Why I believe Kirk Cousins will be a New York Jet

jetskid007

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

Yeah which means if we do decided to throw big money at a single person we construct it so we can have an out-clause after 2 years...i.e. Mo this year (at least for the most part)

I dont want a single guy over 28. Cousins is different because hes not that old when speaking about a QB. 

Completely agree. But there will be a ton on guys out there that can big time help this team in te age range of 24-27. 

7 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Completely agree. But there will be a ton on guys out there that can big time help this team in te age range of 24-27. 

Yeah and hopefully we are responsible with the money. I want to be better next year, but i dont want to go back to 2015 and have a team full of band-aids. 

33 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Yeah and hopefully we are responsible with the money. I want to be better next year, but i dont want to go back to 2015 and have a team full of band-aids. 

Absolutely. I also don't want us to spend it in stupid places we already have talent at. Macc has done that recently. I mean how many DLineman has he brought in now? He also has a revolving door at WR for some reason when we have a few good talents. WR I'm ok with us addressing but with a great player like an Allen Robinson, Jarvis Landry or something along those lines. Not the Jeremy Kerleys of the FA market.

54 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

If the Jags cut Bortles I'd be on board with a 2 year deal even if it's a slight over pay for him. I'd still do whatever it takes to get a QB in the first but I think he has spiked my intrigue enough this past month to roll the dice.

I was thinking about this too. I don’t think Bortles moves. He’s played well enough this year to stay. Also look at his weapons? He’s putting up solid numbers with his top WRs out most the year. He looks way better than last season and I think they keep him. But if cut... he has to be in the possibilities for us after Cousins. My question is who would you rather Bortles or Bridgewater? 

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 11:53 PM, Bobby816 said:

Well the people complaining about Cousins’ talent quite frankly are clueless. You’re not a risk when you’re pretty much never injured and will have thrown for 4,000yds in 3 straight seasons with a better than 2:1 TD:INT ratio in that time. 

Don't forget he played with less than average receivers this year . We should make every attempt to try to sign him, if he becomes available. 

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I was thinking about this too. I don’t think Bortles moves. He’s played well enough this year to stay. Also look at his weapons? He’s putting up solid numbers with his top WRs out most the year. He looks way better than last season and I think they keep him. But if cut... he has to be in the possibilities for us after Cousins. My question is who would you rather Bortles or Bridgewater? 

Oo I'd take Bortles of Bridgewater all day. I don't think Tesdy leaves the Vikings for a one year deal elsewhere, I think he stays put and tries to maximize his potential in a system he already knows. The issue with Bortles would be is he worth $18M next year, I think that could be the struggle. I can certainly see them waiting a year which means that's one less team that could be in the Cousins hunt.

On 12/21/2017 at 8:22 AM, rdelaney89 said:

If the Jags cut Bortles I'd be on board with a 2 year deal even if it's a slight over pay for him. I'd still do whatever it takes to get a QB in the first but I think he has spiked my intrigue enough this past month to roll the dice.

No thanks.  He'll get overpaid.

3 hours ago, barnaby8787 said:

No thanks.  He'll get overpaid.

If a 2 year deal at $15-18M per gives us one more option potentially to have a franchise QB IMO it's worth it. I would absolutely still draft a QB but with close to $100M in cap next year money should not be the reason we don't have a QB.

1 hour ago, rdelaney89 said:

If a 2 year deal at $15-18M per gives us one more option potentially to have a franchise QB IMO it's worth it. I would absolutely still draft a QB but with close to $100M in cap next year money should not be the reason we don't have a QB.

He's not a franchise QB though.  He's caught fire over the past few weeks against some of the league's worst D's.  On paper, he hasn't been much better than McCown.

6 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

He's not a franchise QB though.  He's caught fire over the past few weeks against some of the league's worst D's.  On paper, he hasn't been much better than McCown.

Honestly if you told me I could get McCown's production this year in the body of a 25 year old, I'd probably roll the dice on a 2 year contract for that guy. McCown's age and durability is the issue, not so much his play.

Trying to catch up on the convo...

Bortles sitll isnt very good IMO and i pray we dont get fooled. He has nothing going on upstairs. Very unintelligent football player. Hard pass. 

@Bobby816 I dont know if people are questioning cousins talent as they are so how much money he is worth. I want to be exciting next year. If Cousins doesnt take more than 25 mil which is still pretty absurd, or cost us a draft pick, hard not to be intrigued.

In terms of McCown. We cant resign him with the idea he can be a stop-gap. We've had that for 3 straight years. That is a poor job by your GM. Mac needs to bring in a starter somehow. If he cant he will get fired. I pray he retires and wants to coach here. 

5 hours ago, ekill08x said:

Trying to catch up on the convo...

Bortles sitll isnt very good IMO and i pray we dont get fooled. He has nothing going on upstairs. Very unintelligent football player. Hard pass. 

@Bobby816 I dont know if people are questioning cousins talent as they are so how much money he is worth. I want to be exciting next year. If Cousins doesnt take more than 25 mil which is still pretty absurd, or cost us a draft pick, hard not to be intrigued.

In terms of McCown. We cant resign him with the idea he can be a stop-gap. We've had that for 3 straight years. That is a poor job by your GM. Mac needs to bring in a starter somehow. If he cant he will get fired. I pray he retires and wants to coach here. 

Cousins will likely command $28M per year average, a heavily front loaded deal would bring him back down to $23-24M in years 3-6 when the cap is set to be over $200M. Percentage wise (12% of the cap) would put him lower than Brady, Ryan, Rivers, Eli, Newton, Big Ben, and Wilson. We won't have one contract over $10M this coming offseason with our young players locked up until 2020, there is no reason a Cousin deal can't get done with a limited impact on our ability to resign players.

We are last in cash spending so signing Cousins and giving him a large bonus (say 40m) would help bring us closer to the middle of the league.  We have so much cap space now plus the normal increase over the years, makes a 28m per year cap hit very manageable.

So financially Cousins makes total sense, we just have to believe that his production over the last three years wasn’t because of some magic spell Gruden was weaving.

Archived