Larry Warford [Big Free Agent]

Max Unger [Big Trade]

Ben Grubbs [Big Free Agent]

Austen Peat [1st round]

Ryan Ramyck [1st round]

And have they won a Super Bowl since?

(this conversation is getting stupid) lol

6 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

That cannot be your entry criteria for selecting a prospect. 

It's not. This conversation has become so convoluted from the original point of mine: you don't draft offensive guards top 5 in the NFL draft, especially when you're a team like the 2017 Chicago Bears that has holes at skill positions.

All of a sudden I'm being told what the Patriots do doesn't count, and you can't look at what the Saints did when they won the Super Bowl because now they have bought free agents. It's just... sheer nonsense.

Edited by G08
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, G08 said:

It's not. This conversation has become so convoluted from the original point of mine: you don't draft offensive guards top 5 in the NFL draft, especially when you're a team like the 2017 Chicago Bears that has holes at skill positions.

All of a sudden I'm being told what the Patriots do doesn't count, and you can't look at what the Saints did when they won the Super Bowl because now they have bought free agents. It's just... sheer nonsense.

What do you think the media and fan reaction would be if Pace picks a guard in the top 10? 

If I'm looking for interior offensive linemen, find me SMART dudes that meet my height/weight/arm length measurements and then make sure they hit my athletic testing numbers. Once you find those dudes, just beat technique into their skulls and you're good to go. That doesn't require a top 5 pick.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blkwdw13 said:

I think he is some where in between them, but a lot better than Manziel because he isn't the head case that Manziel was/is.

watching Mayfield reminds me a lot of Manzel.  The body type is comparable  Mayfield 6'1 220 manzel 6'0 210 and entitled attitudes are the same.  Mayfield definitely has a better arm but I think they are very similar.  Mayfield gets drafted higher than he should be and busts.

7 minutes ago, Rogerthat said:

watching Mayfield reminds me a lot of Manzel.  The body type is comparable  Mayfield 6'1 220 manzel 6'0 210 and entitled attitudes are the same.  Mayfield definitely has a better arm but I think they are very similar.  Mayfield gets drafted higher than he should be and busts.

I disagree about the entitle attitude, Manziel never ever showed the remorse that Mayfield did after he was told he wasn't a captain or starting on senior day.  I think he gets way to competitive and emotional and it gets the best of him and then he makes a stupid mistake.

4 hours ago, G08 said:

If I'm looking for interior offensive linemen, find me SMART dudes that meet my height/weight/arm length measurements and then make sure they hit my athletic testing numbers. Once you find those dudes, just beat technique into their skulls and you're good to go. That doesn't require a top 5 pick.

Yeah, the only way I’m spending a top 10 pick on a OL is if I think he’s the next Joe Thomas or Tyron Smith. I LOVE Nelson as a prospect, but with where we are right now an OG is a luxury pick. We have two pro bowl caliber starters at the position and far bigger needs all over the field. 

3 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Yeah, the only way I’m spending a top 10 pick on a OL is if I think he’s the next Joe Thomas or Tyron Smith. I LOVE Nelson as a prospect, but with where we are right now an OG is a luxury pick. We have two pro bowl caliber starters at the position and far bigger needs all over the field. 

I agree that we have bigger needs

But neither of the Bears OGs are Pro Bowlers in their current state and I am not sure they will be there again in the future.

4 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I agree that we have bigger needs

But neither of the Bears OGs are Pro Bowlers in their current state and I am not sure they will be there again in the future.

PFF has Sitton as the #4 OG in all of football this year, and Long even with one arm on a mostly but probably not entirely recovered surgically repaired ankle with basically no offseason is their #28 OG. Again, typical PFF grain of salt, but both are still damn good players. But forget PFF. It’s plainly evident watching them play that they are both well above average players. Sitton is getting older but there has been no evident drop off in his play at all. With that being the case a guard in the top 10 is a luxury. Frankly if we can add a developmental center to potentially take the pivot from Whitehair, or if we think Kush can be that guy or if we see Morgan as the natural successor to Sitton then guard isn’t even a need. Then Nelson isn’t a luxury, he’s a wasted resource.

Pace has been KILLED for spending $18M guaranteed on Glennon since before the ink was even dry because of the wasted resources involved with the move. I can only imagine the beating he’d take if he used a top 10 pick on replacing a still highly performing player at arguably the deepest position on our roster in lieu of adding a top prospect at one of our many need positions. If he does that then Nelson would need to be Steve Hutchinson to justify it. That’s a pretty lofty bar to set. 

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

PFF has Sitton as the #4 OG in all of football this year, and Long even with one arm on a mostly but probably not entirely recovered surgically repaired ankle with basically no offseason is their #28 OG. Again, typical PFF grain of salt, but both are still damn good players. But forget PFF. It’s plainly evident watching them play that they are both well above average players. Sitton is getting older but there has been no evident drop off in his play at all. With that being the case a guard in the top 10 is a luxury. Frankly if we can add a developmental center to potentially take the pivot from Whitehair, or if we think Kush can be that guy or if we see Morgan as the natural successor to Sitton then guard isn’t even a need. Then Nelson isn’t a luxury, he’s a wasted resource.

Pace has been KILLED for spending $18M guaranteed on Glennon since before the ink was even dry because of the wasted resources involved with the move. I can only imagine the beating he’d take if he used a top 10 pick on replacing a still highly performing player at arguably the deepest position on our roster in lieu of adding a top prospect at one of our many need positions. If he does that then Nelson would need to be Steve Hutchinson to justify it. That’s a pretty lofty bar to set. 

He is that level of player.

I don't think it is wastinh a resource if the player is good.

But I agree it is a luxury and would really be a BPA move.

18 hours ago, G08 said:

Here's my take- I don't see us picking top 5 more like 8-10. If that is the case I would advocate OG or OL because our OL play overall has been up and down. We dominate one team and then we suck again against another. We have zero consistency which will effect Mitch next year. Elite OL play can make average QBs good (see Rich Gannon) and good QBs great. 

I want to give Mitch the best opportunity for success and if Minkah Fitzpatrick turns into Landon Collins so be it.