2024 Blue Chips

Danger

5 minutes ago, RedandPewterReturns said:

That and he was a gun slinger. Guys like Mahomes and Josh Allen - sometimes where they're huge prospects in terms of size, arm strength and athleticism, if they don't show some of the little things - scouts pick apart the prospect. Now in no terms should that say "well anthony richardson" - completely different. 

Allen was harder to scout bc he played at Wyoming - similar to how Trey Lance was difficult to scout. 

I love caleb williams as a prospect. I wouldn't second guess myself taking him over Drake Maye. I'm just curious as to how some PFF scouts have Maye graded out higher than Williams last year.....when I saw more inconsistencies with Maye. 

I'm not going to pretend I'm an expert on UNC football, or NCAA football generally, but maybe some of Maye's inconsistencies came from UNC losing so much offensive firepower the year before?

9 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'm not going to pretend I'm an expert on UNC football, or NCAA football generally, but maybe some of Maye's inconsistencies came from UNC losing so much offensive firepower the year before?

i mean its possible? but I thought that was the excuse for Howell when he lost all that talent in 2021 season - where he looked like a first rounder in 2019 and 2020. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RedandPewterReturns said:

i mean its possible? but I thought that was the excuse for Howell when he lost all that talent in 2021 season - where he looked like a first rounder in 2019 and 2020. 

Yeah, that's right. I got my years mixed up. Like I said, I don't really pay attention to college football. 

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Not enough Chop Robinson talk around here 

I think he'll be a first round guy, but I don't see him in the top 10 as it stands right now. He's good at a lot of things, but he doesn't feel... elite in any sense.

~ The resident Penn State fan

26 minutes ago, Danger said:

I think he'll be a first round guy, but I don't see him in the top 10 as it stands right now. He's good at a lot of things, but he doesn't feel... elite in any sense.

~ The resident Penn State fan

I get it, but in the same breath, he looks plenty athletic and I think he has a better pass rushing toolbox than Nolan Smith. Depending on how plays this year and how he tests, he could make a push.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

Not so sure? Hot take alert here.

Totally disregard the rest of the comments afterward then I guess...

Point being if Bowers is in that 230 range and not the 250 range like Kelce and Kittle that could be an issue, so could be switching to WR for Bowers which some around here wanted Evan Engram to do coming into the NFL.  I feel that would be a mistake because as a TE with that speed and if he adds more weight he could be a Hall of Fame type guy, if he stays smaller he could have issues just like Evan Engram has had.  Engram is a good TE sure but yeah not a Hall of Fame player.

Is Brock Bowers Shannon Sharpe athletically who was an adonnis physically?  No he is not.  Ozzie Newsome was smaller 230 range as the other all time TE at that size, but played in a different time where 230 was not the 230 it is now a days.  Even Delaine Walker played around 250 playing weight.  

Will be interesting how Bowers does with the different QB, different OC next year and expectations of what, having well over 1000 yards receiving if not way more than that.  Could he be a DK Metcalf at WR, well again not sure he is quite that athletic honestly compared to him.  Thus TE is probably where he is more dangerous and could be the biggest threat. 

On 5/22/2023 at 10:17 AM, RedandPewterReturns said:

That and he was a gun slinger. Guys like Mahomes and Josh Allen - sometimes where they're huge prospects in terms of size, arm strength and athleticism, if they don't show some of the little things - scouts pick apart the prospect. Now in no terms should that say "well anthony richardson" - completely different. 

Allen was harder to scout bc he played at Wyoming - similar to how Trey Lance was difficult to scout. 

I love caleb williams as a prospect. I wouldn't second guess myself taking him over Drake Maye. I'm just curious as to how some PFF scouts have Maye graded out higher than Williams last year.....when I saw more inconsistencies with Maye. 

