2024 Blue Chips

Danger

3 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

He’s a today’s TE. Move player who is a mismatch nightmare. Legitimate speed. I’ll be interested to see how he plays outside of Monken’s scheme. He’s not too small for the role he will be asked to play. 

Also should add Brock is an underrated blocker. As a big slot he gives you a plus blocker on the inside. He can also give you a plus blocker outside if flexed out. He can give you what Isaiah Likely gave Baltimore last year in that department as he had knocks on his blocking coming out but that was looking at inline ability when he mostly played flexed out at CC and then was PFF’s highest rated blocking TE last year because he had matchups on Safeties/Corners and Backers and was able to open up run lanes. Brock can take end arounds to the house. He is like a WR/TE/RB. Obviously he isn’t going to take carries like a RB nor am I saying he should but the way he is with the ball in his hands. Not sure the league has really seen anything like him… not as RB able as Deebo but bigger for sure. Brock plays with legitimate high 4.4 speed, probably 4.4.7-4.49. Not sure what he will test at but UGA has been pumping out some freak athletic numbers so we will see.

Another player who has blue chip ability but I need to really dive into the film and wouldn’t call him a blue chip yet based on what I have seen but clear potential to be one is James Williams the safety from Miami. Kid is big but he looks good moving around the field. Not sure if he is one of those that will need to move to LBer he is listed at 6’5 224. Probably will measure 6’3.5-6’4 as most college listings are over exaggerations. Would like to see him make more plays his Junior year but was a top end recruit. Did play I think most all last season with an injury to his shoulder as well. Miami fans could probably speak more on him than I can.

1 hour ago, MacReady said:

Yeah, man. He’s my guy. He’s going to be that Woodson/Fitzpatrick/Reed type. He’s gonna create turnovers. Not just get them, but create them. He’s a former QB who plays DB like a WR.

He plays defense with an offensive mind.

Sir since when have you watched football?  Shouldn't you be watching The Thing or something?  ;o) Nah, I agree totally with you on DeJean, amazing season last year and super impressive especially on special teams, for sure the dude could be a killer gunner worst case or could transition to safety and provide slot coverage skills, deep cover or be an attacking blitzer.  He is well put together that is for sure and love his tackling ability as a corner.   Mind you Iowa does have CBs who have great years statistically like DeJean had last year with INTs but never turn into anything in the NFL, example being Josh Jackson, Desmond King, Michael Ojemudia, Matt Hankins etc.  Riley Moss still early to tell with him obviously but those other guys showed promise but none of them really turned out in the NFL.  That defensive system clearly allows for CB production in terms of INTs.  That UK bowl game was not really fair though, that was an awful backup UK QB and DeJean and Nwankpa the safety both got picks for TDs in that game against a UK team that was not real game on performance.

Will be interesting how DeJean does with expectations now of being one of the top or at the top of the best CBs in college currently.  Eli Ricks did not handle that too well last year and had an awful season on Bama and even got benched.  He was coming off injury though and going to a new system but he did not look like the same player.  Nick Jackson will be a monster for Iowa at LB no question and they could be good with an actual QB now who is nothing great but anything is better than Petras last year.  Got to give him props though for mental toughness, the fans and media killed that dude last year week in and week out.  Is a down year for CBs, at least currently looks that way and Kool-Aid McKinstry is the only real competition for DeJean as the top corner, but sure some guys will emerge and or improve.  Take the top corner this past year though, no way I take DeJean over Devon Witherspoon and probably not Gonzalez either if they were all in the same draft.  So he has work to do.  

10 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Also should add Brock is an underrated blocker. As a big slot he gives you a plus blocker on the inside. He can also give you a plus blocker outside if flexed out. He can give you what Isaiah Likely gave Baltimore last year in that department as he had knocks on his blocking coming out but that was looking at inline ability when he mostly played flexed out at CC and then was PFF’s highest rated blocking TE last year because he had matchups on Safeties/Corners and Backers and was able to open up run lanes. Brock can take end arounds to the house. He is like a WR/TE/RB. Obviously he isn’t going to take carries like a RB nor am I saying he should but the way he is with the ball in his hands. Not sure the league has really seen anything like him… not as RB able as Deebo but bigger for sure. Brock plays with legitimate high 4.4 speed, probably 4.4.7-4.49. Not sure what he will test at but UGA has been pumping out some freak athletic numbers so we will see.

League never seen anything like him?  If Bowers is as good as Travis Kelce or George Kittle he will be very lucky, when in reality it is not all that likely that he has equal great careers like those two have had.  Both of which are with great offensive minds and one has a HOF QB throwing him the ball and the other has one of the best most creative run game / play action play callers in the NFL. 

Mind you Michael Mayer most thought he would be a super high pick a year ago today, then falls to the 2nd round.  Brock Bowers is good but let us be honest, he is nothing athletically compared to Vernon Davis who ran what 4.38 40 time, 42" vertical and 33 reps at 225 as a TE.  No way Brock Bowers is that type of athlete, insane production no question but that team also has pretty suspect WR play and an offense keyed around the TE position and the difficultly defenses have defending it.  Great play caller who is now in the NFL no big surprise.  Will be interesting how Bowers does this year with a different QB and a new playcaller, also no Darnell Washington who was a real weapon in the run game and passing game allowing Bowers to flex out.  Delp is not that type of blocker at all and if anything is similar to Bowers in the fact he is an oversized WR put at TE.  

