Question about John DeFilippo

G08

Love seeing what your offense is doing and I'm wondering what you all think about your QB coach, John DeFilippo.

There's some talk that he might be in the mix for a head coaching job heading into 2018, and I know my ****ty Bears' John Fox is about to get fired.

Do you think this guy is ready for a gig like that? Did he have a role in helping develop Carson Wentz into, arguably, the league's MVP this season?

Thanks in advance... we desperately are looking for someone to come in and develop Mitch Trubisky and help raise our team from the depths of NFL hell.

18 minutes ago, G08 said:

Do you think this guy is ready for a gig like that?

Yes. 

Honestly, I think if some team is smart they would look at what Pederson and McVay have done with their young QBs and be on the look out for the next former QB that is a great offensive mind to work with their young QB and I think DeFilippo fits that bill perfectly. I've heard some Eagles beat writers talk about him being a possible candidate for the Giants job cause they'll likely be drafting a new QB with their high 1st round pick and the fact he got his NFL coaching career started with the Giants. If we did have to lose him this offseason which I obviously hope doesn't happen, then I'd rather he goes to Chicago, then ends up with a rival.

Some might think he's not ready cause he's a QB coach right now, but he was a Offensive Coordinator in Cleveland before this and did his best with the QBs he had there which weren't great and he also has been given credit as being responsible for Derek Carr's progression as a rookie as his QB coach before coming to the Browns.

I'm not sure he'll have as much success as a Sean McVay initially as I think the Rams had a more talented roster when he got there than the Bears do.

But, I do think if you can surround him with a good staff he can do great things with Trubisky, especially if you go out and get him some weapons like we did with Wentz.

19 minutes ago, G08 said:

Did he have a role in helping develop Carson Wentz into, arguably, the league's MVP this season?

Huge role.

Obviously having other former QBs that have helped coach guys up like Reich and Pederson helped too, but as QB coach DeFilippo worked closest with Wentz and has been given a lot of credit by Wentz and Pederson.

The limited play calling in his career bothers me a bit, but I suppose that would come secondary to how he would run a team.

I'm curious who he would bring with him as a staff... worked under Pettine in Cleveland, maybe that would be his DC. As for his OC... any guesses?

I expect him to be in the running for a few different gigs (CHI, AZ, Cincy, Indy) . I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't surround himself with some great NFL minds on both sides. 

I honestly would be hesitant because he hasn't had to be the leader of an entire ball club. A young team like the Bears could fit well, a team with vets like the GMEN I don't think would mesh well. They just tried that with this last guy, yes injuries played a part but they hired him for his offensive mind and still felt the need to make a change even with the idea of grabbing a QB early in next year's draft. 

1 hour ago, nlesthought said:

I expect him to be in the running for a few different gigs (CHI, AZ, Cincy, Indy) . I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't surround himself with some great NFL minds on both sides. 

I honestly would be hesitant because he hasn't had to be the leader of an entire ball club. A young team like the Bears could fit well, a team with vets like the GMEN I don't think would mesh well. They just tried that with this last guy, yes injuries played a part but they hired him for his offensive mind and still felt the need to make a change even with the idea of grabbing a QB early in next year's draft. 

I think he is going to be pretty high on Ryan Pace's list... he values communication, a head coach with a strong presence and one that exudes confidence and energy. Flip, from what I've gathered, is that dude. Derek Carr and Carson Wentz have raved about him, both Carr and Carson Palmer have called him a future head coach, etc.

I'm thinking he brings his former boss, Mike Pettine, as DC which works well for us in Chicago since we are a 3-4 defense. As for his OC and QB coach... no idea. Could be Greg Olson, could be Greg Knapp, could be someone else altogether.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived