Why I believe Kirk Cousins will be a New York Jet

jetskid007

4 hours ago, doumeyer said:

I would be shocked if Jacksonville made a move to get Cousins. Bortles, has been playing great the last part of the season, he just need another real playmaker at WR. If Cousins does become available, I am sure the Cards would make a move to get him, they would be our main competition. It looks like we are going to stay at the # 10 pick in the draft, our chance of moving up in the draft are fading fast. With Rosen gone in the first pick, no way I think Mac will give up a bunch of future first round pick to get any of the other QB's in the draft. The worst possible scenario is that we let Mo go at the end of the season, and use our #1 pick on another D lineman, that would be just another parallel move. I not saying Mo shouldn't go, just don't use the #1 pick on a D lineman. This was supposed to be the year of the QB in the 2018 draft. Mac has got himself in a bind, by drafting two QB's Petty & Hack who have not pan out, he has to make some kind of bold move in the offseason, what that move is I have no idea. Our only chance is one of the QB's in the draft fall to us at ten. The chance of that happening are the same as Trump stop tweeting. If that doesn't happen Cousins could be our only option. The sad thing is we are really not far from being a real competitive team, we just need the right QB.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Jaguars are $8M over the cap right now so they would have to cut a lot of players just so they can sign him and then they likely have a 2 year window before most of their young players need contracts. They won't be able to heavily front load a contract that would likely be required if the transition tag is placed on Cousins. 

Arizona and Denver would have similar issues too. Only teams I see as really in play are Browns, Bills,  and Jets with the dark horse being the Steelers of Ben retires.

7 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

Losing stretches and potential without a QB go hand in hand. We are a team that is really young and has shown some really good fight plus we have a lot of assets to build around him. I think we are going to be a very tempting location.

like @jetskid007 said, with Bortles playing well I think there is a real chance he's brought back on his fifth year and I think that could lead to Eli going to a team like the Cardinals or Browns as a stop gap (or just stay on the Giants). I do have a feeling the Jaguars are out of the Cousins sweepstakes regardless. 

If Kirk wants to “win now” though, again why would he come here? I don’t think “young guys playing hard” is going to entice him.

If $$ is all he cares about then we probably stand the best chance. 

11 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

If Kirk wants to “win now” though, again why would he come here? I don’t think “young guys playing hard” is going to entice him.

Entice him by using draft picks and the rest of the FA money on weapons for him. Center, RB and WR mainly.

18 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Yes the young player do play hard but several of them are going to be big stars. In the 2018 draft we have he 10,42,52,74. picks, plus what we can do in the FA period. If Mac can get a QB, and not screw up his draft picks, I really believe we could be real contenders next year.

56 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

How much do you think he'll be willing to pass up to play on a contender? This would also mean that the Redskins did not Transition Tag him because any contract offered by a contender would be able to be matched by the Redskins. 

I think what some aren’t realizing is exactly how much money we have in FA. Even with signing our obvious own, the draft and signing Cousins at lets say 35mill. We still should have 25-30mill left in cap space. Meaning we can still adress FA needs like C, CB, RB, WR.

54 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

How much do you think he'll be willing to pass up to play on a contender? This would also mean that the Redskins did not Transition Tag him because any contract offered by a contender would be able to be matched by the Redskins. 

That depends on Cousins, and what’s really going on behind the scenes with Redskins management. The dude has made a ton of money these past few seasons, it wouldn’t be unrealistic for him to want to stay in Washington or take a little less to avoid playing in a wasteland like Cleveland or NYJ. I’m not inquiring about what he wants to make, I’m seeing if there has been any indication on what his intentions might be. Like I said already, if he’s chasing money, then there’s a good chance he’s a Jet.

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

Yes the young player do play hard but several of them are going to be big stars. In the 2018 draft we have he 10,42,52,74. picks, plus what we can do in the FA period. If Mac can get a QB, and not screw up his draft picks, I really believe we could be real contenders next year.

Yeah, acquiring a QB and hitting on draft picks, the specialty of the Jets..  should be simple 

35 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think what some aren’t realizing is exactly how much money we have in FA. Even with signing our obvious own, the draft and signing Cousins at lets say 35mill. We still should have 25-30mill left in cap space. Meaning we can still adress FA needs like C, CB, RB, WR.

Do you realize that it is really dumb for Mike Maccagnan to revert to old habit of FA spending after committing to young movement for measly one season?

