Why I believe Kirk Cousins will be a New York Jet

jetskid007

So I asked around in the Minnesota board for some opinions. Definitely seems they all want Cousins. There is an issue though that most seemed to acknowledge. If let’s say us and other teams are offering around 35mill per. They have to be out. They’re not rich in cap space and can pay him whatever. And the main reason why is future years. They have to pay 4-5 pretty big players next offseason coming off rookie deals. They don’t have enough cap space to pay Cousins 35mill per and pay those guys. The overwhelming opinion was if they can get him for around 25 (maybe 30) it could be doable perhaps. But anything over than that, they are out.

I also asked about Bridgewater in case we missed out on Cousins as an option. I had no clue how great his character was until every last one of them made that the biggest pro about him. Minnesota in fact put Cook’s locker next to his bc they knew Teddy would keep him straight. Very high character guy. Why is that big? Bc that’s what we big time have been looking for in players. Regarding his play it’s a big question mark like we all knew. They say he’s limited throwing deep and had some ball placement issues. But is actually pretty clutch on 3rd downs and such. Should be an interesting offseason to say the least.

5 hours ago, Akomplice said:

If we lose the Cousins sweepstakes, I'm all in on Bridgewater. If we Jets it up and fail to land either one, I'll my name to the Baker Mayfield bandwagon.

If we lose out on Cousins and get Bridgewater instead, I would still want the Jets to draft either Rosen or Mayfield. 

Losing out to Cousins to a team not named Denver is a worse case scenario for us. 

2 hours ago, xenajets said:

Would you rather live in NY or Minnesota though?!?!  

He would probably live in Franklin lakes, Bergen county in New Jersey. It is only a stone throw from the Stadium. That is where a lot of players live. It is about 25 minutes away from Giant Stadium, or what ever they call it now. 

3 hours ago, doumeyer said:

He would probably live in Franklin lakes, Bergen county in New Jersey. It is only a stone throw from the Stadium. That is where a lot of players live. It is about 25 minutes away from Giant Stadium, or what ever they call it now. 

Exactly! Surely the draw of NY will be a factor. He could still live away from everything but a stones throw away from the best city in the world. 

7 hours ago, SDotNova said:

Cousins would be crazy not to go to Minny. They have a team that can compete for the Super Bowl for the next few years. Plus they have a QB friendly offense. 

They can only pay him around 25mill according to their board. So if 10mill more per year means something to Cousins... we are a match (and 10mill is a big difference).

6 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

They can only pay him around 25mill according to their board. So if 10mill more per year means something to Cousins... we are a match (and 10mill is a big difference).

They can get close to 60 mill in cap space, they can easily pay him the 30 mill that seems like the going rate.  Even if they signed him to 30 mill per in 2019 they would still have just under 48 million in cap space without doing anything creative.  That is enough to sign Barr, Hunter, and Diggs.

Also to answer the earlier question i would rather live in Mn than NY.  The cost of living is insanely less, so even if they paid him slightly less it would be more buying power, also Mn is a pretty awesome place.  Minneapolis is a really fun town.

10 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

That may move my opinion of Cousins into the too expensive category.  I know people can say well you'll pay him 30 but won't just go another 5.  You have to draw the line somewhere though.

An extra 5M per season is like losing out a a solid starter at another position so if you look at it like that that extra 5M hurts the roster.  Maybe not in year 1 with 100+ to spend but eventually it could.

I'm staying at 5/150.  You either want to be here or you don't.  The other two teams DEN/MIN can't offer that much so the only reason to go to 35 per is to force his hand here.  I don't want a guy that is only here for the money.   

1 hour ago, xenajets said:

Exactly! Surely the draw of NY will be a factor. He could still live away from everything but a stones throw away from the best city in the world. 

He doesn't seem like the type that would be drawn towards the nightlife in NY.  I could be wrong but I don't see NY being a huge factor.  

22 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

That may move my opinion of Cousins into the too expensive category.  I know people can say well you'll pay him 30 but won't just go another 5.  You have to draw the line somewhere though.

An extra 5M per season is like losing out a a solid starter at another position so if you look at it like that that extra 5M hurts the roster.  Maybe not in year 1 with 100+ to spend but eventually it could.

I'm staying at 5/150.  You either want to be here or you don't.  The other two teams DEN/MIN can't offer that much so the only reason to go to 35 per is to force his hand here.  I don't want a guy that is only here for the money.   

Minnesota can offer that much.  Denver can too, but they'd be idiots to.

9 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

So I asked around in the Minnesota board for some opinions. Definitely seems they all want Cousins. There is an issue though that most seemed to acknowledge. If let’s say us and other teams are offering around 35mill per. They have to be out. They’re not rich in cap space and can pay him whatever. And the main reason why is future years. They have to pay 4-5 pretty big players next offseason coming off rookie deals. They don’t have enough cap space to pay Cousins 35mill per and pay those guys. The overwhelming opinion was if they can get him for around 25 (maybe 30) it could be doable perhaps. But anything over than that, they are out.

I also asked about Bridgewater in case we missed out on Cousins as an option. I had no clue how great his character was until every last one of them made that the biggest pro about him. Minnesota in fact put Cook’s locker next to his bc they knew Teddy would keep him straight. Very high character guy. Why is that big? Bc that’s what we big time have been looking for in players. Regarding his play it’s a big question mark like we all knew. They say he’s limited throwing deep and had some ball placement issues. But is actually pretty clutch on 3rd downs and such. Should be an interesting offseason to say the least.

My issue with Bridgewater is that he could very well prevent us from taking a QB at 6 which means we take one in the 2nd round. Historically 2nd round QBs don't pan out so for me that is a wasted pick if the goal is a starting QB. Bridgewater could be the answer at QB but I am worried about him because of the knee. If we were able to see him in a few games that may change my point of view. I think he is a high risk high reward player, that could lead to us asking the same QB questions for the next 2 years.

IMO Teddy is the perfect fit for a team that is outside of striking distance for one of the top QBs.

25 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

I agree I think that is probably my limit on what I want to pay Kirk ($30M) I would be open to a 6th year though. I think the only card we could hold that is valuable is if we want to fully guarantee a deal. That opens Pandora's box in terms of NFL contracts and the NFLPA will pressure Kirk to take that deal in the best interest of future players. I don't really want Kirk if that is the only reason he is coming here, I feel like he's not picking the best situation for HIM which could ultimately lead to tension later on.

8 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

I agree I think that is probably my limit on what I want to pay Kirk ($30M) I would be open to a 6th year though. I think the only card we could hold that is valuable is if we want to fully guarantee a deal. That opens Pandora's box in terms of NFL contracts and the NFLPA will pressure Kirk to take that deal in the best interest of future players. I don't really want Kirk if that is the only reason he is coming here, I feel like he's not picking the best situation for HIM which could ultimately lead to tension later on.

Not sure I want to fully guarantee it either.  I'd be ok with a big guarantee but fully, not so much.

I'd also want to structure it so his cap hit declines moving forward not increases.

Archived