NFC North Rivals Discussion Thread

Ty21

3 hours ago, St Vince said:

Not here to bash Fields, think he has scary potential, but until I see him stand tall in the pocket and pick apart defenses he'll carry that one dimensional label.

I live in the Chicago market and watch a lot of Bears football. A lot of Fields wow plays are off schedule plays. You can't make a living doing that every Sunday, ask Cam Newton.

Love on the other hand in his limited playing time made plays on and off schedule. Love has arm talent he just needed the reps. I'm excited to see where both of these young QBs  paths take them. Both are in ideal situations to succeed. Fields has no excuses, he now has protection better weapons and even a better backfield.

Love on the other hand doesn't have the same amount of pressure. Like Rodgers in 2005 no one thought he was that great of a prospect coming out. If he falls It won't be a big shock. But Fields on the other hand for what you gave up to get him is a little different.

The Packers traded up for Love when they had Rodgers. There is pressure. Also, I have no idea how you can say nobody thought either he or Rodgers were great prospects as both went in the 1st round, but I'm starting to be not surprised by the bizarre statements you make. 

5 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

The Packers traded up for Love when they had Rodgers. There is pressure. Also, I have no idea how you can say nobody thought either he or Rodgers were great prospects as both went in the 1st round, but I'm starting to be not surprised by the bizarre statements you make. 

To this day Rodgers has been my favorite offensive prospect and only one defensiveplayer topped him. I was so pissed when the Bears drafted Benson over him and broke the remote when GB drafted him in the mid-20s. How Smith jumped him I'll never fully understand.

12 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

You serious bro?  About a dozen QB needy teams passed on Rodgers including the Bears. If Rodgers was such a hot prospect how does he get to the Packers at #24?

1 hour ago, Bigbear72 said:

Plenty here of him standing in the pocket and making plays. Because he has so many moments where he makes plays with his feet does not mean that he can only make plays with his feet. How many QBs would have been able to do so with the surrounding cast that Fields had last year?

Yes, those are impressive throws from the pocket. The problem is he can only do that when his first read is open. Most occasions if his first read is covered he takes off. If he gets that corrected he'll be a handful to deal with.

7 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Yes, those are impressive throws from the pocket. The problem is he can only do that when his first read is open. Most occasions if his first read is covered he takes off. If he gets that corrected he'll be a handful to deal with.

Now we're adding qualifiers? How often was the pocket breaking down after his first read and he had to improvise in order to make a play? Does he need to improve like almost every young QB does? Of course. But how many QBs coming into the league had a worse supporting cast than he did and were successful? Surely your list must be a mile long.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, St Vince said:

You serious bro?  About a dozen QB needy teams passed on Rodgers including the Bears. If Rodgers was such a hot prospect how does he get to the Packers at #24?

Hot prospect? Clearly he wasn't HOT since he fell but that didn't make him a bad prospect. He was taken at 24, bro, not 94. He was a 1st round QB prospect.

28 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

Now we're adding qualifiers? How often was the pocket breaking down after his first read and he had to improvise in order to make a play? Does he need to improve like almost every young QB does? Of course. But how many QBs coming into the league had a worse supporting cast than he did and were successful? Surely your list must be a mile long.

Love is right at the top of his list. He's awesome. He has Mahomes traits, BRO

23 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Hot prospect? Clearly he wasn't HOT since he fell but that didn't make him a bad prospect. He was taken at 24, bro, not 94. He was a 1st round QB prospect.

You used the word "great prospect"  I used the term hot. What's the difference? Great prospects or hot prospects are gone by pick 10. They don't last until the mid 20's.  Top 10 great prospect, mid 20's good prospect. QB needy teams don't pass on "great prospects.  Furthermore if professional college scouts and other pro talent evaluators can say Love has Mahomes traits why can't I say the same? But I understand, Bears fans get triggered by the name Mahomes.

Edited by St Vince

37 minutes ago, St Vince said:

You used the word "great prospect"  I used the term hot. What's the difference? Great prospects or hot prospects are gone by pick 10. They don't last until the mid 20's.  Top 10 great prospect, mid 20's good prospect. QB needy teams don't pass on "great prospects.  Furthermore if professional college scouts and other pro talent evaluators can say Love has Mahomes traits why can't I say the same? But I understand, Bears fans get triggered by the name Mahomes.

That isn't the case. Most draftniks had Rodgers as a great prospect. Some guys rise late in the prospect (hot prospect). Some guys fall because they don't do anything last minute that goes above what others expect (recency bias). Some evaluators say Fields' deep ball could be the best in football with proper weapons. Take that, Jordan Mahomes!

