2018 Draft Prospects

blkwdw13

5 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Has he ever done that? Because IMO, he has not. Pace has done a good job of taking guys who have a good mix of high ceiling but relatively high floors. Aside from White, no one that he’s taken in round 1 has been a bust. Even if Floyd is never a 12 sack/year guy, he still has tons of value with 7-8/year + the ability to drop in coverage seamlessly.

If Leonard Floyd isn’t a double-digit sack guy then he’s a role player. That’s pathetic because he was the 9th overall pick. This entire roster is packed full of role players. Teams that draft role players and not difference-makers in the top ten perpetually will end up drafting in the top ten.

I want to see a pick at #8 who’s seriously going to compete for OROY or DROY and be a star at his position for a decade, not “well he’s not a star at his position but he’s so versatile and maybe he can be an average starter in three years!” 

2 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

If Leonard Floyd isn’t a double-digit sack guy then he’s a role player. That’s pathetic because he was the 9th overall pick. This entire roster is packed full of role players. Teams that draft role players and not difference-makers in the top ten perpetually will end up drafting in the top ten.

I want to see a pick at #8 who’s seriously going to compete for OROY or DROY and be a star at his position for a decade, not “well he’s not a star at his position but he’s so versatile and maybe he can be an average starter in three years!” 

You mean every year or occasionally?

Ansah has only hit 10 sacks 2 out of his 5 years, Griffen has 3 out of 8, Cam Jordan has 3 out of 7, etc. I mean, we all want to have our own Miller, Watt, or Mack, but there was one passrusher who was dominant in that draft class and he went 3rd overall ( I don't believe Yannick can continue last year's performance). Unlike Miller and a lot of others, Fangio pulls Floyd into coverage pretty regularly. IDC if that is 10 times a game, over the course of a season that is a hell of a lot of opportunities he missed out on to hit double digits.

If he was able to just pin his ears back constantly then hell yeah, I'd be more into sack totals. But Floyd does make a lot of impact when rushing the passer when given the opportunity. He generated a fair bit of pressure with little help getting to the QB.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

Highly disagree with this.

Just because you aren't getting double digit sacks every year, it does not mean you are not making a big impact as a pass rusher and that you are just a role player.

I think this is a typical case of people letting stats and numbers be the gauge of a player's success.  Just as a WR or RB is expected to eclipse 1000 yards every year in order for them to be deemed "elite" at their position. I think that's a bunch of hogwash.

Lloyd makes an impact more so than people think.  It's his inability to stay consistently healthy that's been more of a concern than his talent or anything else.

Edited by topwop1

10 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

Im sorry but thats a very myopic view.  Floyd impacted virtually every play he was on the field for last year.  Its not a coincidence that a guy who was only considered a solid football player and more of a run stuffer has turned into one of the best 5 techs in the NFL.  Nobody has benefited more from the presence of Floyd than Hicks who when Floyd was on the field saw almost exclusively single blocks bc teams were dedicating their protection to Floyd who was just stupid at beating the first and even sometimes the 2nd block.  I cant remember which game it was but there was a game this year where the te was rubbing Floyd, then blocked by the ot, then chipped by the rb after he beat the ot.  Meanwhile Hicks was just beating up on the og and getting home.  Look at the difference in what we saw from Hicks after Floyd was gone.  Then all of a sudden hes seeing the double team and you had McPhee and Houston start picking up the sacks.  

5 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Im sorry but thats a very myopic view.  Floyd impacted virtually every play he was on the field for last year.  Its not a coincidence that a guy who was only considered a solid football player and more of a run stuffer has turned into one of the best 5 techs in the NFL.  Nobody has benefited more from the presence of Floyd than Hicks who when Floyd was on the field saw almost exclusively single blocks bc teams were dedicating their protection to Floyd who was just stupid at beating the first and even sometimes the 2nd block.  I cant remember which game it was but there was a game this year where the te was rubbing Floyd, then blocked by the ot, then chipped by the rb after he beat the ot.  Meanwhile Hicks was just beating up on the og and getting home.  Look at the difference in what we saw from Hicks after Floyd was gone.  Then all of a sudden hes seeing the double team and you had McPhee and Houston start picking up the sacks.  

I think teams are gameplanning for Hicks, not Floyd. Hicks is the bigger concern. That’s not to say Floyd can’t be a beneficiary, but I can’t picture opposing teams saying, “we’ve got to shut down Floyd this week.”

That that brings me back to my point: draft a guy teams are going to worry about in the meeting room in 2018 versus a guy teams are going to worry about in 2020 or 2021, if ever.

Teams aren’t going to worry about Davenport or Edmunds this year because those guys don’t know what they’re doing.

3 Scenarios I see playing out

1. Bears draft OLB in the 1st round

-I think this opens them up to go offense [WR or OG] in the 2nd round.

2. Bears draft a none OLB defender 

-I think they need to look hard at OLB in the 2nd round, because the talent falls off a cliff at that point.

3. Bears draft Nelson

-I think OLB in the 2nd round becomes a very obvious pick as the one screaming need on offense will be filled.

4 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

I think teams are gameplanning for Hicks, not Floyd. Hicks is the bigger concern. That’s not to say Floyd can’t be a beneficiary, but I can’t picture opposing teams saying, “we’ve got to shut down Floyd this week.”

That that brings me back to my point: draft a guy teams are going to worry about in the meeting room in 2018 versus a guy teams are going to worry about in 2020 or 2021, if ever.

Teams aren’t going to worry about Davenport or Edmunds this year because those guys don’t know what they’re doing.

You may think that but thats not what the tape shows.  Teams were clearly directing their protection schemes at Floyd when he was on the field.  Just loom at Minny for an example.  They were perfectly content to leave Remmers on an island with Hicks even tho he was taking Remmers lunch money repeatedly.  Teams were definitely game planning for Floyd.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

You may think that but thats not what the tape shows.  Teams were clearly directing their protection schemes at Floyd when he was on the field.  Just loom at Minny for an example.  They were perfectly content to leave Remmers on an island with Hicks even tho he was taking Remmers lunch money repeatedly.  Teams were definitely game planning for Floyd.

Agreed.  The tape shows teams constantly game planning to take Floyd out of the game which leaves other players like Hicks with one on one match ups.

Hicks is a very good player but he is benefiting more from teams focusing on Floyd rather than the other way around.  

21 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

Trust me, I get it. I was talking with my brother the other day, and we were discussing "aside from QB, which position do you wish the Bears had a total badA" and the obvious answer is pass rusher. Someone like Miller, Mack, Watt. Unfortunately, I'm not sure Floyd will get there anyway, but he sure as hell as no shot if, as other posters have pointed out, he has no one else to take the attention off of him.

• There will be some trades in this draft that might seem one-sided. Several team officials told me in the past few days that they value Day 2 picks (rounds two and three) so highly that they’d be willing to take slightly less in compensation to move down. Where could this come into play? Cleveland (four), Indianapolis (six), Baltimore (16), Seattle (18), New England (23, 31), New Orleans (27), Philadelphia (32). “This is not your typical draft,” said one veteran club official Sunday. “The second, third and even fourth rounds are gold. You can take less than the trade-value chart says and still make a very good trade if you get multiple picks in those rounds.”

Peter King