Why I believe Kirk Cousins will be a New York Jet

jetskid007

1 hour ago, GangGreen420 said:

The only free agent QB I would entertain is Cousins but I still wouldn’t overpay him. He’s the only one you can get 5 good years of play from. Bridgewater has upside so maybe there’s a scenario, but I want nothing to do with Keenum, Smith, etc

I want an answer and the only answers are Cousins for about 4-5 years maybe more or hit on one in the draft and be set for 10.

if the Jets think they can sign Cousins, surround him with better than he has in Wash (which I’m not sure is so simple) and bring us a SuperBowl in the intermediate future then I’m okay with it. But if the plan is sign Cousins, give him what we gave every other QB we’ve had the past decade or so, little to nothing, and continue to focus on Bowles crappy defense, we will get no where. Hell if we sign Cousins and pick any defensive player other than Chubb I’ll be angry. Don’t screw it up. Get him someone on the line, or Barkley, just help the offense.

isnt there rumors that Morton was too “pass happy” for some this year (Forte lol Bowles?) If we make Cousins the highest paid player in football we better build the offense around passing the ball, not trying to run some washed up vet into the ground. Balance is good, but you just made a guy the highest paid player in the league. Let him throw the ball

Im almost warmjng up to Cousins merely from the fact I have such little faith in Bowles, he would be the best QB to go through a regime change. If they actually have a PLAN for Cousins I could live with it. That scares me with this staff in place.

You realize in 5 years he will only be 34 right? 

Rodgers 34

Brady 40

Brees 38

Manning 37

Big Ben 35

Rivers 36

Ryan 32

If you are a good QB, especially one who doesn't get injured like Cousins there is no reason he can't play until 37 (8 seasons with the Jets)

For what it's worth, Mac was interviewed on the new WFAN afternoon show this afternoon, and when the question of Cousins or free agent QB's came up, he didn't sound very enthusiastic about taking that road. I mean, he's hard to read and doesn't give you much anyway, it just did not sound like backing the Brinks truck up to Cousin's front door is part of the plan. He talked a lot about cap allocation of positions, etc. Got the feeling he's not interested in making the kind of move that would trigger the "win now" mindset.

My hunch is maybe a Teddy Bridgewater along with another draft pick and McCown is the more likely scenario. Of course, it could be Mac already knows where Cousins intends to go and he realizes he's not interested in the Jets. 

42 minutes ago, Harris Smith said:

For what it's worth, Mac was interviewed on the new WFAN afternoon show this afternoon, and when the question of Cousins or free agent QB's came up, he didn't sound very enthusiastic about taking that road. I mean, he's hard to read and doesn't give you much anyway, it just did not sound like backing the Brinks truck up to Cousin's front door is part of the plan. He talked a lot about cap allocation of positions, etc. Got the feeling he's not interested in making the kind of move that would trigger the "win now" mindset.

My hunch is maybe a Teddy Bridgewater along with another draft pick and McCown is the more likely scenario. Of course, it could be Mac already knows where Cousins intends to go and he realizes he's not interested in the Jets. 

Two things.  They are not allowed to talk about future FA.  Jets are not required to reach playoff in 2018 per FO.

Your hunch is not far off.

On 03/01/2018 at 10:46 AM, SDotNova said:

Where do you have him rated? Most people seem to be putting him in the Stafford category. Are you saying the Stafford comparisons are not a fair comparison? 

I just want to draft a guy this year and develop him, not take a guy coming from a different system who has been poisoned by countless OC's and unreasonable expectations. Cousins is good, but he can't save this franchise. And if we flash all kinds of money his way, that is exactly what the expectation will be. 

Let's go low-key here, folks. Draft a guy sixth overall (or Round 2 if a good one is available), sign a veteran holdover, maybe bring back McCown.

We need to build a great team, not hope that Cousins can be our Aaron Rodgers. There's only one Aaron Rodgers.

On 1/3/2018 at 3:05 PM, rdelaney89 said:

You realize in 5 years he will only be 34 right? 

