Why I believe Kirk Cousins will be a New York Jet

jetskid007

You nearly always have to pay a FA more than what they’re actually worth. Especially when you’re not a top team. Why would a good player want to come to bottom teams besides money?

Good QBs virtually never hit the market. Peyton was the most recent and he was several years older than Cousins. Brees years ago Is the only other example I can think of in recent years. Is Cousins Worth 30mill/per? Probably not. But he’s not a risk really at all. You know he has talent, he rarely gets injured and should have 5+ good years of football left in him. There’s not a single option out there besides Cousins that’s not a risk. Any drafted QB is a risk. Bridgewater is a risk. If we were tight on cap space and in the next year or 2 had to pay a bunch of our own talent I’d be saying No to Cousins. But that’s not the case. After cuts, we will have around 100mill in cap space. 30mill is a small portion of that. And for the most important position in the game that we as a franchise have lacked for years? It’s worth it. 

47 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

You nearly always have to pay a FA more than what they’re actually worth. Especially when you’re not a top team. Why would a good player want to come to bottom teams besides money?

Good QBs virtually never hit the market. Peyton was the most recent and he was several years older than Cousins. Brees years ago Is the only other example I can think of in recent years. Is Cousins Worth 30mill/per? Probably not. But he’s not a risk really at all. You know he has talent, he rarely gets injured and should have 5+ good years of football left in him. There’s not a single option out there besides Cousins that’s not a risk. Any drafted QB is a risk. Bridgewater is a risk. If we were tight on cap space and in the next year or 2 had to pay a bunch of our own talent I’d be saying No to Cousins. But that’s not the case. After cuts, we will have around 100mill in cap space. 30mill is a small portion of that. And for the most important position in the game that we as a franchise have lacked for years? It’s worth it. 

I understand the money thing, and if he does become available I am sure we would have a very good shot of signing him. I can't every remember a star QB in the NFL leaving his team without that team having a replacement. Like when Drew Brees, left SD they had Rivers. When YA Title left the 49ers to play for the Giants, they had John Brode, ready to play. There were guys like Favre, Montana, Manning, Unitas, who were all at the very end of their careers when they left their team.  I understand the money problems the Redskins have trying to resigning him but I can't get it out of my head that have to keep him. Let hope I am wrong.

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

I understand the money thing, and if he does become available I am sure we would have a very good shot of signing him. I can't every remember a star QB in the NFL leaving his team without that team having a replacement. Like when Drew Brees, left SD they had Rivers. When YA Title left the 49ers to play for the Giants, they had John Brode, ready to play. There were guys like Favre, Montana, Manning, Unitas, who were all at the very end of their careers when they left their team.  I understand the money problems the Redskins have trying to resigning him but I can't get it out of my head that have to keep him. Let hope I am wrong.

It’s a different NFL now than it was with franchise tags and all. That’s mainly why these types of guys don’t hid the FA market. It’s also a QB driven league. And teams don’t letbtheres get away often.

59 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

It's not only money problems, it's how they've treated him since he got there. The owner never fully backed him and rather than paying him a competitive wage opted to franchise him to say "prove to me it wasn't a fluke" Cousins has had to play with a chip on his shoulder since being 2nd fiddle to RG3. The guy is self motivated and owes the Redskins nothing. The biggest loser is the Redskins fan base because they are losing the best QB they've had in years and the only thing they might get back is a late 3rd round comp pick.

3 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

It's not only money problems, it's how they've treated him since he got there. The owner never fully backed him and rather than paying him a competitive wage opted to franchise him to say "prove to me it wasn't a fluke" Cousins has had to play with a chip on his shoulder since being 2nd fiddle to RG3. The guy is self motivated and owes the Redskins nothing. The biggest loser is the Redskins fan base because they are losing the best QB they've had in years and the only thing they might get back is a late 3rd round comp pick.

Is that what Dan Snyder really said to him? I have seen this kind of thing happen in MLB but never in the NFL that I know about. I remember  when Branch  Rickey told Ralph Kinder after he led the league in HR for seven straight years " we were in last place with you and we will be in last place without you" And that is the same Dan Snyder who gave away all those first round picks for RG111.

14 hours ago, doumeyer said:

Is that what Dan Snyder really said to him? I have seen this kind of thing happen in MLB but never in the NFL that I know about. I remember  when Branch  Rickey told Ralph Kinder after he led the league in HR for seven straight years " we were in last place with you and we will be in last place without you" And that is the same Dan Snyder who gave away all those first round picks for RG111.

