Why I believe Kirk Cousins will be a New York Jet

jetskid007

1 hour ago, barnaby8787 said:

Skip Bayless said that McCown is better than Cousins...

I hate Skip he's so clearly a Patriots and Cowboys fan because it fires up the most people, I think he's only saying this because it gets a rise out of the most amount of people. Much like how he was the lead person with Tebow-mania to piss off a bunch of people that could plainly see that Tim Tebow was not a good QB.

1 hour ago, barnaby8787 said:

Skip Bayless said that McCown is better than Cousins...

I heard him talking about some of it, he’s running with the fact that McCown had a better statistical season than Cousins last year and he won’t make the Jets better. Doesn’t once say that was an anomaly of a career year for McCown, like he’s able to repeat that.

9 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I agree with you on most points. Few things I’ll add. Denver is a better ran organization than us. A stable franchise might be a factor in his decision for all we know. I also don’t think our roster even with just a couple more additions is enough to get Cousins here. We can’t promise him anything in the draft, bc we don’t know who will be available. But I do feel we will have to make several additions to entice him. Bc fact is, is our roster is the worst of all teams interested. But we also have the cap space and picks to improve that. Can we convince him that we can make hus supporting Cast good enough to make a playoff push will be the thing that we will have to do. We have to make a splash in FA besides just him in other words to get him here I think.

I don't think we are just a couple of additions away from anything.  It might take 2-3 years, but i think our winning window is bigger and more sustainable than the broncos.  Also I am not sure that i agree that the Bronco's are more stable right now.  Vance Joseph was just almost fired after 1 year, that would be with his entire staff.  Ya their GM is more stable but that is less impactful imo.  If you watched any Denver games last year Joseph was a deeply unimpressive HC.  I never thought I would say this but i would rather have Bowles than Joseph.  

2 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

I don't think we are just a couple of additions away from anything.  It might take 2-3 years, but i think our winning window is bigger and more sustainable than the broncos.  Also I am not sure that i agree that the Bronco's are more stable right now.  Vance Joseph was just almost fired after 1 year, that would be with his entire staff.  Ya their GM is more stable but that is less impactful imo.  If you watched any Denver games last year Joseph was a deeply unimpressive HC.  I never thought I would say this but i would rather have Bowles than Joseph.  

I was more talking about how successful the franchise has been in general. I mean they just won a SB a few years ago after making playoff runs for 5 years in a row. That’s not including the Elway days. I know it’s different people and all, but the fact is the Broncos franchise as a whole is better than than ours. Not sure if that matters to Cousins at all, but it could. I mean look at our draft history for example. You think Cousins can trust we can build through the draft the next few years? We haven’t shown that we can draft well in over a decade. So while I agree that our “young” group of players is more talented than Denver’s... I’d bet Denver drafts better than us over the course of the next few years than we do. Just bc I really don’t trust Macc so far.

33 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I was more talking about how successful the franchise has been in general. I mean they just won a SB a few years ago after making playoff runs for 5 years in a row. That’s not including the Elway days. I know it’s different people and all, but the fact is the Broncos franchise as a whole is better than than ours. Not sure if that matters to Cousins at all, but it could. I mean look at our draft history for example. You think Cousins can trust we can build through the draft the next few years? We haven’t shown that we can draft well in over a decade. So while I agree that our “young” group of players is more talented than Denver’s... I’d bet Denver drafts better than us over the course of the next few years than we do. Just bc I really don’t trust Macc so far.

That’s a huge issue I have with getting Cousins depending on the contract. It’s going to require us to draft a lot better than we have been the past 3 years. We can’t keep drafting safeties and bust ILBs so early. He needs to start valuing positions more.

At least if we front load it so heavily I doubt we’ll be very good next year and if they sign Cousins and win 6 games I don’t think the coaches stick around.

Bottom line though is they sign Cousins and expectations are going to sky rocket, justified or not. Wouldn’t mind if that finally pushed Bowles and his staff out the door.

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I had looked around Broncos' crap.  Elways' draft is not that good. Maybe worse than Maccagnan's.

Also, the franchise appeared to be in good shape thanking to legit coaches such as John Fox, Gary Kubiak and Wade Phillips. Now, Vance Joseph was overwhelmed in HC debut and a bunch of players under previous coaches will face salary issue some time within 2 years.

Jets wont' deal with salary issue until after 3rd or 4th year in Cousins' contract. Still, kids and future draftees need to step up.

Just now, JetsandI said:

I had looked around Broncos' crap.  Elways' draft is not that good. Maybe worse than Maccagnan's.

Also, the franchise appeared to be in good shape thanking to legit coaches such as John Fox, Gary Kubiak and Wade Phillips. Now, Vance Joseph was overwhelmed in HC debut and a bunch of players under previous coaches will face salary issue some time within 2 years.

Jets wont' deal with salary issue until after 3rd or 4th year in Cousins' contract. Still, kids and future draftees need to step up.