4 hours ago, St Vince said:

Angelo was a moron who still believed Grossman was the answer. I console myself because the Lions also passed on Rodgers and had Harringron for another year than Chicago had Grossman. And they still didn't realize he sucked.

Not much of a win but it's about as much as I can salvage from it.

The thing that sucks was a scout from GB wasn't even paying attention to Rodgers during the pro day and told Thompson he had a weaker arm. But Thompson checked around and heard otherwise so he took him. Rodgers was only a Packer because of Thompson having trust issues!! Lol

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

Rodgers was only a Packer because of Thompson having trust issues!! Lol

Some of that may be true but the main reason Rodgers was drafted was because the new GM Thompson wasn't going to cave to Favres demands like coach/GM Mike Sherman did. Favre kept threatening to retire if Thompson and McCarthy didn’t give him what he wanted. So when Rodgers was available it was an easy decision to take him to get away from the Favre drama.

4 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

That isn't the case. Most draftniks had Rodgers as a great prospect. Some guys rise late in the prospect (hot prospect). Some guys fall because they don't do anything last minute that goes above what others expect (recency bias). Some evaluators say Fields' deep ball could be the best in football with proper weapons. Take that, Jordan Mahomes!

I remember that he was a potential top 10 pick. The draftniks can say what they want but at the end of the day its what the GMs think about the player.

Most GMs are former scouts so they can evaluate talent better than the draft nerds and 23 GMs passed on Rodgers.

Love was a flawed boom or bust type prospect coming out. That's why he lasted so long. But he was drafted into a great situation where he didn't need to play right away. He got a chance to sit behind a Hof QB for 3 seasons and learn. Hopefully it works out the same way it worked for Rodgers.

Some of you guys are like offended parents who get mad because someone called their kid ugly.  I've gone on record saying that the Bears finally got it right at QB. If Fields improves as a passer he has a higher ceiling than Hurts and Mahomes.

1 hour ago, St Vince said:

I remember that he was a potential top 10 pick. The draftniks can say what they want but at the end of the day its what the GMs think about the player.

Most GMs are former scouts so they can evaluate talent better than the draft nerds and 23 GMs passed on Rodgers.

Love was a flawed boom or bust type prospect coming out. That's why he lasted so long. But he was drafted into a great situation where he didn't need to play right away. He got a chance to sit behind a Hof QB for 3 seasons and learn. Hopefully it works out the same way it worked for Rodgers.

Some of you guys are like offended parents who get mad because someone called their kid ugly.  I've gone on record saying that the Bears finally got it right at QB. If Fields improves as a passer he has a higher ceiling than Hurts and Mahomes.

We aren’t offended because you called our kid ugly, we are saying something back because you made a dumb definitive statement. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, St Vince said:

Furthermore if professional college scouts and other pro talent evaluators can say Love has Mahomes traits why can't I say the same? But I understand, Bears fans get triggered by the name Mahomes.

Chris Simms isn’t a professional college scout nor is he a pro talent evaluator. He’s a failed NFL QB who presently has a mass media role due to nepotism and a podcast because anyone can have one.

Proclamations and inferences that guys who’ve played in 1 game of consequence in 3 years (and struggled mightily in that game) are made of the same stuff as the guy on trajectory to be maybe the greatest player the game has ever seen are so far past absurd that they can’t even see absurd in the rearview mirror. You know it, and so do we. Also, you say Bears fans are triggered by the name Mahomes (which isn’t even true), but us making fun of a social media post showing off Jordan Love throwing a screen pass to an uncovered player in a camp drill like it was some kind of thing of importance got you to respond to posts about it for two days. That’s more than a little bit ironic. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, St Vince said:

Some of that may be true but the main reason Rodgers was drafted was because the new GM Thompson wasn't going to cave to Favres demands like coach/GM Mike Sherman did. Favre kept threatening to retire if Thompson and McCarthy didn’t give him what he wanted. So when Rodgers was available it was an easy decision to take him to get away from the Favre drama.

Oh I know, just playing around with a tongue in cheek comment with that part.

The GB brass was right to make the move, even if it was Smith and Rodgers being swapped it would have been the right move. The Favre drama lasted too long. Especially when 2 of his last 3 years in GB were pretty damn mediocre.

I look at it like Terrell Owens. Headaches came with him but elite play did too, so it was worth it. When the play regressed so did the franchises' patience with him. That's just business.