2018 Draft Prospects

blkwdw13

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

The Bears have been bad for so long that we get lulled into not worrying about having star players and instead are okay with solid players. At some point we are going to replace solid players with guys who make a difference.

If you draft Ward he would essentially replace Bryce Callahan, who is a very solid and highly graded slot CB.

If you draft Roquan, you are replacing Nick K who has looked solid when he has played.

If you draft Davenport or Edmunds you are replacing Aaron Lynch who has every physical tool you look for and produced when he started in SF.

No matter what we are going to be sending a solid young player to the bench in the hope that the 8th pick is an actual difference maker.

I'm not lulled into anything.  I think this is a team that still has a lot of work to do.  Why spend that pick at 8 for an ILB that is worth the pick but not a positional need (in my opinion, at all, I think Kwiat can turn into something better than just solid, but thats me), when you can move to 12, or 15 or somewhere in that range, pick up a few more picks, and pick up a good value on a DE, or an OLB, or something where the player CAN develop into something good, AND be at a position that isn't already relatively solid.  Of course i"m taking Nelson at 8 like I've said, because he's a great talent, but if he's not there, we have holes at OL, DE, OLB, and WR, and could use more at CB and other areas.  All of those I think are more important than upgrading an already pretty good ILB.  If none of those guys you like enough are there, move down and get a chance to fill those and look to upgrade the JAGs when you have the luxury to upgrade them.

2 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

I'm not lulled into anything.  I think this is a team that still has a lot of work to do.  Why spend that pick at 8 for an ILB that is worth the pick but not a positional need (in my opinion, at all, I think Kwiat can turn into something better than just solid, but thats me), when you can move to 12, or 15 or somewhere in that range, pick up a few more picks, and pick up a good value on a DE, or an OLB, or something where the player CAN develop into something good, AND be at a position that isn't already relatively solid.  Of course i"m taking Nelson at 8 like I've said, because he's a great talent, but if he's not there, we have holes at OL, DE, OLB, and WR, and could use more at CB and other areas.  All of those I think are more important than upgrading an already pretty good ILB.  If none of those guys you like enough are there, move down and get a chance to fill those and look to upgrade the JAGs when you have the luxury to upgrade them.

Too much about positions and not players.

The Bears need to take the best player at 8. I agree that it could be Nelson and it could be Roquan. They simply need to add a difference maker somewhere on the team.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The Bears have been bad for so long that we get lulled into not worrying about having star players and instead are okay with solid players. At some point we are going to replace solid players with guys who make a difference.

If you draft Ward he would essentially replace Bryce Callahan, who is a very solid and highly graded slot CB.

If you draft Roquan, you are replacing Nick K who has looked solid when he has played.

If you draft Davenport or Edmunds you are replacing Aaron Lynch who has every physical tool you look for and produced when he started in SF.

No matter what we are going to be sending a solid young player to the bench in the hope that the 8th pick is an actual difference maker.

Also to expand further, disagree about Lynch.  He had a good rookie season under Fangio, then has been a disappointment ever since.  He's a depth guy at best.  As for Callahan, he's also only a NB in my eyes, and we've seen the injury history of Fuller and Amukamara (who is more of a JAG than Kwit in my eyes).  

Pace said they've identified 8 players they like at pick #8 and that he would like to get his 3rd round pick back.

Assuming 4 QBs go ahead of us, that means we can move down to number 12 and get one of those 8 players.

The cost to move up from 12 to 8 is a third round pick.

#connectthedots

Just now, G08 said:

Pace said they've identified 8 players they like at pick #8 and that he would like to get his 3rd round pick back.

Assuming 4 QBs go ahead of us, that means we can move down to number 12 and get one of those 8 players.

#connectthedots

He also said that if they trade down they will not get the guys they want.

1. Chubb

2. Nelson

3. Barkley

4. Roquan Smith

5. Denzel Ward

6. Derwin James

7. Trumaine Edmunds

8. Minkah or Davenport

My best guess.

2 minutes ago, G08 said:

#connectthedots

If it is for a QB we are gouging them for more than that.

2 minutes ago, G08 said:

#connectthedots

That requires a will from another team to move up, and if 4 QB's go ahead of us, are the Bills really going to want to move up?

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

He also said that if they trade down they will not get the guys they want.

1. Chubb

2. Nelson

3. Barkley

4. Roquan Smith

5. Denzel Ward

6. Derwin James

7. Trumaine Edmunds

8. Minkah or Davenport

My best guess.

That's inaccurate, he said if they trade down he doesn't think they will be able to land TWO of the top 8 players they have identified.

1 minute ago, TankWilliams said:

That requires a will from another team to move up, and if 4 QB's go ahead of us, are the Bills really going to want to move up?

Depends on who falls... I think Darnold goes 1 and Mayfield goes 3. Josh Allen/Josh Rosen could fall.

14 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The consensus of National people is that if Nelson is there at 8 he will be a Bear

Yeah, he's the pick at 8 on every mock draft. Tell me something I don't know, Gabriel.

1 minute ago, G08 said:

That's inaccurate, he said if they trade down he doesn't think they will be able to land TWO of the top 8 players they have identified.

But by staying at 8, they will land 2 of the top 8? I'm confused.

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

The hype is justified.

The expectations are what you want to set them at. But if you are taking an OG at 8 he needs to be a dominant player. I am not concerned about perceived failure.

I think the argument is what if the percentages are more 70% and 10%?

The problem with the Ridley scenario is that he is a horrible value at 8, Nelson might be the best player in the draft. I would pick defense, but it would not shock me if Pace decided to invest in a dominant OL and try and maximize what he has invested in Trubisky and Nagy.

He can do both. Investment in a dominant OL does not have to be Nelson. It just doesn’t. This has been proven over and over and over and over. 

7 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

He can do both. Investment in a dominant OL does not have to be Nelson. It just doesn’t. This has been proven over and over and over and over. 

Last year's Pro Bowl guards:

Incognito- round 3

DeCastro- round 1

Osemele- round 2

Martin- round 1

Brooks- round 3

TJ Lang- round 4

Scherff- round 1

Turner- round 3

Warford- round 3

Highest paid G in football- UDFA