Why I believe Kirk Cousins will be a New York Jet

jetskid007

5 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I think he has every right to ask for what Stafford got: 5 years, $135 million extension. His arguments are that he's the same age (6 months younger), has been every bit as successful (if not more) over the past 3 seasons and has a better winning record. Since he became a full-time starter, only two QBs have a better cumulative QBR: Brady and Brees. Also, for those who are complaining about his age... he's was the 16th youngest starting QB in the league, literally right smack in the middle. 

It's a risk, but I would be OK with it. The Jets can make the bold move to sign him to a front-loaded deal while the young players are still under team control, allowing his cap hit to dip in future years and to make it easier to get out of the contract if things don't go well. You're not going to be major players in free agency otherwise... the Jets primary objective will be to retain their own and allow their young players to grow into bigger roles. If you signed Kirk to a deal that paid him, say, $30 million year 1, you'd be in very good financial state in future years despite his hefty salary. 

I was thinking along these lines as well. Stafford is a good comparison. And to some extent, Matt Ryan. Both those players received about 17% of the salary cap per year at the time of their respective contracts. The salary cap is projected to be $178 million. So, $28 million per year, puts Cousins at just under 16%.

35 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

11 different offensive lineman this year and he's completed the ball to 15 different players. Dude is still putting up great stats.

Numbers with Trent

209- 302  69%  284 yards per   18 tds  5 int

Numbers without  (3 games)

66-111 59 %   250 yards per  3 tds 2 int

you can't tell me you don't see the difference

7 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

Numbers with Trent

209- 302  69%  284 yards per   18 tds  5 int

Numbers without  (3 games)

66-111 59 %   250 yards per  3 tds 2 int

you can't tell me you don't see the difference

It shouldn't concern us. He is a franchise LT.   Anyone who replaces him should be a below average player.  Jets have an average LT in Beachum and will possibly get above average LT out of 2018 draft.

2 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

It shouldn't concern us. He is a franchise LT.   Anyone who replaces him should be a below average player.  Jets have an average LT in Beachum and will possibly get above average LT out of 2018 draft.

Just to add to this, we're a center away from being a much, much better offensive line. I think most of our issues have been due to Wesley Johnson. Carpenter and Winters have not been good, but I would think positive regression next year. Beachum has been solid and Shell is getting back to where he was last year. Plus, we have the draft capital to improve the offensive line as you said. 

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

I think he has every right to ask for what Stafford got: 5 years, $135 million extension. His arguments are that he's the same age (6 months younger), has been every bit as successful (if not more) over the past 3 seasons and has a better winning record. Since he became a full-time starter, only two QBs have a better cumulative QBR: Brady and Brees. Also, for those who are complaining about his age... he's was the 16th youngest starting QB in the league, literally right smack in the middle. 

It's a risk, but I would be OK with it. The Jets can make the bold move to sign him to a front-loaded deal while the young players are still under team control, allowing his cap hit to dip in future years and to make it easier to get out of the contract if things don't go well. You're not going to be major players in free agency otherwise... the Jets primary objective will be to retain their own and allow their young players to grow into bigger roles. If you signed Kirk to a deal that paid him, say, $30 million year 1, you'd be in very good financial state in future years despite his hefty salary. 

Agree on everything except you saying he’s a risk. He’s not a risk. He’s a proven top QB. He’s no risk. It’s up to the FO to build a good ram around him if brought him to get him to be a consistent postseason QB. 

7 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Agree on everything except you saying he’s a risk. He’s not a risk. He’s a proven top QB. He’s no risk. It’s up to the FO to build a good ram around him if brought him to get him to be a consistent postseason QB. 

He is being polite.

1 hour ago, rdelaney89 said:

What price do you think Cousins should be paid (per year) on a 6 year deal? What number would be acceptable for you to sign him?

Yes the bolded In contradictory but that’s the position we are in.

and Cousins deserves to get what Stafford got.. hes better. The Carr/Raiders situation is even intruiging too. But guess what, I don’t want Matt Stafford at that price either. Because he’s not carrying his team to the playoffs consistently. Would I take Cousins or Stafford on a rookie deal? Absolutely. Your able to allocate money differently and change the way you build a team when you know you have your guy at QB and your paying him a rookie deal. Are the Jets really a better team all around then the Lions or Skins and Cousins or Stafford will be able to come here and carry us past a wildcard berth? I still don’t think we take the division from the Patriots with Cousins.