Evan Engram, sure he is a very good TE in the NFL but is he an all time TE and Hall of Fame TE?  Not so sure about that, puts up stats but his size is a little bit of an issue or it is where he plays.  Did seem better on the Jaguars in that system than the Giants.  If Bowers is as equal of an athlete to Engram he should have similar success, but being on the level of Kelce or Kittle is pretty damn hard to get to.  Those two have insane bravado and confidence on and off the field, plus both play at 250 not 230 and Kelce is legit 6-5 with great route running ability.  Not sure how much that confidence and swagger has to do with their success but not sure Bowers fits that mold if it does have a little to do with it.  If he is picked high he will have a high bar to reach that is for sure, basically HOF of bust if he is being compared to Kelce and Kittle.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

League never seen anything like him? If Bowers is as good as Travis Kelce or George Kittle he will be very lucky,

Another misinterpretation by you and I’m not surprised. Everything with you is so black and white. I didn’t say he would be better than Kelce or Kittle what I said is the uniqueness in what he has actually displayed in college with his versatility. Can you show me highlights of Kelce or Kittle in college taking end arounds 75 yards for TDs? Could they do it? Maybe so. But Bowers has put this versatility on tape. 

18 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Another misinterpretation by you and I’m not surprised. Everything with you is so black and white. I didn’t say he would be better than Kelce or Kittle what I said is the uniqueness in what he has actually displayed in college with his versatility. Can you show me highlights of Kelce or Kittle in college taking end arounds 75 yards for TDs? Could they do it? Maybe so. But Bowers has put this versatility on tape. 

Get over it, one 75 yard run makes him the most rare TE the NFL has ever seen, seen nothing like him before as a TE?  Jaheim Bell in college football last year as a TE ran for 231 yards and 3 TDs and actually played running back for South Carolina when they needed him.  Had almost 500 yards the year previous as a pass catching TE and a huge bowl game against UNC with 159 yards and 2 TDs, and in that same game carried in 3 times for 21 yards as well.   Now transferred to Florida State as a TE and could be a very solid power back or a great flex TE.  Rare?  No, it is just creative offensive play calling or usage of players when injuries happen.  

Johnny Langan is used the same way on Rutgers, a little TE work and a little RB work.  Same build also at 6-3 ish around 230.

Edited by Ozzy
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Get over it, one 75 yard run makes him the most rare TE the NFL has ever seen, seen nothing like him before as a TE?  Jaheim Bell in college football last year as a TE ran for 231 yards and 3 TDs and actually played running back for South Carolina when they needed him.  Had almost 500 yards the year previous as a pass catching TE and a huge bowl game against UNC with 159 yards and 2 TDs, and in that same game carried in 3 times for 21 yards as well.   Now transferred to Florida State as a TE and could be a very solid power back or a great flex TE.  Rare?  No, it is just creative offensive play calling or usage of players when injuries happen.  

Johnny Langan is used the same way on Rutgers, a little TE work and a little RB work.  Same build also at 6-3 ish around 230.

Bell is not the TE prospect that Bowers is. So for him to be as great a prospect with his added ability on end arounds yeah he is rare. Your opinion means nothing to me anymore in this forum. Unfortunately that’s what happens when you expose yourself to think the way you’ve shown and the way you belittle posters who have opinions outside of your own. You don’t need to quote this. I won’t be reading your response. Just trying to save you some time. 

23 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

JT Tuimololau may end up in the top 10. He was the top DE in the country in 2021 and seems to be living up to expectations. 

You’re going to get hit with the “all his production was in one game against PSU, how is he living up to expectations!”

I don't know if he's necessarily a blue chip guy (top 5-10 pick), but Jason Marshall (CB Florida) is worth watching. He was miscast in our terrible scheme last year, but he has serious talent. I could also see Austin Barber (LT Florida) shooting up draft boards. We basically told Richard Gouraige, a four-year starter (including two at LT), that he should go to the NFL because Barber was going to start at LT in 2023.

15 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

Bell is not the TE prospect that Bowers is. So for him to be as great a prospect with his added ability on end arounds yeah he is rare. Your opinion means nothing to me anymore in this forum. Unfortunately that’s what happens when you expose yourself to think the way you’ve shown and the way you belittle posters who have opinions outside of your own. You don’t need to quote this. I won’t be reading your response. Just trying to save you some time. 

You’re always welcome with us fellow diehard Wisconsin fans in the Badgers forum. @beekay414 @ramssuperbowl99 @incognito_man @squire12

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

Another player who has blue chip ability but I need to really dive into the film and wouldn’t call him a blue chip yet based on what I have seen but clear potential to be one is James Williams the safety from Miami. Kid is big but he looks good moving around the field. Not sure if he is one of those that will need to move to LBer he is listed at 6’5 224. Probably will measure 6’3.5-6’4 as most college listings are over exaggerations. Would like to see him make more plays his Junior year but was a top end recruit. Did play I think most all last season with an injury to his shoulder as well. Miami fans could probably speak more on him than I can.

He could be elite. He has the size and athleticism to be the GOAT. But he’s not a great player right now. Poor technique and a really slow trigger to the run game & to sifting through route concepts. Physically, everything and then some. As a player? Right now, not a 1st rounder. 

13 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

You’re going to get hit with the “all his production was in one game against PSU, how is he living up to expectations!”

He was a monster in that game, mostly against a backup T. But he showed all year why he was so highly rated coming out of HS. His balance is unreal and he has good size and strength. If he continues to develop, then top 10 in the draft is a realistic goal for him. He's not as fast as Chase Young but probably is as strong as Nick Bosa. 

• Like 2