Why I believe Kirk Cousins will be a New York Jet

jetskid007

15 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

If Big Ben retires, no doubt in my mind Cousins is their next QB. That said, keep in mind Favre "contemplated" retirement at age 36 and played until he was 41. 

For all the talk of us trading Bowles to ARI, I think WAS trading Gruden to CIN is more likely if they're committed to a full rebuild. However, I'd expect them to stick with Dalton in such a scenario... he had tremendous success with Gruden, is the same age as Cousins and cheaper, and one can argue that the gap between he and Cousins isn't worth spending nearly double the salary to grab the latter. Build that offensive line and I'd expect Dalton to return to 2015 form. 

Steelers' salary cap is too tight to invest in another expensive qb.

38 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

If Big Ben retires, no doubt in my mind Cousins is their next QB. That said, keep in mind Favre "contemplated" retirement at age 36 and played until he was 41. 

For all the talk of us trading Bowles to ARI, I think WAS trading Gruden to CIN is more likely if they're committed to a full rebuild. However, I'd expect them to stick with Dalton in such a scenario... he had tremendous success with Gruden, is the same age as Cousins and cheaper, and one can argue that the gap between he and Cousins isn't worth spending nearly double the salary to grab the latter. Build that offensive line and I'd expect Dalton to return to 2015 form. 

Hmm never really thought Gruden back to the Bengals but I guess it's just as likely as Bowles to Arizona. 

14 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

Hmm never really thought Gruden back to the Bengals but I guess it's just as likely as Bowles to Arizona. 

I just feel like he's been a good solider through all this, but may want out in a similar way Cousins does. I don't think it's likely, but who knows... If the Redskins get a sweet offer for him and will not be bringing Cousins back, might as well go full-rebuild with a new HC/new QB. 

4 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I just feel like he's been a good solider through all this, but may want out in a similar way Cousins does. I don't think it's likely, but who knows... If the Redskins get a sweet offer for him and will not be bringing Cousins back, might as well go full-rebuild with a new HC/new QB. 

edit... cross it off...

Just now, JetsandI said:

First Hue Jackson, now Jay Gruden?   What is up with connection bs

Because ownership is historically loyal to their coaches and personnel. Mike Brown (the owner) wanted Kaepernick over Dalton, but Jay Gruden was the one who pushed the team to go Dalton. Brown had enough confidence in Gruden to allow him to choose the QB back in 2011, and in hindsight, it's clear Gruden was right. That earns a lot of respect in this league. Oh, and it just helps that Gruden is a very good coach and knows the organization inside and out. 

I don't really see the steelers as a likely landing spot for Cousins. I can't really see Big Ben retiring. But even if he does retire, it's not really their thing to sign other teams high priced players. Similar to GB.  Both those teams take care of their own and improve via the draft. And in order to sign Cousins, they will have to not sign Bell and clear a some cap space even if Ben retires.

i think the likely spots for Cousins are NYJ,  Buffalo and Cleveland. Between these teams, it sort of depends on what Cousins is looking for. I think Cousins is a better fit in a Morton offense than in Hue's offense. I think we have the best OC of the three and Cousins fits Morton's offense well. The tough part is the Bills are currently the more competitive team.  But maybe the way they treated Tyrod will put doubts in Cousin's mind. 

32 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

I don't really see the steelers as a likely landing spot for Cousins. I can't really see Big Ben retiring. But even if he does retire, it's not really their thing to sign other teams high priced players. Similar to GB.  Both those teams take care of their own and improve via the draft. And in order to sign Cousins, they will have to not sign Bell and clear a some cap space even if Ben retires.

i think the likely spots for Cousins are NYJ,  Buffalo and Cleveland. Between these teams, it sort of depends on what Cousins is looking for. I think Cousins is a better fit in a Morton offense than in Hue's offense. I think we have the best OC of the three and Cousins fits Morton's offense well. The tough part is the Bills are currently the more competitive team.  But maybe the way they treated Tyrod will put doubts in Cousin's mind. 

Landry Jones turning into Aaron Rodgers? Who knows.

Cousins can fit Jackson's offense just fine.  Jackson is all about accuracy to keep offense moving. Cousins fits there.  Cousins could make Morton working into better creative plays.  I don't think Cousins will have a problem with Bills' offense since Taylor can't spray all the field the way Cousins does.  Bills' leading reception is RB McCoy????

I don’t get what some don’t like about Cousins. Can you guys who don’t like him explain why? The main reasons I read aren’t valid IMO. He will cost too much? We have 100mill in cap space, so that’s not a valid reason. He doesn’t win big games? That’s not all on him. He’s 1 of 53 players on a team. We have a decent foundation on this roster and have 4 quality picks in the draft as well as cap space even after signing him. So if done correctly we will have better talent surrounding him than he has in Washington. So that’s not a valid reason either.

