2023 Draft Early Winners & Losers

RaidersAreOne

9 hours ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

It would seem that Robinson might have been a bit more of a fall guy than anticipated as this is a very similar draft. It seems like Vrabel greatly overvalues grit and toughness while underrating most everything else.

I floated that idea a while back, that it might be Vrabel’s staff more than JRob. Did he draft bad players, or did the staff fail to develop them?

That and the constant injuries clearly weren’t his fault.

But once he traded AJ Brown, he wasn’t getting the benefit of the doubt from anyone.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

As a Packers fan, we sucked today.  A TE who cant play the position and cant stay healthy, a low RAS 7th round WR, and then another TE who needed play action to be able to get open.

God awful.

I mean, I get being pessimistic but this is a whole new level.  There's a legit knock on Musgrave for his health, but the notion that he can't play TE is wild.  Watching either of his games against Boise State or Fresno State, and the talent level is obvious.  If he would have stayed healthy and productive, he would have easily been a top 15 pick.  For a team that generally avoids players with injury concerns, the fact that they were willing to take him this early shows what they feel his health situation is.  Athletically, he compares pretty favorably to Travis Kelce and even Kyle Pitts (aside from the 40 time).  He might have the floor that say Michael Mayer has, the ceiling is substantially higher.

Not sure anything about your Jayden Reed part is accurate.  He had an average RAS score, and he certainly wasn't a 7th round WR.  NFL Draft Buzz had him graded as the 98th best prospect, ESPN had him at 47, CBS Sports had him at 72, etc.  He's pretty much the exact opposite of Musgrave, and you're knocking them for that.

Tucker Kraft obviously has the LoC concerns, but he was productive and he tested well.  There's a natural gamble, but there's nothing to suggest he can't make that jump.

19 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

What does posting history have to do with fandom?

Cause if you base fandom on how often someone is in a certain team's subforum, that is hilarious.

Please don't look for me in the colts forum. That's just WS and the tumbleweeds. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ozzy said:

What the hell is wrong with the NFL, Darnell Washington falls to the 3rd round and 7 TEs are drafted ahead of this guy?  Yeah Steelers got a straight up steal and a monster blocker!  Since when is Washington not a great blocker?  They talked about him after he was picked as if he is some poor blocker, dude is a physical force and impacts the game greatly as a blocker and a big body weapon you cannot really cover.  No clue what Dallas is doing, Schoonmaker is ok but in no way is he better than Darnell Washington or Tucker Kraft for that matter.

Brett Kollmann said on his livestream that he was told Washington was failed medically by several teams and off of their boards.

5 minutes ago, cp0k2 said:

Brett Kollmann said on his livestream that he was told Washington was failed medically by several teams and off of their boards.

Sure but I wonder what was that exactly, why did he fail?   Dude have zero cartilage in his knee or what....

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

There's a legit knock on Musgrave for his health, but the notion that he can't play TE is wild.

I knew the minute he said Musgrave is just an "Athlete" and not a TE he didn't actually do any work on him. He took a look at his RAS and then assumed with freakish athletic traits and being drafted in the 2nd that must mean he is raw. That's not what I saw at all. Knock him for having subpar hands when blocking, knock him for his balance (Although I don't think this is a big issue), or knock him for injury year but he definitely isn't just a raw athlete. 

48 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Sure but I wonder what was that exactly, why did he fail?   Dude have zero cartilage in his knee or what....

My guess is some sort of condition that is going to cause chronic knee swelling and on a frame like his that could be really really bad. 

The Packers hit on almost every pick they made overall.  Later on Wooden, Wicks, Brooks, Valentine and Nichols were all very solid pickups and the two TEs could both be star TEs.  Kraft is easily probably the 2nd most all around TE in the draft, great blocker and pass catcher, only Washington I had as a better blocker than Kraft.  Dude could be a monster in the NFL and has a top of the line work ethic.  

They improved their DL, WR, TE and DB cores.  And Van Ness on the edge could be amazing, just look at what they got out of Gary, could do the exact same with Van Ness and if that does not work put him as a DE in the 3/4 and he will beat guys up there with his great bull rush.  And if Van Ness is not the 3/4 DE it could be Brooks who could be awesome in pass rush situations and if not him Wooden could as well.  Clearly they want to be a tough physical football team and this draft helped with that getting a lot of physical football players.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, General Tso said:

Moral of the story, you can find stats to suit your narrative.

I mean I think the Lions took some damn good players but it depends how much weight you put into positional premiums. People who weight that highly are probably going to hate there draft.

21 hours ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

It would seem that Robinson might have been a bit more of a fall guy than anticipated as this is a very similar draft. It seems like Vrabel greatly overvalues grit and toughness while underrating most everything else.

eh, whatever you think of the players they drafted, this year marked a pretty clear departure from robinson’s drafting in that every single player the titans drafted tested *extremely* well athletically. that’s something jon robinson generally undervalued.

2 hours ago, Spartacus said:

I knew the minute he said Musgrave is just an "Athlete" and not a TE he didn't actually do any work on him. He took a look at his RAS and then assumed with freakish athletic traits and being drafted in the 2nd that must mean he is raw. That's not what I saw at all. Knock him for having subpar hands when blocking, knock him for his balance (Although I don't think this is a big issue), or knock him for injury year but he definitely isn't just a raw athlete. 

The bold is a lie. 

Hes not a good route runner, he's not good getting YAC, and he's not a good blocker.

Hes a great athlete and has a ton of potential, but he's not a very good tight end yet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ragnarok said:

The bold is a lie. 

Hes not a good route runner, he's not good getting YAC, and he's not a good blocker.

Hes a great athlete and has a ton of potential, but he's not a very good tight end yet.

And he hits the deck almost every time he catches the ball or gets tackled by the first guy. For an “athlete” he didn’t show much YAC ability.

• Like 1