Seattle Mariners Thread

Eagles27

20 minutes ago, Mesa_Titan said:

Does someone know something about Hancock that we don’t? He has been pretty much globally removed from top 100 lists altogether. I’m not understanding. 

Seems to be primary injury related in addition to not missing enough bats. 

If he pitches well for a full season he will move back into top 50's.

24 minutes ago, Eagles27 said:

Seems to be primary injury related in addition to not missing enough bats. 

If he pitches well for a full season he will move back into top 50's.

Has he even been injured, though? Or are we talking projected injuries? IIRC all he’s ever had with us has been “shoulder fatigue” which is the same thing Kirby was designated with. 

4 hours ago, Mesa_Titan said:

Has he even been injured, though? Or are we talking projected injuries? IIRC all he’s ever had with us has been “shoulder fatigue” which is the same thing Kirby was designated with. 

Yeah thats it. Seems like an overreaction, but given the concerns date back 2 years its not super surprising. 

I listened to BA's top 100 podcast and they had him as just missed/someone who could jump significantly with a good year. 

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Mesa_Titan said:

These FA’s are going to be going like hot cakes. Need to get out there and start talking to these guys we want. Gonna be an exciting few days I think. 

For sure.

The lockout was irritating, but the craziness we are about to see should hopefully make up for it.

Don't let us down Jerry. 

Of those prospect arms, Kirby is among the top prospects in baseball. Dipoto offered an exciting update on the 2019 first-round pick.

“He could not be further along,” Dipoto said. ” … In bullpens, live BP and simulated game setups, he is up to two innings in sim games and his fastball has touched (100-plus mph), he effortlessly sits in that 96-97 zone. It’s just a ton of strength. His his breaking stuff, particularly his changeup, has come a long way. George, unless something goes wildly wrong this year, George is going to impact our big league rotation and we feel like his his upside is top-of the-rotation. And I don’t think we’re keeping a secret by suggesting that. I do think there are many others in the industry who feel the same way.

This makes me happy.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Eagles27 said:

^Sounds like the want to give the 5th spot in the rotation to one of the top guys in the farm. Don't mind that at all. 

Focus on bats. 

I have a feeling we’ll see them add a veteran arm like Tyler Anderson to round things out. With all of these young guys presumptively on innings limits, they need that stability. Hopefully Dunn gets another crack at it too. 

My sister went on a date with a Mariners team scout a few weeks back. I had the chance to meet him and I suppose he saw it as an opportunity to win me over with some Mariners tea. 

According to him, Story is the team's top target due to his combination of age and speed. He was under the impression the team would prefer to play him at 3B so they can rotate guys like Toro/Frazier at 2B, but I've read other reports that they'd prefer Story at 2B due to his elbow concerns so who knows. 

Either way, it's Story, Bryant, or bust for us IMO. We have to walk away with one of those two heart-of-the-order bats. Beyond that, this guy mentioned that the team would love to add another left-handed bat (he didn't mention any names), so I'm wondering how realistic someone like Conforto, Schwarber, or Rosario might be for additional OF help. My guess is Schwarber prices himself out of our range with the new NL DH change. I'm pretty meh on Conforto and Rosario but they'd be fine as back-half-of-the-order bats. Suzuki would be more my preference but he's a righty. 

49 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

My sister went on a date with a Mariners team scout a few weeks back. I had the chance to meet him and I suppose he saw it as an opportunity to win me over with some Mariners tea. 

According to him, Story is the team's top target due to his combination of age and speed. He was under the impression the team would prefer to play him at 3B so they can rotate guys like Toro/Frazier at 2B, but I've read other reports that they'd prefer Story at 2B due to his elbow concerns so who knows. 

Either way, it's Story, Bryant, or bust for us IMO. We have to walk away with one of those two heart-of-the-order bats. Beyond that, this guy mentioned that the team would love to add another left-handed bat (he didn't mention any names), so I'm wondering how realistic someone like Conforto, Schwarber, or Rosario might be for additional OF help. My guess is Schwarber prices himself out of our range with the new NL DH change. I'm pretty meh on Conforto and Rosario but they'd be fine as back-half-of-the-order bats. Suzuki would be more my preference but he's a righty. 

The thing with Story is, if that story is true that they want him at second base, that either means they are going after both Story and Bryant, or that they have a ton of confidence in Toro at third.

I would like Story, but if he's not playing third, the Frazier trade makes no sense.

18 minutes ago, Mesa_Titan said:

The thing with Story is, if that story is true that they want him at second base, that either means they are going after both Story and Bryant, or that they have a ton of confidence in Toro at third.

I would like Story, but if he's not playing third, the Frazier trade makes no sense.

Well, fwiw, I heard from a direct source they'd shoot for him at 3B. The 2B reports are from who-knows-what source. 

Obviously I'd love Story and Bryant, I'm just not banking on that. 

Edited by SaveOurSonics

On 2/3/2022 at 9:26 AM, Mesa_Titan said:

Yeah we are just stacking and stacking every year now. That’s not even really counting Ford. If he impresses he will shoot up prospect lists really quickly.

Same with Lazaro Montes. He's obviously a long ways away, but there are already Yordan Alvarez comps with him.