Why I believe Kirk Cousins will be a New York Jet

jetskid007

Just now, Rockice_8 said:

McCown just needs to do his thing, lead by example.  He won't have to coach him up.  I'm sure there are plenty of examples where young QB's talked with veterans and watched them or asked them questions.

I agree it's overblown the whole mentor thing but it's also doesn't hurt either.  McCown is a good guys and has already said he would love to help the young guys.  You need those types of guys on young rosters in general not specifically to mentor young QB just overall.  They are good for locker rooms.

If we draft a QB I have no problem having McCown around for cheap money, kind of prepare him for a QB coaching role, and he can play if needed.  But for 8-12 mill a year we can just hire a good QB coach for a fraction and have him count 0$ against the cap.

3 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

If we draft a QB I have no problem having McCown around for cheap money, kind of prepare him for a QB coaching role, and he can play if needed.  But for 8-12 mill a year we can just hire a good QB coach for a fraction and have him count 0$ against the cap.

Yeah I don't think anyone is thinking about giving him that much.  I think 1yr/3-5M is about right.

If we don’t get Cousins or Bridgewater than I actually prefer McCown back. That’s only if.... it’s not really to have him here to start. We draft a QB at 6 and give him every oppurtunity to start Week 1. If he’s not ready regardless we still play that guy by Week 5 or so. Imo there’s no sense in wasting cap space on a guy like Taylor, Bradford, etc. That’s cap space that can be used on the OLine, CBs, WR, etc where we need actual talent to start. Not just a vet to hold a spot until the young guy is ready.

Just now, Bobby816 said:

If we don’t get Cousins or Bridgewater than I actually prefer McCown back. That’s only if.... it’s nit really to have him here to start. We draft a QB at 6 and give him every ooourtunity to start Week 1. If he’s not ready regardless we still play that guy by Week 5 or so. Imo there’s no sense in wasting cao space on a guy like Taylor, Bradford, etc. That’s cao space that can be used on the OLine, CBs, WR, etc where we need actual talent to start. Not just a vet to hold a spot until the young guy is ready.

Ya in that scenario I am fine with him coming back.  Makes tons of sense.

A lot of people saying that Kirk’s decision hasn’t been made, and I’ve heard the same. Many in the media jumped the gun... Kirk wants a deal where he can hit the market again in 3 years, but Minnesota can’t offer him that. Kirk’s camp leaked Minnesota talk to create leverage. 

Bottom line: his decision will most likely come down to a 5 year deal with Minnesota/Denver or a 3-4 year frontloaded deal in New York. At the end of the day it is a business, and Kirk will still likely choose the Jets if the money is right.

4 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

A lot of people saying that Kirk’s decision hasn’t been made, and I’ve heard the same. Many in the media jumped the gun... Kirk wants a deal where he can hit the market again in 3 years, but Minnesota can’t offer him that. Kirk’s camp leaked Minnesota talk to create leverage. 

Bottom line: his decision will most likely come down to a 5 year deal with Minnesota/Denver or a 3-4 year frontloaded deal in New York. At the end of the day it is a business, and Kirk will still likely choose the Jets if the money is right.

Absolutely the Jets should use this to our advantage.

22 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

What exactly is preventing Minn for offering a 3 year deal as opposed to a 5 year deal?  

4 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

There is a rumor that Minnesota is offering 3 years 90m fully gtd.

why would the Jets offer a deal like that? So when the team is actually ready to compete for something it’s time to break the bank for Kirk again?

If your a good team (the plan) by then he’s not going to leave. If we’re not, the administration who signed him would be gone, and the new administration would have the choice to franchise tag him or let him walk. 

43 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

What exactly is preventing Minn for offering a 3 year deal as opposed to a 5 year deal?  

Higher cap hits throughout the contract. Only way I can see it working is if Cousins cap figures went 25-30-35 over 3 years.  Next years FA pool: Anthony Barr, Eric Kendricks, Danielle Hunter, Stefon Diggs. 2020: Kyle Rudolph, Trae Waynes, Mackenzie Alexander. 

Will make it difficult for them. 

5 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

If your a good team (the plan) by then he’s not going to leave. If we’re not, the administration who signed him would be gone, and the new administration would have the choice to franchise tag him or let him walk. 

Higher cap hits throughout the contract. Only way I can see it working is if Cousins cap figures went 25-30-35 over 3 years.  Next years FA pool: Anthony Barr, Eric Kendricks, Danielle Hunter, Stefon Diggs. 2020: Kyle Rudolph, Trae Waynes, Mackenzie Alexander. 

Will make it difficult for them. 

It's only a few million difference on a 3 year deal and a 5 year deal and only in the early years, the full cap ramifications are the same due to being able to carry over money.

I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone bring up the following:

1. I want Kirk, but if we don't get him, I hope he goes to Denver. Would mean one less team in front of us in the market for a QB. This could be Plan A1, especially if we can stay put and draft our guy at 6 rather than feel like we have to trade up to get him. 

2. The NFC is LOADED!! Yes, I know Minnesota's roster is much better than ours but think about the competition in the NFC compared to the AFC. I have compiled a list of teams from both conferences that have good enough rosters that could potentially get hot and make a run:

1. Green Bay--When you have Aaron Rodgers, you have a chance

2. Minnesota--With or without Cousins, they are a great team. 

3. Detroit--They have the QB. Let's put it this way, if they were in the AFC, they could be the 3rd-4th best team in the conference.

4. New Orleans--Should have made it to the NFC champ game

5. Carolina--SB appearance 2 years ago

6. Atlanta--SB appearance a year ago

7. Philly--SB Champs

8. NYG--I think their roster is better than they performed plus they can add a blue chip at 2. Immediate turnaround.

9. Dallas--a year removed from a 12 win season

10. Seattle--See Green Bay, insert Russell Wilson

11. LA Rams--Surprise of the season last year.

12. SF--Up and coming, Jimmy G is legit

Conversely, the AFC:

1. New England--How much longer is Brady really playing?

2. Pittsburgh--Same as NE, insert Roethlisberger

That's it. I mean if I am Cousins, I have to look at this. You are in your prime and I think the best chance at a SB is in the AFC. I think he will choose NYJ or DEN

I see a lot of “experts” doing mocks with us signing Cousins. Main reason for that... is most the time players chase the money and it’s known that we will offer the most. So I think that’s the assumption. I still hold this at 50/50 we get him. If the report is that Minnesota is to give him a 3yr 90mill deal fully guaranteed... I think it’s easy for us to beat that out. Like I’ve said all along I think it’s what else we can do right away next Monday that makes or breaks him deciding here. We go out and get 1 of AR15 or Watkins, an OC and an OG I think he comes here easily. We drag our feet and miss out on guys and don’t show any upgrading to him... I think he takes Minnesota’s deal.

I see us offering 5-6 years $150-180M with the first 4 years guaranteed. The whole point is to front load his deal so much that you don't feel the cap hits in the later years. Which would mean it makes no sense to cut him prior to the late years of that deal. You could probably build in an injury clause like as long as he passes a physical he is guaranteed his money. The only way I don't want us to sign Cousins is if we have to make it a 3 year deal. IMO that would be a terrible signing, there is no benefit to front loading his contract at that point.

6 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

There is a rumor that Minnesota is offering 3 years 90m fully gtd.

why would the Jets offer a deal like that? So when the team is actually ready to compete for something it’s time to break the bank for Kirk again?

Dude, free agency is a week away. It was a made up rumor on twitter. Nobody reliable has reported it. 

Archived