Why I believe Kirk Cousins will be a New York Jet

jetskid007

1 minute ago, Bianconero said:

You guys care too much about money

We haven't made the playoffs in 8 years 

I know.  And it is because we draft like crap, not because we don't sign guys.  I also wanna become a perennial playoff team.  That doesn't happen through FA.  Look at our 2010 and 2011 teams.  They were good but it wasn't sustainable.  We bought some older guys, they got even older and we were strapped for cash and we crashed back down to earth.

1 minute ago, rampantjet said:

I know.  And it is because we draft like crap, not because we don't sign guys.  I also wanna become a perennial playoff team.  That doesn't happen through FA.  Look at our 2010 and 2011 teams.  They were good but it wasn't sustainable.  We bought some older guys, they got even older and we were strapped for cash and we crashed back down to earth.

I mean, to be fair...

A better GM than Tannenbaum would have been able to keep the window open for at least a couple of more years

Tanny threw guaranteed money at everyone like Oprah

41 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

Well that was on Tanny to let all the offensive talent we had go.

3 hours ago, rampantjet said:

You hit the nail on the head you are 100% correct. Our scouting dept. has to be one of the worst in the NFL. These guy have been given a free ride for to long.

9 hours ago, barnaby8787 said:

I don't care about stats. He's not a top 6 QB.  He's not better than Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Big Ben, Wilson, Wentz,  Matt Ryan, or Stafford. When healthy, Luck is better too. He's lumped in the fringe top 10 guys like Rivers, Alex Smith, etc. And just because the niners paid Jimmy G 27+ mil doesn't need to we need to pay 8 mil over that. Also, we have 89 mil right now, but I know what you're getting at obviously. 

Statistically speaking he is a clone of Matt Ryan and Matt Stafford, I don't think he's had the talent that either of those guys has had on their teams either. For just 3 years starting I'd be more that willing to roll the dice on Cousins, he's proven to remain consistent regardless of the crap that goes on around him. 

That said I really want to get excited for a QB we draft, I just know the odds that any of these guys play to Cousins current level is slim to none. That is why Cousins will command so much money. I think we will look like genius' if we can front load him and lock him in for 5 or 6 years, I want no part of a 3 year deal though.

The only way I justify paying cousins is if it were a long term deal were we could front load the contract and sell him on getting all that cash (60-70 mil)while not crushing the cap moving forward.(future years cap impact would be down inthe 20 range)

If we are talking about a 3 year deal and still paying 30-35 mill a year I say no. It simply doesn't allow us to build a real contender that has a sustainability factor.

11 minutes ago, drew39k said:

The only way I justify paying cousins is if it were a long term deal were we could front load the contract and sell him on getting all that cash (60-70 mil)while not crushing the cap moving forward.(future years cap impact would be down inthe 20 range)

If we are talking about a 3 year deal and still paying 30-35 mill a year I say no. It simply doesn't allow us to build a real contender that has a sustainability factor.

Completely agree, honestly the more I think about it the more I'm okay with a 5-6 year fully guaranteed deal. That sounds crazy but it really isn't. If the idea is to frontload the deal, realistically we want to have him in years 3, 4, 5, & 6 when his cap hits are at his lowest. There would be no reason to cut him prior to that except for injury. I don't think his physical talents will diminish much between now and when he is 34 or 35 I'm sure there is something we can build into his deal that allows us to cut him if he can't pass a physical which he should be able to do even if he gets hurt. Guarantee him $100M completely and the rest contingent on a physical that clears him to play.

That said I'm totally fine with going for a rookie.

7 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

Completely agree, honestly the more I think about it the more I'm okay with a 5-6 year fully guaranteed deal. That sounds crazy but it really isn't. If the idea is to frontload the deal, realistically we want to have him in years 3, 4, 5, & 6 when his cap hits are at his lowest. There would be no reason to cut him prior to that except for injury. I don't think his physical talents will diminish much between now and when he is 34 or 35 I'm sure there is something we can build into his deal that allows us to cut him if he can't pass a physical which he should be able to do even if he gets hurt. Guarantee him $100M completely and the rest contingent on a physical that clears him to play.