He didn't want to pay Cousins a big contract because he thought that first year was a fluke against an easy schedule so they tagged him. If they believed in him they would have signed him long term but instead said "prove it" with just a one year commitment. Then they offered him the 2nd highest paid QB contract this year and he said he wanted to play on the 24M tag and let the market decide what he's worth. I don't think he has any intention of staying with the Redskins.

Does the lack of wins not concern anyone when it comes to this guy? We are no more talented than the Skins, and the best they could muster is one measly nine win season.

Thats alarming to me before you make the guy the highest paid player in the league. I don’t care about dumb flashy stats, I want to win a superbowl. And he could only get Washington to the playoffs once.

1 hour ago, GangGreen420 said:

Does the lack of wins not concern anyone when it comes to this guy? We are no more talented than the Skins, and the best they could muster is one measly nine win season.

Thats alarming to me before you make the guy the highest paid player in the league. I don’t care about dumb flashy stats, I want to win a superbowl. And he could only get Washington to the playoffs once.

I honestly don' think so, he lost his two top WR's to FA at the end of last season. And Washington running game is just so so at best. Snyder has really screwed up the Redskins by giving all those #1picks for RG111. It sure wasn't Cousins fault that the Redskins can make the playoffs the fault is all on Synder.

1 hour ago, GangGreen420 said:

He has talent. It’s uo to the GM and coaching to make a talent like him be successful. They didn’t do that. They have a very average defense. Virtually no running game. And below average WRs. I’d say he has a good TEs in Reed and Davis, but Reed is always injured. His OLine especially this season has been a revolving door. The fact that he puts up numbers with what he has is actually incredible.

10 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

He has talent. It’s uo to the GM and coaching to make a talent like him be successful. They didn’t do that. They have a very average defense. Virtually no running game. And below average WRs. I’d say he has a good TEs in Reed and Davis, but Reed is always injured. His OLine especially this season has been a revolving door. The fact that he puts up numbers with what he has is actually incredible.

So what your saying is what we have is better than what the Redskins have? Because right now, based on his stint with the Skins, we would need to give him a lot more if we want to make the playoffs. This team has holes, regardless of what some think.

They need to really have a plan in place if they want to pursue him. And it needs to be addressing the offensive side of the ball in free agency/draft. If we sign him and get nothing but 9-10 win seasons at best, which so far it has been, it’s a failure. Numbers don’t mean anything, wins do

30 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

So what your saying is what we have is better than what the Redskins have? Because right now, based on his stint with the Skins, we would need to give him a lot more if we want to make the playoffs. This team has holes, regardless of what some think.

They need to really have a plan in place if they want to pursue him. And it needs to be addressing the offensive side of the ball in free agency/draft. If we sign him and get nothing but 9-10 win seasons at best, which so far it has been, it’s a failure. Numbers don’t mean anything, wins do

I think with what we have, still 50-60mill to spend in FA after signing him and 4 quality draft picks. We can have something better than Washington. I can’t say for sure yes. Bc I don’t know how Macc will draft or spend that FA money.

There are rumors about Denver. There are rumors about the Giants. There are rumors about another year on a franchise tag in D.C. I don't hear anything about the Jets, except everything you crazy cats say about Cousins to NYJ. 

I highly doubt we are even in the mix, and I think with our position in the draft and the QB's coming out this year, we should be focused on the draft. Use the cap space to fill other holes. I do like the idea of bringing Richardson back to replace Wilkerson. That's just one example.

2 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

There are rumors about Denver. There are rumors about the Giants. There are rumors about another year on a franchise tag in D.C. I don't hear anything about the Jets, except everything you crazy cats say about Cousins to NYJ. 

I highly doubt we are even in the mix, and I think with our position in the draft and the QB's coming out this year, we should be focused on the draft. Use the cap space to fill other holes. I do like the idea of bringing Richardson back to replace Wilkerson. That's just one example.

You can rule the Giants out.  Even if they get rid of Eli, they lack cap space and need to re-sign some keys guys on the D and o-line.

20 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think with what we have, still 50-60mill to spend in FA after signing him and 4 quality draft picks. We can have something better than Washington. I can’t say for sure yes. Bc I don’t know how Macc will draft or spend that FA money.

I agree.  Our defense is already comparable.  

40 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

That’s my concern. Cousins is good but he’s not Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers. He can’t elevate the entire offense. This team has a history of “ruining” QBs and if the plan is to sign Cousins, and draft and spend on our underahieving defense I can’t see that ending well.

if they sign Cousins Bowles and Mac are going all in.

Archived