Overall I agree, but I think the gunslinger stigma thing was more overblown than anything. He knew he had to put up 45 to win (and while putting up 45ppg they went 7-6 one year lol) so the aggression was out of necessity. his 2% INT rate is actually pretty damn good for the fact that every team knew they were dropping back to pass over 60% of the time, AND knew his OL and WRs were meh at the very best. Hell Mahomes actually lead his team in rushing attempts in 2016. Mahomes scoring was the closest thing the team had to defense. Embarrassing. lol

On 5/22/2023 at 10:17 AM, RedandPewterReturns said:

More inconsistencies?  Well of course he was not as proven or as experienced.  It was his first time out there for a long period of time.  Not to mention the talent around him was not even comparable.  UNC had way less receiving talent no question about it compared to USC.  I would say USC had a better OL as well and a more legit run game than UNC had this past year but both run games were nothing great.

Josh Downs WR 3rd round pick
Antoine Green WR 7th round pick
Bryson Nesbit TE (potential late round draft pick at TE)
(No RB who will be drafted in the NFL most likely on the roster then)

Jordan Addison WR 1st round pick
Travis Dye RB UDFA 
Terrell Bynum WR UDFA 
Mario Williams WR (potential 1st, 2nd or 3rd round draft pick)
Tahj Washington WR (potential mid round draft pick)
Brenden Rice WR (potential mid to late round draft pick)

It will be really interesting how Maye does because now he has even less weapons at the WR spot.  Unless some of the transfers really turnout, a WR on Georgia Tech who had over 600 yards last year Nate McCollum and a WR from Kent State that had over 900 yards Devontez Walker.  Also will be interesting how he does without Phil Longo and Chip Lindsey instead.  

Caleb Williams is more charismatic, a better leader and motivator.  Maye I would say has better mechanics and arm talent as a passer.  

• Like 1

On 7/3/2023 at 5:28 PM, Ozzy said:

More inconsistencies?  Well of course he was not as proven or as experienced.  It was his first time out there for a long period of time.  Not to mention the talent around him was not even comparable.  UNC had way less receiving talent no question about it compared to USC.  I would say USC had a better OL as well and a more legit run game than UNC had this past year but both run games were nothing great.

Josh Downs WR 3rd round pick
Antoine Green WR 7th round pick
Bryson Nesbit TE (potential late round draft pick at TE)
(No RB who will be drafted in the NFL most likely on the roster then)

Jordan Addison WR 1st round pick
Travis Dye RB UDFA 
Terrell Bynum WR UDFA 
Mario Williams WR (potential 1st, 2nd or 3rd round draft pick)
Tahj Washington WR (potential mid round draft pick)
Brenden Rice WR (potential mid to late round draft pick)

It will be really interesting how Maye does because now he has even less weapons at the WR spot.  Unless some of the transfers really turnout, a WR on Georgia Tech who had over 600 yards last year Nate McCollum and a WR from Kent State that had over 900 yards Devontez Walker.  Also will be interesting how he does without Phil Longo and Chip Lindsey instead.  

Caleb Williams is more charismatic, a better leader and motivator.  Maye I would say has better mechanics and arm talent as a passer.  

Again, I'm not saying Maye isn't good - its one year. Look at the year Sam Howell had his true freshman season and even sophomore and then a down jr year knocked him to round 4. 

That bowl game against Oregon was a tail of two Halves: first immaculate - 2nd, not so much even average. 

His second year will be intriguing and I'm rooting for him. As A bucs fan, we will need to hope there are a few franchise QB's in the draft :) 

On 7/2/2023 at 5:48 PM, Ozzy said:

Totally disregard the rest of the comments afterward then I guess...

Point being if Bowers is in that 230 range and not the 250 range like Kelce and Kittle that could be an issue, so could be switching to WR for Bowers which some around here wanted Evan Engram to do coming into the NFL.  I feel that would be a mistake because as a TE with that speed and if he adds more weight he could be a Hall of Fame type guy, if he stays smaller he could have issues just like Evan Engram has had.  Engram is a good TE sure but yeah not a Hall of Fame player.

Is Brock Bowers Shannon Sharpe athletically who was an adonnis physically?  No he is not.  Ozzie Newsome was smaller 230 range as the other all time TE at that size, but played in a different time where 230 was not the 230 it is now a days.  Even Delaine Walker played around 250 playing weight.  