Russell Wilson on the other hand? Id make him the highest paid player in the NFL without hesitation.

going all in on Cousins seems too risky to me but maybe the Jets disagree.

Only way I’m really not ok with going hard after him is if Washington that’s him and wants to trade him. We obviously offer the contract and they can match. They won’t match. But they can trade I believe still. I’m not ok with giving up a 1st Rounder for him. But I am ok with giving up 1 of our 2nds. Ideally he just becomes a UFA and we can sign him that way and not have to give up anything. I think what a lot of people aren’t realizing is that with even signing him, resigning our obvious resigns and leaving money for the draft. We will still have 25-30mill in cap space. To go address other needs as well. It’s not like if we sigh Cousins that’s all of our cap space gone.

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

This actually make a lot of sense to do the front loaded deal.  I like Cousins and if we hit on our picks we could make a nice run with him.  I just still think we are a few years away from being real contenders because we have some major holes at LT, C, CB, Slot CB, OLB, RB etc.  Cousins will be 32 at the time which isn't too bad considering QB's play well into their mid 30's typically. 

We really need to hit on our picks if we do make the push for Cousins though.  

After reviewing Cardinals and Jaguars carefully, I think Jaguars have better shot to get Cousins.

Anyway, Browns may be a new possibility for Cousins. Browns have two methods to be done.

1. Browns agree to allow Hue Jackson a power to run the team and extend him to 3 more seasons.  He has been suffering under FO's mishaps for two years. Enough is enough.

2. John Dorsey and Matt Nagy become Browns' new GM and HC, respectively. Dorsey has a knack for collecting talents and Browns need that badly.

Afterward, Browns can trade number one pick to Redskins for Kirk Cousins. Simple as if Jimmy Haslam has to let a football man run the ship.

28 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

After reviewing Cardinals and Jaguars carefully, I think Jaguars have better shot to get Cousins.

Anyway, Browns may be a new possibility for Cousins. Browns have two methods to be done.

1. Browns agree to allow Hue Jackson a power to run the team and extend him to 3 more seasons.  He has been suffering under FO's mishaps for two years. Enough is enough.

2. John Dorsey and Matt Nagy become Browns' new GM and HC, respectively. Dorsey has a knack for collecting talents and Browns need that badly.

Afterward, Browns can trade number one pick to Redskins for Kirk Cousins. Simple as if Jimmy Haslam has to let a football man run the ship.

The biggest issue with the Jags is they are only slated to have $18 million of cap space in 2018. This is before the sign Robinson. In order for the Jags to make this work, they will need to restructure contracts and not sign Robinson. I think the Jags would be much better off going with Eli (or another veteran QB), retaining Robinson, and drafting a QB. Eli can go another two years and I can see Coughlin pulling for him. 

7 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

The biggest issue with the Jags is they are only slated to have $18 million of cap space in 2018. This is before the sign Robinson. In order for the Jags to make this work, they will need to restructure contracts and not sign Robinson. I think the Jags would be much better off going with Eli (or another veteran QB), retaining Robinson, and drafting a QB. Eli can go another two years and I can see Coughlin pulling for him. 

Jaugars are currently having 32m cap space this year so they could carry over at least 25m into next year.

That 25m can cover Lee, Robinson and Cousins. That would be problem if Poz was 28 years old and playing more than 70 pct this year but not in that case for Jaguars.   Also, I honestly don't think Manning and Marrone will be on same page.  Manning is more of free style qb as Marrone is a knucklehead who requires everyone goes with his exact plan.  I don't care for Manning/Coughlin relationship because Coughlin doesn't run football team. Marrone does.

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

Jaugars are currently having 32m cap space this year so they could carry over at least 25m into next year.

That 25m can cover Lee, Robinson and Cousins. That would be problem if Poz was 28 years old and playing more than 70 pct this year but not in that case for Jaguars.   Also, I honestly don't think Manning and Marrone will be on same page.  Manning is more of free style qb as Marrone is a knucklehead who requires everyone goes with his exact plan.  I don't care for Manning/Coughlin relationship because Coughlin doesn't run football team. Marrone does.