That said I'm totally fine with going for a rookie.

If we are targeting him and willing to pay him, we don’t view him as a few year band aid. This isn’t a Peyton Manning type FA. Cousins has a good 7 years of good football left in him. By all means give him a contract paying him for a long time if that’s what he wants.

While people might not like his price tag... you can’t argue that Couins can play in this league and at a high level. There’s pretty much zero risk in signing him. He’s not a 1yr wonder, no injury history, etc.

I’ve stated several times I don’t love any QB in this draft class. If I did I probably wouldn’t be so pro getting Cousins. But no one screams franchise QB to me. I think any of the top 4 QBs all have big questions. Hence why so many peoples rankings change.

I will state though that if we miss out on Cousins, I’d like to see us go after Bridgewater and grab a tier 2 QB. I’d even kick the tires on a trade up for Jackson in the mid late Round 1 after we draft at 6 if the price is right.

If we don’t get Cousins or Bridgewater than I want us to just resign McCown and draft whoever falls to us at 6. Roll into the season with Rookie, McCown, Hackenberg.

41 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

New Kirk Cousins odds from Bovada

Minnesota Vikings 1/3

Denver Broncos 10/3

New York Jets 5/1

Arizona Cardinals 15/1

I'm fine with that, there is a level of pride and excitement that comes with drafting a QB. Would love if he went to the Broncos.

47 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

New Kirk Cousins odds from Bovada

Minnesota Vikings 1/3

Denver Broncos 10/3

New York Jets 5/1

Arizona Cardinals 15/1

5 years for 1 dollar?  I am sold. eh.

Anyway, I can believe it because I think Vikings will pull the Saints on Kirk Cousins. If Cousins' eye for a short contract of 100m is true then Saints' style contract could make it possible for Vikings.

5 years 100m, 50m signing bonus.

Year 1: 18m base + 10m sb = 28m

Year 2: 16m base + 10m sb = 26m

Year 3:  16m base + 10m sb = 26m

Year 4: voidable + 10m sb = 20m dead money.  Becomes UFA if no extension.

Year 5 : voidable + 10m sb = 0

People keep bringing up the point that we can front load Cousins contract as if that helps him or us all that much.  If it is guaranteed money he gets the same amount in the end anyway.  I guess he might prefer to have it like 2 years earlier so he can invest but all in all it isn't a huge deal.  For us however it makes almost no difference.  Since teams can roll over money into future years the difference is very minimal.  I was going to run the exact numbers but overthecap doesn't seem to be working right now.  I did it before though, it was only a few extra million in the last 4 years of a 5 year deal after giving him 60 mill in year 1.

12 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

People keep bringing up the point that we can front load Cousins contract as if that helps him or us all that much.  If it is guaranteed money he gets the same amount in the end anyway.  I guess he might prefer to have it like 2 years earlier so he can invest but all in all it isn't a huge deal.  For us however it makes almost no difference.  Since teams can roll over money into future years the difference is very minimal.  I was going to run the exact numbers but overthecap doesn't seem to be working right now.  I did it before though, it was only a few extra million in the last 4 years of a 5 year deal after giving him 60 mill in year 1.

I think all that stuff washes out (higher state taxes in Minny, Lower cost of living in Minny, getting the money early and investing it, etc.). Getting his money early has the most mathematical upside, but who knows he may not like to invest. I don't think all that stuff will come into play. Based on reports, it's going to come down to three things: Guaranteed Money, Winning, and a Short-Term Contract so that he can hit Free Agency again. Money seems like his number thing though. My hunch is that he only cares about winning because it sets him up for another big pay day. 

He is the Revis of QB's. Have to say, I am growing a tad sour on him. 

Archived