Will be interesting how Bowers does with the different QB, different OC next year and expectations of what, having well over 1000 yards receiving if not way more than that.  Could he be a DK Metcalf at WR, well again not sure he is quite that athletic honestly compared to him.  Thus TE is probably where he is more dangerous and could be the biggest threat. 

You made some interesting points: 

-If he were to lose weight and try to be a receiver that would be a Devin Funchess type of disaster, He is really good running in a straight line but I'm not sure if he has the fluid hips to be a #1 or #2 receiver and constantly win vs elite #1 corners in the league.

-He definitely is a really good TE but part of me want to say that he benefitted from having a situation similar to the Ravens meaning he was the only legit threat as a receiver for that team and benefitted a lot from scheme. I would like to see if he can continue or get even better without the same structure of that offense. No to long ago people Michael Mayer was supposed to sure fire TE1 and we all know how that went.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

You made some interesting points: 

-If he were to lose weight and try to be a receiver that would be a Devin Funchess type of disaster, He is really good running in a straight line but I'm not sure if he has the fluid hips to be a #1 or #2 receiver and constantly win vs elite #1 corners in the league.

-He definitely is a really good TE but part of me want to say that he benefitted from having a situation similar to the Ravens meaning he was the only legit threat as a receiver for that team and benefitted a lot from scheme. I would like to see if he can continue or get even better without the same structure of that offense. No to long ago people Michael Mayer was supposed to sure fire TE1 and we all know how that went.

With Mayer he could still be a total superstar in the NFL with his toughness and ability to go get the football.  Dude is legit, sure some teams did not like he ran a 4.7 40 and had a bad vertical but the kid is tough and an all around TE who can block, good hands, run after the catch and break tackles.  Cowboys could be kicking themselves for not taking Mayer when they could, and getting Schoonmaker?  No way he is better than Mayer or even Tucker Kraft for that matter.  

I agree Bowers could be benefiting greatly from that team having no real better option at WR and he is the #1 option, not to mention Washington opposite him doing most of the blocking and being a big target in the pass game as well.  It will be very interesting how he does without Bennett at QB, Monken at OC and Washington as the other TE with him.  Great athlete and he is in super condition but honestly if he was to switch to WR not sure he would be as impactful at all, he is not DK Metcalf out there or something with 4.3 speed and 40" vertical.

• Like 1

Michael Mayer is gonna be the best TE from last year’s crop.

Bowers needs to stay at TE. He is a mismatch nightmare for teams. That goes away when he’s split out. Is he an ideal size for an in-line TE? No, not yet. But he is a good and willing blocker who can add weight. His frame would allow him to add the weight without sacrificing athleticism, of which he has plenty to give. 

• Like 1

On 7/13/2023 at 6:50 AM, BetterCallSaul said:

Michael Mayer is gonna be the best TE from last year’s crop.

Bowers needs to stay at TE. He is a mismatch nightmare for teams. That goes away when he’s split out. Is he an ideal size for an in-line TE? No, not yet. But he is a good and willing blocker who can add weight. His frame would allow him to add the weight without sacrificing athleticism, of which he has plenty to give. 

Yeah it will be interesting, I know Mike Bobo is no Todd Monken.  Bobo's track record is not great and sure had a long time at Georgia back in the early 2000s for awhile but not sure he is as creative as Todd Monken and Monken has been in the NFL multiple times and is getting another shot with the Ravens currently, Bobo has never been in the NFL and his time outside of Georgia was very so so, even at Georgia in that long stint they were just ok offensively. 

Monken has been the OC or passing game coordinator/WR coach for the Browns, Buccaneers, Jaguars and was with Oklahoma State, LSU, Louisiana Tech and was the HC for Southern Miss.  

They will also not have the charismatic motivational leadership from Bennett which will be a loss for that offense, lost their best OL in Jones last year and the tragic death of their best OG in Devin Willock is a big loss, and lost McClendon their 2nd best OT who was a 5th round pick.  Outside of the center Van Pran the OL is just ok.  

We will see how much Bowers can carry them as a team, because a lot around him is gone most importantly the OC and the QB.  Not sure he will have this Heisman year most assume he will have but will see.