2018 Draft Prospects

blkwdw13

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

Disagree that they are all the same.

Some players are more risky than others. Outcome bias can be applied on either side. No one on this board would take Davenport over Chubb, because one is far more risky that the other as we stand here today.

Yeah, there is absolutely no way that it could be said that Robert Nkemdiche had the same amount of risk as a guy like Nelson.  

Just now, WindyCity said:

Disagree that they are all the same.

Some players are more risky than others. Outcome bias can be applied on either side. No one on this board would take Davenport over Chubb, because one is far more risky that the other as we stand here today.

I'm trying to find guys who have an equal shot to succeed. For me, Chubb is the better PROSPECT, so that's why he's going to go over Davenport. He's not as raw and he didn't crush major competition, but I would absolutely take a chance on Davenport's potential than Nelson's "safety." Again, it's just me.

• Like 1

Another thing to consider is the contracts guards are getting in the FA market right now. A position that generally was not being paid big time is now being paid quite well. There is a big supply issue with quality OLs in the league right now. Should that factor in to Nelson at 8?

• Like 1

Just now, beardown3231 said:

Nkemdiche almost fell to the second round. I'm talking top 10 prospects.

I still don't agree that anyone who is a top 10 prospect has the same levels of risk.  From this draft, there is clearly a different level of risk between Darnold/Rosen and Josh Allen.

Just now, Nads786 said:

Another thing to consider is the contracts guards are getting in the FA market right now. A position that generally was not being paid big time is now being paid quite well. There is a big supply issue with quality OLs in the league right now. Should that factor in to Nelson at 8?

There is a massive shortage of quality OLmen in the league.

Just now, WindyCity said:

If they are going into the draft feeling that way then if they pass on OLB at 8 they almost have to come back to it at 39.

Exactly, but who are the dudes that you can plug in and go at 39?

I'd "reach" for Kemoko Turay but that's just foolish.

Landry could be another Von Miller/Khalil Mack

Davenport could be another Aldon Smith.

How do you pass on that? Adding legit juice on the EDGE makes your entire defense better. You can watch Amukamara put up a career season in INTs because he's pretty damned sticky and Fuller loves having his eyes on the QB when he can in coverage. It's freaking GOLD and God damnit I ******* want it.

2 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I'm trying to find guys who have an equal shot to succeed. For me, Chubb is the better PROSPECT, so that's why he's going to go over Davenport. He's not as raw and he didn't crush major competition, but I would absolutely take a chance on Davenport's potential than Nelson's "safety." Again, it's just me.

That is an excellent way to get fired.

3 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

Yes and no. For our Bears? No way, I'd keep telling Hiestand to find dudes he loves and let him develop them.

Just now, G08 said:

Exactly, but who are the dudes that you can plug in and go at 39?

I'd "reach" for Kemoko Turay but that's just foolish.

Landry could be another Von Miller/Khalil Mack

Davenport could be another Aldon Smith.

How do you pass on that? Adding legit juice on the EDGE makes your entire defense better. You can watch Amukamara put up a career season in INTs because he's pretty damned sticky and Fuller loves having his eyes on the QB when he can in coverage. It's freaking GOLD and God damnit I ******* want it.

The "could be" has been said about every mediocre pass rusher in the league right now. This board was convinced that Robert Nkemdiche could be another Fletcher Cox.

At 39

Hubbard

Carter

Key

Sweat

My main issue is I do not think that there will be a edge defender that has the same value as other defenders that will be available.

I think that Roquan, Derwin and Denzel are all better prospects than the pass rushers not named Chubb.

Right now the cluster I think we are going to be staring out as the "best value"

Roquan Smith

Derwin James

Denzel Ward

Minkah Fitzpatrick

The real issue is that none of those guys addresses the Bears 3 biggest needs [OLB, OG, WR] and they are in my opinion superior to anyone not named Chubb or Nelson that do address those needs.

18 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

I still don't agree that anyone who is a top 10 prospect has the same levels of risk.  From this draft, there is clearly a different level of risk between Darnold/Rosen and Josh Allen.

You guys are talking about football ability. Yes, Rosen is a far better QB now than Allen, but Rosen also has injury concerns and issues about his ability to take to coaching. Allen might be too inaccurate. In all, every guy is risky for a myriad of issues, and even when guys seem to be sure things (Gallery, Warmack, even someone like Aaron Curry), they aren't.

12 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

My main issue is I do not think that there will be a edge defender that has the same value as other defenders that will be available.

I think that Roquan, Derwin and Denzel are all better prospects than the pass rushers not named Chubb.

I agree. I'd rather have all 3 than Nelson.