I don’t disagree with that. But remember Cousins is a player not a FO exec. He doesn’t know our money situation and probably knows very little about our players bc we literally have no one that’s really worth talking about. We as Jets fans know all this. But Cousins knows nothing if that. He hears Broncos and Jets and immediately he thinks the Jets have sucked for a decade and the broncos have been a playoff team and have won’t 3 SBs in the last 20yrs. Those are facts. Yes I’m sure we will sit down with him and sell him our roster, money, other FA pickups and the draft. But just based on stability and success of a franchise, we can’t comoete with Denver. For all we know Cousins might not care about that at all. But he also could care about it a lot.

9 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I don’t disagree with that. But remember Cousins is a player not a FO exec. He doesn’t know our money situation and probably knows very little about our players bc we literally have no one that’s really worth talking about. We as Jets fans know all this. But Cousins knows nothing if that. He hears Broncos and Jets and immediately he thinks the Jets have sucked for a decade and the broncos have been a playoff team and have won’t 3 SBs in the last 20yrs. Those are facts. Yes I’m sure we will sit down with him and sell him our roster, money, other FA pickups and the draft. But just based on stability and success of a franchise, we can’t comoete with Denver. For all we know Cousins might not care about that at all. But he also could care about it a lot.

Ah, culture.   That is true. 

11 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

The guy doesn't live under a rock. He's a human being who is going to want to know the ins and outs of his potential options. He has an agent who is going to know exactly what we can spend for the next 5-7 years vs the next team. He's also a film rat so he knows the players that exist in the league and what they are capable of.  You're making it seem like he's going to do a quick wikipedia search  of "super bowl winners of the last decade" and go from there.   

3 minutes ago, Sapo28 said:

The guy doesn't live under a rock. He's a human being who is going to want to know the ins and outs of his potential options. He has an agent who is going to know exactly what we can spend for the next 5-7 years vs the next team. He's also a film rat so he knows the players that exist in the league and what they are capable of.  You're making it seem like he's going to do a quick wikipedia search  of "super bowl winners of the last decade" and go from there.   

Cousins is interested in a winning formula and does not require to look up Wiki to know Jets are not part of that formula.

27 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think your selling Cousins a bit short. While I agree with you on the idea that Cousins will look at Denver more positively than he does the Jets, I think he will most definitely understand the teams cap situation. Really I don't think Denver is a good choice for Cousins. It's got to be one of NYJ, JAX, or MIN. He will have to take less money to make JAX or MIN work. 

ESPN put out a decent article about the potential contract offers Cousins may receive. http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22347565/kirk-cousins-2018-nfl-free-agency-sweepstakes-seven-offers-sign-quarterback-picking-best

1 minute ago, SDotNova said:

I think your selling Cousins a bit short. While I agree with you on the idea that Cousins will look at Denver more positively than he does the Jets, I think he will most definitely understand the teams cap situation. Really I don't think Denver is a good choice for Cousins. It's got to be one of NYJ, JAX, or MIN. He will have to take less money to make JAX or MIN work. 

ESPN put out a decent article about the potential contract offers Cousins may receive. http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22347565/kirk-cousins-2018-nfl-free-agency-sweepstakes-seven-offers-sign-quarterback-picking-best

Vikes are the best choice.  Strong GM, HC and drafts.  

Cousins will make sure that ## of base salary or guaranteed roster bonus included in first 3 years for all teams.  That way he can get $$$ quicker than soft contract (Vikings/Jaguars/Broncos) stands after restructuring his contract to meet team salary in y2 and y3. That means a signing team may stuck with him for a good 4 or 5 years, which it is better than Jimmy G type contract with Browns or Jets.

1 hour ago, SDotNova said:

Didn't Shannahan or someone come out and say Cousins is a bright and studious person who has note books on each possible FA destination.

If any of us sitting behind a QB screen can find all you need to know about the Jets roster from PFF or salary cap space from overthecap I think Cousins has a pretty good idea about what we can offer in terms of current talent and future cap space.

We aren't the best location at the moment but alot can happen with the rest of our cap space and multiple high picks that we can surround him with a really solid roster even if it is still lacking behind MIN and/or JAC.  It won't be that far off especially considering MIN will have a handful of guys next year.  As that article said JAC may be the best situation for him so lets hope they commit to Bortles.

One thing that worries me about the Cousin's situation is if Cleveland gets involved and manages to push the bidding war up into an unmanageable situation. It's not like we'd be snagging a Russell Wilson away from the Seahawks. I like the idea of front loading the contract  though, and from Cousin's perspective, I'd think he'd like that too in terms of how the team would be able to spend in the future. 

I just can't decide what I'd rather have. If you tell me Mayfield will be there at six, and no trade involved, I think I'd rather go that route. Rather gamble on our own guy given that I'm indifferent to the Coaching staff or FO in terms of how it impacts them. I definitely would rather sign Cousins than trade the farm to move up for anybody though. 

Archived