Rodgers 34

Brady 40

Brees 38

Manning 37

Big Ben 35

Rivers 36

Ryan 32

If you are a good QB, especially one who doesn't get injured like Cousins there is no reason he can't play until 37 (8 seasons with the Jets)

That’s ideal but I’m being safe. I’m not going to compare him to HOF level QBs like Brady, Brees and Rodgers. Those guys are as good as you can get at QB. If he plays 8 more years and keeps up at the current pace then that is the ideal scenario for the team that signs him. Even the guys that are “done” or close to it like Eli or Ben have elite weapons to help them out. I’d gladly take 8 years of Cousins current production (hopefully with WINS) but I would protect myself in the contract.

Im open to it if his contract demands are not asinine. I in no way want his contract to inhibit our ability to sign or retain players.

He’s just not on the Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Wilson level. I don’t know if it’s coach talk or the Redskins incompetence but I just get the sense they still have questions about the guy. A good friend of mine is a Skins fan and he said he doesn’t want to give him a “Stanford contract” reality is Cousins is probably better than Stafford.

if some team is ready to sign the guy at all costs let them do it. No bidding war please

21 QB's drafted in the first round 2007-2014 (going to remove the last 3 drafts because teams won't give up on 1st rounders that easily) 

9 are out of the league

7 are starters for their team

With odds like that, I'll take Cousins over rolling the dice especially when we have enough cap that it won't hurt us from signing players.

16 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

21 QB's drafted in the first round 2007-2014 (going to remove the last 3 drafts because teams won't give up on 1st rounders that easily) 

9 are out of the league

With odds like that, I'll take Cousins over rolling the dice especially when we have enough cap that it won't hurt us from signing players.

In that span, 6 for 12 from top 10 including Bortles' 5th year option.  Last 3 draft, 6 qbs in top 10 (6 for 6)have strong chance to continue playing for their original teams.

I can see Maccagnan roll the dices on drafting qb instead of acquiring Cousins.

1 hour ago, rdelaney89 said:

9 are out of the league

Exactly. I laugh at people saying a guy like Mayfield is a sure thing. There's not a single guy this draft class at QB that's a sure thing. There's no Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck type guy out there. Cousins and frankly even Bridgewater are the proven players that might be available that can be a franchise guy. Obviously Bridgewater comes with his set of risks, but he's started 28 games and has looked good in that action. He has to be right behind Cousins on our list if he hits FA. Macc loves filling holes in FA and allowing himself to go BPA in the draft. I don't see him going down easily without addressing QB pre draft.

3 hours ago, JetsandI said:

In that span, 6 for 12 from top 10 including Bortles' 5th year option.  Last 3 draft, 6 qbs in top 10 (6 for 6)have strong chance to continue playing for their original teams.

I can see Maccagnan roll the dices on drafting qb instead of acquiring Cousins.

I have no problem drafting a QB, I just think it would be a mistake not to try for Cousins and go directly for the draft

30 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

I have no problem drafting a QB, I just think it would be a mistake not to try for Cousins and go directly for the draft

I think we for sure go after Cousins it’s just if Macc backs out bc of money that will agitate me. If he chooses Denver bc he just likes the situation there better, I’m ok with that. I’d love if we got him, but could stomach the choice. I won’t be able to stomach getting outbid for him when we have over 100mill in cap space.

From everything I’ve read so far (very early) I get the feeling the Jets would rather draft a QB. I honestly think there’s a greater chance of a trade up then a heavy pursuit of Cousins.

Wish we could fast forward a month when things have more substance to them 

6 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

From everything I’ve read so far (very early) I get the feeling the Jets would rather draft a QB. I honestly think there’s a greater chance of a trade up then a heavy pursuit of Cousins.

I agree. But I do think the combine and pre-draft process up to the league's new year will have a big effect on a pursuit of Cousins or a trade up scenario.

"Playoff in 2018 isn't a mandate" comment killed everything.  I am sure in the back of Maccagnan's head has chimed some serious music about "why should Jets pay Cousins a lot of money early and then potentially treats him like Darrelle Revis when playoff finally comes into the picture?"

6 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

I actually think the opposite. I think Macc will value getting a QB in FA therefor he can go with his philosophy in the draft he loves of BPA. He likes filling holes in FA therefor there’s not glaring needs come draft day.

5 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I actually think the opposite. I think Macc will value getting a QB in FA therefor he can go with his philosophy in the draft he loves of BPA. He likes filling holes in FA therefor there’s not glaring needs come draft day.

I could see that if Bridgewater and McCarron become available to FA.  Garoppolo could be tried if 49ers and him didn't come to the terms on time.

Archived