2018 Draft Prospects

blkwdw13

15 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Is Fangio not on the same level as a coach as Heistand?

I would think so, but it's much harder to find/develop pass rushers than interior offensive linemen.

16 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The "could be" has been said about every mediocre pass rusher in the league right now. This board was convinced that Robert Nkemdiche could be another Fletcher Cox.

At 39

Hubbard

Carter

Key

Sweat

And every board was convinced that Chance Warmack was going to walk onto the stage on draft night in his HOF jacket already. It goes every which way for every position.

12 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Just do not be surprised.

Pace has bought the fancy house [Trubisky], done a ton of expensive remodels [Nagy], do not be surprised if he gets the best insurance and alarm system [Nelson] that he can get.

I'll be surprised at nothing. That's why Thursday is going to be awesome.

Just now, beardown3231 said:

And every board was convinced that Chance Warmack was going to walk onto the stage on draft night in his HOF jacket already. It goes every which way for every position.

Historically bad draft.

The number of toolsy pass rushers that bust is far more than the number of hyped interior OLmen. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

Based on the state of OL play in the league I am not sure that the sentiment holds up anymore.

Give me a mold of clay that has the size/strength/length/temperament and I bet you Hiestand can make him viable. You can find those players anywhere in the draft; OGs don't move the needle of a football team, they don't change games in the 4th quarter, etc.

1 minute ago, G08 said:

Give me a mold of clay that has the size/strength/length/temperament and I bet you Hiestand can make him viable. You can find those players anywhere in the draft; OGs don't move the needle of a football team, they don't change games in the 4th quarter, etc.

They keep your QB standing, which is essential to 4th quarter success.

Aaron Donald and Fletcher Cox move the needle and who blocks them? I am not saying we have to take Nelson, but to pass on him to take a wild swing at OLB seems like a mistake and more risk than is necessary.

Give me a mold of clay that has the size/strength/length/temperament and I bet you Fangio can make him viable. 

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

They keep your QB standing, which is essential to 4th quarter success.

Aaron Donald and Fletcher Cox move the needle and who blocks them? I am not saying we have to take Nelson, but to pass on him to take a wild swing at OLB seems like a mistake and more risk than is necessary.

Give me a mold of clay that has the size/strength/length/temperament and I bet you Fangio can make him viable. 

Meh. I'm not going to argue with a former offensive lineman about how I de-value interior offensive linemen ;)

26 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

That is an excellent way to get fired.

Correct. If you miss on draft picks consistently, you get fired. It doesn't mean I'm going to take the safest player every time. He didn't do it with White, Trubisky or Floyd and I doubt he starts in 2018 with Nelson. If the draft was about safety, Fitzpatrick, Barkley, Nelson and Price would be the top 4 picks.

For the record, all of this is probably moot. Unless there's a boat load of deals, Nelson is either going 4, 5, 6 or 7. All four of those teams need OL.

3 minutes ago, G08 said:

Meh. I'm not going to argue with a former offensive lineman about how I de-value interior offensive linemen ;)

I just do not think that OLB is going to be what provides value at 8.

I think there will be a list of defenders that are going to be much better prospects than Davenport/Landry. I am not sure I am super comfortable with a wild swing on upside and what could be.

This is a big draft for Pace. He now has more chips in the pot [Trubisky, Nagy] then he did when he had a lame duck coach and a QB everyone hated.

4 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Correct. If you miss on draft picks consistently, you get fired. It doesn't mean I'm going to take the safest player every time. He didn't do it with White, Trubisky or Floyd and I doubt he starts in 2018 with Nelson. If the draft was about safety, Fitzpatrick, Barkley, Nelson and Price would be the top 4 picks.

For the record, all of this is probably moot. Unless there's a boat load of deals, Nelson is either going 4, 5, 6 or 7. All four of those teams need OL.

Assuming unneccassery risk is how you miss.

You can hit a HR on a curveball away, but you are more likely going to swing and miss, if I swing at a fastball down the middle I have a much better chance of hitting a HR or at least a double.

Take smart risks.

Dan Pompeii, in his latest piece, is yet another reporter connected to some scouts/former GMs/NFL personnel people and Roquan Smith is being pimped heavily. I'm hearing Ray Lewis comps all over the place.

Won't shock me if this is the move.

Is ILB a value at 8?

Just now, G08 said:

Dan Pompeii, in his latest piece, is yet another reporter connected to some scouts/former GMs/NFL personnel people and Roquan Smith is being pimped heavily. I'm hearing Ray Lewis comps all over the place.

Won't shock me if this is the move.

Is ILB a value at 8?

I think ILB is nearly as easily filled later in the draft as guard, but at a position of lower need.