6.179 - Karl Brooks [DL; Bowling Green ]

Packerraymond

4 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Brooks had a miserable pro day, I had him in the top 64, then moved him somewhere in the 90s for it, so even I was to blame. He doesn't not play to that athletic profile at all, not sure other than he just didn't train for the drills why he was so bad. If he blew up the pro day, guy goes in round 2. I'd give Gute more props for the pick, but round 6 was too late for him, all 32 GM's effed up with him, Valentine, Zach Tom, we're just lucky Gute was the guy that eventually pulled the trigger. It's why I laugh when some people hold GM's to this standard that they have this almighty gift to evaluate football players. People in the public who played/coached/avidly watch/ the game and do this for a hobby know what makes a good player too. A lot of time nepotism is what separates them from us. Access the interviews and medicals obviously is the difference between their board and our film/athletic testing only board. 

Not to get too deep into how he plays, but I summarize Brooks like this.

Old man strength, young man's legs.

I dig him.

14 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Also, @CWood21 and @Packerraymond both know what they are talking about regarding the draft. I think one or both of them had him with a 3rd round grade in their drafting grades. Pretty impressive IMO. 

I think I had him around there.  The pass rush with that kid was glaringly obvious and he dominated his competition.  I'm not sure he's ever going to be a great run plug, but that's not his game and like @AlexGreen#20 said if that's all he offers then he's going to have a very successful career.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

https://youtu.be/mZUYgaejGb4?si=O31gm45__uZ4_Fd0

Throwback to when Kiper, McShay and Riddick all knew we just got a steal in the 6th round. 

8:50 mark.

Brooks feels special to me. Going to be a staple on the D Line for a while. 

Notice how Carrington Valentine was Mel’s #1 left on the board around that same time mark as well. 

4 minutes ago, BarnettOSU said:

Brooks feels special to me. Going to be a staple on the D Line for a while. 

Notice how Carrington Valentine was Mel’s #1 left on the board around that same time mark as well. 

Mel was real high on Valentine, he was number 1 for a real long time.

9 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Mel was real high on Valentine, he was number 1 for a real long time.

Yep, that video begins in the 5th round with the Rams’ steal of Puka Nauca and Valentine’s name is up as top prospect. Lot of late round success. If we have a draft with anything close to this many hits we will be deep all the way to the PS. 

Brooks has shown up throughout the season and not that smaller schools don’t now have pretty good S&C programs but he might really benefit from a jump with an offseason in pro facilities. 

18 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Yep, that video begins in the 5th round with the Rams’ steal of Puka Nauca and Valentine’s name is up as top prospect. Lot of late round success. If we have a draft with anything close to this many hits we will be deep all the way to the PS. 

Brooks has shown up throughout the season and not that smaller schools don’t now have pretty good S&C programs but he might really benefit from a jump with an offseason in pro facilities. 

That could be the case.  He is a big dude.  He is also doughy compared to Rashan Gary or LVN.  They may trim him down just a little bit for some quickness.  IIRC, he was kicking everybody's *** at the Senior Bowl.  Perhaps we just leave him as is?

2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

That could be the case.  He is a big dude.  He is also doughy compared to Rashan Gary or LVN.  They may trim him down just a little bit for some quickness.  IIRC, he was kicking everybody's *** at the Senior Bowl.  Perhaps we just leave him as is?

He’s not necessarily big for a DE but he doesn’t play small and usually gets good leverage with his hand/foot speed. I think they’ll try to get him to work on his anchor without bulking up too much and taking away his advantage of quickness. He kind of is the DL mirror image of Tom in the sense he might be slightly undersized but can make up for what he might lack in the power game by getting to his spot faster than the opponent. I’m excited to see where his ceiling is over the next few seasons. 

• Like 4