The Coughlin/Marrone comment is pretty lazy. Coughlin and Caldwell have more say than Marrone. In fact, Coughlin has final say over the 53 man roster, free agency, the draft, and the approval of assistant coach hirings. Regardless how nice he tries to sound, he's their football czar and ultimately makes the final decisions: http://www.espn.com/blog/jacksonville-jaguars/post/_/id/20709/tom-coughlin-has-final-say-but-he-will-share-burden-with-gm-head-coach

Jacksonville will have more money if they decide to cut Bortles (nearly $20 million savings), but I wouldn't be so sure that $25M can cover all three of those guys. Unlike the 2006-2014 era of football, teams are becoming smarter in regards to how they pay players; they're more willing to pay a guy more up front to avoid being stuck in a bad deal rather than using Tannenbaum's old tricks (backloading contracts) which could backfire. You also can't forget who will be free agents in 2019... Fowler's option will likely cost them around $15 million. If you're backloading these contracts, it'll be a very difficult situation in 2019 as all 3 players would see their cap hits inflate.  

• Robinson is likely going to take a 1 year "prove it" deal like Jeffery did, somewhere in the $9-12 million range. 
  • Lee is likely going to demand a contract somewhere in the neighborhood of Robert Woods' deal, which carried a $7 million cap hit. 
  • If such was the case, you're assuming that Kirk's cap hit would be somewhere around $10 million, which absolutely won't happen. As good as Kirk may be, they're not going to hinge their 5-year future to him. It's much more likely Kirk gets a ton up front and by year 3 is essentially playing "year-to-year" like Dalton/Kaepernick/Tannehill were. It allows the team flexibility to either bail, restructure/extend, or let the situation play out. 

Given all these reasons, I still think the QB Coughlin will go for Eli if they move on from Blake Bortles. He's cheaply under contract for 2 more seasons since the Giants eat the signing bonus, and allows them to compete for a championship while (presumably) drafting/developing his successor and extending their young stars. 

9 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

The Coughlin/Marrone comment is pretty lazy. Coughlin and Caldwell have more say than Marrone. In fact, Coughlin has final say over the 53 man roster, free agency, the draft, and the approval of assistant coach hirings. Regardless how nice he tries to sound, he's their football czar and ultimately makes the final decisions: http://www.espn.com/blog/jacksonville-jaguars/post/_/id/20709/tom-coughlin-has-final-say-but-he-will-share-burden-with-gm-head-coach

Jacksonville will have more money if they decide to cut Bortles (nearly $20 million savings), but I wouldn't be so sure that $25M can cover all three of those guys. Unlike the 2006-2014 era of football, teams are becoming smarter in regards to how they pay players; they're more willing to pay a guy more up front to avoid being stuck in a bad deal rather than using Tannenbaum's old tricks (backloading contracts) which could backfire. You also can't forget who will be free agents in 2019... Fowler's option will likely cost them around $15 million. If you're backloading these contracts, it'll be a very difficult situation in 2019 as all 3 players would see their cap hits inflate.  

• Robinson is likely going to take a 1 year "prove it" deal like Jeffery did, somewhere in the $9-12 million range. 
  • Lee is likely going to demand a contract somewhere in the neighborhood of Robert Woods' deal, which carried a $7 million cap hit. 
  • If such was the case, you're assuming that Kirk's cap hit would be somewhere around $10 million, which absolutely won't happen. As good as Kirk may be, they're not going to hinge their 5-year future to him. It's much more likely Kirk gets a ton up front and by year 3 is essentially playing "year-to-year" like Dalton/Kaepernick/Tannehill were. It allows the team flexibility to either bail, restructure/extend, or let the situation play out. 

Given all these reasons, I still think the QB Coughlin will go for Eli if they move on from Blake Bortles. He's cheaply under contract for 2 more seasons since the Giants eat the signing bonus, and allows them to compete for a championship while (presumably) drafting/developing his successor and extending their young stars. 

Couglin/Marrone thing is not lazy.  If FO decided to tell Marrone to shut up and deal with Manning then Jaguars would have a dysfunctional system. That is last thing Couglin wants.  If Caldwell and Marrone want no part of Manning then Couglin will follow. Guaranteed.

Lee gets better Woods contract = 7.5m

Robinson gets Keenan Allen's contract for debate's sake = 7.7m

Cousins gets Stafford's contract without old prorated bonus = 11m

It is doable.  Don't sell me otherwise.

Archived