Seattle Mariners Thread

Eagles27

1 hour ago, Mesa_Titan said:

Pretty decent pickup. Mariners need to think about trading away Cruz. I don't think they will, but he's worth a decent haul right now.

Trading Cruz is basically giving up on next season IMO. No way we can replace his bat.

Healy is a decent cheap option at 1B that hopefully means we intend to spend some money on pitching or CF. 

5 hours ago, Eagles27 said:

Yeah, no other way to really make sense of the trade. 

Guess they could be going after the Cuban guy as well. 

Only way I'm OK with keeping Cruz is if we get Otani/Darvish plus another at least #3 SP. Otherwise trying to win this year is a waste of time unless somehow Felix isn't going to be bad this year and Paxton is going to be healthy.

34 minutes ago, Mesa_Titan said:

Only way I'm OK with keeping Cruz is if we get Otani/Darvish plus another at least #3 SP. Otherwise trying to win this year is a waste of time unless somehow Felix isn't going to be bad this year and Paxton is going to be healthy.

I think the plan has to be Ohtani + Yu Darvish + Jarrod Dyson or Ohtani + Lorenzo Cain + #4 starter. Chances we get Ohtani aren't great considering almost every team will be in on him, so this is a risky course to take.

No way are we going to rebuild IMO. Cruz has some value, but not enough alone to give up on the next few seasons. If we trade Cruz, we have to trade Paxton, Seager, & Diaz as well and go all in on a rebuild. Doing that means we probably eat most of the Cano deal to trade him too. 

In a new team podcast, Mariners GM Jerry Dipoto says that the Mariners will make a "full-court press" for Shohei Otani.

Love this.

DiPoto said he would let him play the OF as well.

According to Mark Feinsand of MLB.com, there is "momentum" toward an agreement between the Mariners and free agent outfielder Jon Jay.

Hate this.

Don't want Jay. Bring back Dyson or spend on Cain. A downgrade at CF would be disappointing; especially since I doubt Jay comes that cheap.

4 hours ago, Eagles27 said:

Love this.

DiPoto said he would let him play the OF as well.

Hate this.

Don't want Jay. Bring back Dyson or spend on Cain. A downgrade at CF would be disappointing; especially since I doubt Jay comes that cheap.

Wouldn't mind Jay. Him and Dyson are basically the same player.

Really have a feeling we're going to be the one's to land Otani. Would be a very nice surprise.

4 hours ago, animaltested said:

Biggest weakness last year was starting pitching. No rumblings or grumblings related to the market?

Nothing besides being interested in Ohtani.

Dipoto did say earlier in the offseason he was happy with the rotation, but we have to assume/hope that is just posturing on his part.