38 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I don’t get what some don’t like about Cousins. Can you guys who don’t like him explain why? The main reasons I read aren’t valid IMO. He will cost too much? We have 100mill in cap space, so that’s not a valid reason. He doesn’t win big games? That’s not all on him. He’s 1 of 53 players on a team. We have a decent foundation on this roster and have 4 quality picks in the draft as well as cap space even after signing him. So if done correctly we will have better talent surrounding him than he has in Washington. So that’s not a valid reason either.

What makes you think the Jets are guaranteed to hit on those draft picks and free agents? What makes you think Cousins wants to even come here? We are in the midst of the losingest stretch in franchise history. The Jets are one step up from the Browns. Every team has a “decent” foundation. The Browns arguably have more talented players than us. We don’t have a better foundation than most teams.

just because you have 100 mill to spend doesn’t mean you make a QB who is not top 5 in the NFL the highest paid player. He’s a great QB, but IMO he’s not even close to Wilson. You’d think every Redskins fan would be pounding the table to keep him but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

We need to stop acting like the Jets are a better situation than Washington. We are not. One draft and FA period is not going to change that. Someone said we have a better defense than Washington? Yeah no, nothing supports that.

I won’t be upset if we sign Cousins, but I’m also not expecting 7 years of high end QB play. These guys are not all Tom Brady. Do I think we win a SuperBowl before Cousins starts to fall off? Probably not.

id rather draft a QB, but we aren’t really in position to get a top one so it’s whatever at this point. It’s either succeed or get fired. I don’t even care what happens anymore. If they think Cousins is a better option than Baker Mayfield, then I’m cool with it. But either way it’s time for results  

10 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

What makes you think the Jets are guaranteed to hit on those draft picks and free agents? What makes you think Cousins wants to even come here? We are in the midst of the losingest stretch in franchise history. The Jets are one step up from the Browns. Every team has a “decent” foundation. The Browns arguably have more talented players than us. We don’t have a better foundation than most teams.

just because you have 100 mill to spend doesn’t mean you make a QB who is not top 5 in the NFL the highest paid player. He’s a great QB, but IMO he’s not even close to Wilson. You’d think every Redskins fan would be pounding the table to keep him but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

We need to stop acting like the Jets are a better situation than Washington. We are not. One draft and FA period is not going to change that. Someone said we have a better defense than Washington? Yeah no, nothing supports that.

I won’t be upset if we sign Cousins, but I’m also not expecting 7 years of high end QB play. These guys are not all Tom Brady. Do I think we win a SuperBowl before Cousins starts to fall off? Probably not.

id rather draft a QB, but we aren’t really in position to get a top one so it’s whatever at this point. It’s either succeed or get fired. I don’t even care what happens anymore. If they think Cousins is a better option than Baker Mayfield, then I’m cool with it. But either way it’s time for results  

Personally, I agree.  If you took Cousins off the Redskins and based the teams on the rest of the talent, i'd probably take the Redskins right now.  They also have a ton of cap space as well.  They also have a very solid o-line to protect Cousins.  Scherff is an elite guard and T. Williams is an elite tackle.

3 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Personally, I agree.  If you took Cousins off the Redskins and based the teams on the rest of the talent, i'd probably take the Redskins right now.  They also have a ton of cap space as well.  They also have a very solid o-line to protect Cousins.  Scherff is an elite guard and T. Williams is an elite tackle.

They were injured pretty much the whole season. They had 3rd stringers at times in the OLine. And what supports we have a better defense? You clearly are just looking at the stats. How about that bc we have a below average offense it forces our defense in the field way more than they should. Just having an offense that isn’t bad will make this defense better.

19 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

They were injured pretty much the whole season. They had 3rd stringers at times in the OLine. And what supports we have a better defense? You clearly are just looking at the stats. How about that bc we have a below average offense it forces our defense in the field way more than they should. Just having an offense that isn’t bad will make this defense better.

I realize that, but they're still there my man.  Our D's are extremely comparable although they have more talent on paper on that D than we do.  They also have a sack machine in Kerrigan that we don't have.

46 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Man the excuses people will make for our defense being pedestrian.

all im trying to say is the Jets aren’t some crazy desirable landing spot like some make it out to be. We suck. Other than it being NY, if he wants to get the most money, then we are a good spot. I know if priority number 1 is to win a SuperBowl, there’s probably better options. Would Kirk take less to go to Denver or Jax? I guess we’ll find out 

I can't wait to find out where he goes because that is the biggest domino to fall. Will he have an idea prior to FA or will he want to see what other teams do before bringing him in? Do teams make moves for big FAs before figuring out where Cousins goes? Will teams eliminate themselves because of draft location like the Browns or will they push to get him and trade out of #1? If he is transition tagged I think he'll be ruled out of Denver, Arizona, and Jacksonville because the Redskins should be able to match any of the deals offered to him. That would only leave teams with a ton of cap like the Jets, Bills and Browns to front load contracts that the Redskins can't match. Would Cousins play on the Transition Tag or Franchise tag instead of signing a long term deal with a team so he can hit FA next year?

I think he ultimately hits FA which will then leave the decision solely on his preference of money/future growth/organizational preferences. He's the ultimate wild card at the hardest position to fill, I find the whole situation fascinating.

Archived