineman. This was supposed to be the year of the QB in the 2018 draft. Mac has got himself in a bind, by drafting two QB's Petty & Hack who have not pan out, he has to make some kind of bold move in the offseason, what that move is I have no idea. Our only chance is one of the QB's in the draft fall to us at ten. The chance of that happening are the same as Trump stop tweeting. If that doesn't happen Cousins could be our only option. The sad thing is we are really not far from being a real competitive team, we just need the right QB.

Archived