I still have Cousins going to Jaguars.  Jaguars want 5 year starter, not one season a time type qb. Cousins wants to play elsewhere.

If Cousins is all about money then Browns have a shot. There is very good chance for Hue Jackson to hire Ben McAdoo as offensive coordinator.  Solid GM and solid OC mean 4-6 years in the book for Cousins. The bonus for Browns is to have many premium picks so they could easily lose one pick for him. 

2 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

That depends on Cousins, and what’s really going on behind the scenes with Redskins management. The dude has made a ton of money these past few seasons, it wouldn’t be unrealistic for him to want to stay in Washington or take a little less to avoid playing in a wasteland like Cleveland or NYJ. I’m not inquiring about what he wants to make, I’m seeing if there has been any indication on what his intentions might be. Like I said already, if he’s chasing money, then there’s a good chance he’s a Jet.

Yeah, acquiring a QB and hitting on draft picks, the specialty of the Jets..  should be simple 

Cousins' contract will be tricky since he is a money man.  Because he already is tagged as F-tag twice in career he will always have 44 percent raise from previous season if he is tagged again anywhere.  That means he may ask for two things on one contract.

1. Largest guaranteed money upon a signing.  It does not necessarily mean front ending contract (base salary).

2. Make sure the final two years of 5 or 6 year contract will be at least 33-35m (base salary) per season.

58 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Do you realize that it is really dumb for Mike Maccagnan to revert to old habit of FA spending after committing to young movement for measly one season?

I still have Cousins going to Jaguars.  Jaguars want 5 year starter, not one season a time type qb. Cousins wants to play elsewhere.

If Cousins is all about money then Browns have a shot. There is very good chance for Hue Jackson to hire Ben McAdoo as offensive coordinator.  Solid GM and solid OC mean 4-6 years in the book for Cousins. The bonus for Browns is to have many premium picks so they could easily lose one pick for him. 

Cousins doesn’t affect a youth movement at all. We have 4 quality picks in the draft to get some real talent. Especially if we fill the QB spot in FA. It opens up a lot of avenues for us in the draft. We can go Barkley at RB, Edge rusher, CB or LT at 10. Then with 2nd Rounders we can grab what we didn’t get at 10. A guy like Allen Robinson in FA is only 25yrs old. That’s a future. There’s a couple quality C in FA that can play for several more years as well.

5 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Agreed and this needs to be stated more. We can spend money, but it has to be smart and and the contracts have to be constructed carefully. I hope we dont go ape-#$%t in FA but fixing the OL and adding a pass rusher would be a great start. I fear that if we go all-in for cousins we are going all-in on everything and it could be the disaster we just got out of. 

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

Agreed and this needs to be stated more. We can spend money, but it has to be smart and and the contracts have to be constructed carefully. I hope we dont go ape-#$%t in FA but fixing the OL and adding a pass rusher would be a great start. I fear that if we go all-in for cousins we are going all-in on everything and it could be the disaster we just got out of. 

I disagree. Don’t spend the cap money on old guys. Spend on young guys and fill the holes with draft picks or young guys. Signings like Fitz, Revis, Cro, Forte, etc need to be done. But signing guys in their mid 20s is 100% ok.

Just now, Bobby816 said:

I disagree. Don’t spend the cap money on old guys. Spend on young guys and fill the holes with draft picks or young guys. Signings like Fitz, Revis, Cro, Forte, etc need to be done. But signing guys in their mid 20s is 100% ok.

@Bobby816 youre scaring me with your reading comprehension. Where in that post did I suggest us to spend money on "OLD GUYS"? 

5 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

@Bobby816 youre scaring me with your reading comprehension. Where in that post did I suggest us to spend money on "OLD GUYS"? 

You never said old guys but you did say contracts need to be structured carefully. That’s every contract. So im not sure why you said that. And actually Macc did a good job on structuring the contracts. The problem was that most the guys should have never been offered contracts bc they were old.

Just now, Bobby816 said:

You never said old guys but you did say contracts need to be structured carefully. That’s every contract. So im not sure why you said that. And actually Macc did a good job on structuring the contracts. The problem was that most the guys should have never been offered contracts bc they were old.

Yeah which means if we do decided to throw big money at a single person we construct it so we can have an out-clause after 2 years...i.e. Mo this year (at least for the most part)

I dont want a single guy over 28. Cousins is different because hes not that old when speaking about a QB. 

Archived