2018 Draft Prospects

blkwdw13

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Giants move out of two if: 

1) they only really like one of QBs and Cleveland takes their guy.

2) they trade to a team that gives them their 2019 one and gamble that their trade partner stinks enough it puts them back at top of draft in 2019.  

3) they get an offer so good they can’t refuse.  

Otherwise they have to think they likely won’t get another chance to draft at top of the draft and get a future QB without paying the kings ransom in picks. 

I say little chance they sit and take Barkley like so many are predicting.  

Except...

All the rumors we've been hearing in the last couple of days suggest they're gearing up for one more run with Eli, and their free agent moves pretty much align with that. I really think that out of their three choices, that's the worst one, but as of now, that's where the scuttlebutt is pointing...

Does anybody have a game off Edmunds where he was heavily used as a pass rusher? Most of the time I see him playing on the LOS he’s just in backside contain vs. the run and I’m a little confused as to why his pass rush ability has been so talked-up.

17 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

Does anybody have a game off Edmunds where he was heavily used as a pass rusher? Most of the time I see him playing on the LOS he’s just in backside contain vs. the run and I’m a little confused as to why his pass rush ability has been so talked-up.

It is mostly just because of his athleticism, size/speed/acceleration, arm length, CoD, etc. He wasn't used as a pass rusher much. Like Floyd at Gerogia his lastly year he has the physical gifts to be a pass rusher, but just hasn't been asked to do it much. 

2 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

I don't really get why people are looking at him as a pass rusher either...if you want a huge athlete to mold into a pass rusher then take Davenport...Edmunds is an off LB who can run, hit, cover and rush from ILB...he is the guy you want leading the team in tackles not sacks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I don't really get why people are looking at him as a pass rusher either...if you want a huge athlete to mold into a pass rusher then take Davenport...Edmunds is an off LB who can run, hit, cover and rush from ILB...he is the guy you want leading the team in tackles not sacks.

I think you take Edmunds because he can do everything. He is a player that can Ben deployed all over the field and in different matchups.

He would obviously rush some times, but his value would also be in covering athletic TEs and running the seam in zone.

I would play home at ILB and in nickel I would leave him,  Floyd, Hicks and Lynch on the field and they can guess who is coming from where.

There where some rumblings in the draft forums that both Roquan Smith and Lorenzo Carter failed medical checks... 

I wasn't looking as much at Roquan, but Carter was one of the more interesting guys for the second round. 

Edited by Epyon

41 minutes ago, Epyon said:

There where some rumblings in the draft forums that both Roquan Smith and Lorenzo Carter failed medical checks... 

I wasn't looking as much at Roquan, but Carter was one of the more interesting guys for the second round. 

I don’t think either got flagged and recalled to Indy so not sure I buy it.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

For me it really comes down to what option you prefer

1) Trumaine Edmunds

2) James Daniels

or

1) Quenton Nelson

2) Lorenzo Carter

I am fine with either, but 1 seems more realistic and a better value.

This is a really good way of looking at the draft. Where’s the value? Where are the strengths?

ILB and G/C are a really good combo consider between 8 and 39. There are a lot of good options at both spots, it’s just a matter of trying to project how the board will fall.

16 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Except...

All the rumors we've been hearing in the last couple of days suggest they're gearing up for one more run with Eli, and their free agent moves pretty much align with that. I really think that out of their three choices, that's the worst one, but as of now, that's where the scuttlebutt is pointing...

Rumors this time of year are mostly purposeful lies.  Plus you have keep Eli from quitting as you want him to be a 'bridge' for any young QB since that is the thing to do apparently.  Waste of time to me. Throw them out there and suck for a year I say and get a top pick. Learn by doing, not by watching. I digress.  

If you were Giants GM are you going to turn down a potential franchise QB or 3 number 1's and probably more for one RB, a merely above average pass rusher or a guard?  What's worth more to a team? 

You might consider it if a winning season in 2018 is only way to save your job, but it's dereliction of duty.  

I think taking Barkley might get them 8 or 9 more wins with Eli, but then Eli retires or simply cant effectively play anymore.  He may already be there.  Then what? 

Look what you could have had.  You dont want to he stuck at .500 over paying free agents every year to keep you at .500. 

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Rumors this time of year are mostly purposeful lies.  Plus you have keep Eli from quitting as you want him to be a 'bridge' for any young QB since that is the thing to do apparently.  Waste of time to me. Throw them out there and suck for a year I say and get a top pick. Learn by doing, not by watching. I digress.  

If you were Giants GM are you going to turn down a potential franchise QB or 3 number 1's and probably more for one RB, a merely above average pass rusher or a guard?  What's worth more to a team? 

You might consider it if a winning season in 2018 is only way to save your job, but it's dereliction of duty.  

I think taking Barkley might get them 8 or 9 more wins with Eli, but then Eli retires or simply cant effectively play anymore.  He may already be there.  Then what? 

Look what you could have had.  You dont want to he stuck at .500 over paying free agents every year to keep you at .500. 

Couldn't agree more why the hell would the Giants not draft a QB in a QB heavy draft with the second pick. 

18 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Except...

Maybe the Giants take a second-tier QB like Luke Falk.

10 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

Is there a place for Minkah on this team?

Nickel corner, depth, and if Fangio wants to get creative he can use him at LB and other spots on the field.