2018 Draft Prospects

blkwdw13

His size was covered in the Voch Lombardi vid.

Player A:   6ft 3inch Height, 32 1/2 arm length, 246lbs, 9 1/4 inch hands

Player B:   6ft 3in  height,  32  7/8 arm length, 252lbs, 9 3/8in hands  

Player C:    6ft 3inch Height, 33 3/4inch arm, 251lbs, 11inch hands 

Player D: 6ft 3inch Height, 32 1/2 arms, 246lbs, 9 3/8in hands

That's Von Miller, Harold Landry, Demarcus Lawrence, and Vic Beasley.... He's big enough.

Edited by Epyon

2 minutes ago, Epyon said:

His size was covered in the Voch Lombardi vid.

Player A:   6ft 3inch Height, 32 1/2 arm length, 246lbs, 9 1/4 inch hands

Player B:   6ft 3in  height,  32  7/8 arm length, 252lbs, 9 3/8in hands  

Player C:    6ft 3inch Height, 33 3/4inch arm, 251lbs, 11inch hands 

Player D: 6ft 3inch Height, 32 1/2 arms, 246lbs, 9 3/8in hands

That's Von Miller, Harold Landry, Demarcus Lawrence, and Vic Beasley.

By comparison to Leonard Floyd’s combine, Landry's arms are 1/4” shorter (negligible), he weighs 8 lb more in spite of being 2 5/8” shorter, and his 40 was 0.04 seconds slower. The height aside (and Landry isn’t short for the position) they measure out really closely, with Landry already having more bulk to his frame (one of the biggest knocks on Floyd coming out). 

8 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

This forum in 2015: obsessed with Vic Beasley, not at all concerned that he was playing at like 220.

This forum in 2016: Man Leonard Floyd really needs to put on weight.

This is so true. I like Landry’s potential as a pass rusher but there’s some qualities in his game that scare the living - out of me. Lack of physicality in a pass rusher is one of the worst deficiencies to have. He disappears from games, and how he handled his injury woes is also a major concern.

I’m extremely confident though that if it comes down to an EDGE at 8, Pace would take Davenport over Landry 100 out of 100 times. 

22 minutes ago, pigsooie5 said:

Lack of physicality in a pass rusher is one of the worst deficiencies to have. He disappears from games, and how he handled his injury woes is also a major concern.

Could you expand on the lack of physicality thing? I haven’t seen that specifically, and think there’s a difference between lack of physicality and trying to murder the QB on contact. Also what do you mean by “how he handled his injury woes”? 

I like Davenport quite a bit too and wouldn’t be upset if he’s the pick either. 

28 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Could you expand on the lack of physicality thing? I haven’t seen that specifically, and think there’s a difference between lack of physicality and trying to murder the QB on contact. Also what do you mean by “how he handled his injury woes”? 

I like Davenport quite a bit too and wouldn’t be upset if he’s the pick either. 

The problem is with Landry he looks very similar to Floyd as a pass rusher. Would think the Bears need some one bigger to play on the opposite side.

56 minutes ago, pigsooie5 said:

This is so true. I like Landry’s potential as a pass rusher but there’s some qualities in his game that scare the living - out of me. Lack of physicality in a pass rusher is one of the worst deficiencies to have. He disappears from games, and how he handled his injury woes is also a major concern.

I’m extremely confident though that if it comes down to an EDGE at 8, Pace would take Davenport over Landry 100 out of 100 times. 

I agree with this as a pass rusher can beat college OT's with just speed but in the NFL they have to beat them with both speed and power. NFL OT's have really quick feet. This is why Shea failed as a pass rusher.

If we bash him for playing through injury then we should bash Kyle Long too. I personally like that Landry put his team first even though it hurt his own stock.

IDK how anyone says he isn't physical as a passrusher either. He has solid hands and rips OTs, just because he chooses to use speed rushes frequently is because he clearly has the athletic advantage, just as Beasley did. In 2016 he showed he can use strong hands and get the OT off balance. Davenport played inferior OTs and still produced less over the last two years. I get that he is the taller prospect and is on the upswing, but people are discounting Landry too quickly IMO.

12 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

This forum in 2015: obsessed with Vic Beasley, not at all concerned that he was playing at like 220.

This forum in 2016: Man Leonard Floyd really needs to put on weight.

Speaking of draft hypocrisy...

2017: These QBs are morons for coming out as juniors. Few juniors succeed in the league and generally seniors are better prepared.

2018: Sam Darnold should be the #1 pick (zero mentions all draft season that he’s coming out as a sophomore)

If we look at Combine vertical jump as a potential measure of explosion, in inches:

Vic Beasley: 41

Khalil Mack: 40

Leonard Floyd: 39.5

Von Miller: 37

JJ Watt: 37

Chubb : 36

Landry: 36

Chandler Jones: 35

Hubbard: 35

Davenport: 33.5

Cliff Avril: 32.5

Joey Bosa: 32

Key: 31

I think these numbers are very open to interpretation. Beasley had a very high number because he was explosive, but his technique was less refined. He was relying on pure athleticism to win. Bosa was not an explosive force off the edge, but he was also a total technician.

This concerns me with Davenport, because his vertical is low, his 3-cone decent, his hips aren’t the best, and his technique needs work.

Chubb has a low 3-cone, but his vertical is good, his hips are fluid, and his technique is also pretty good.

Landry falls under much of the same as Chubb except I think he relies on his athleticism a little more, and the injury will knock him down a peg.

Hubbard and Key aren’t guys that I have watched, so I don’t want to comment on them.

Edited by IronMike84

29 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

Speaking of draft hypocrisy...

2017: These QBs are morons for coming out as juniors. Few juniors succeed in the league and generally seniors are better prepared.

2018: Sam Darnold should be the #1 pick (zero mentions all draft season that he’s coming out as a sophomore)

I was a much bigger fan of last year's class even last year. We are also seeing a lot of people flipping their positions on QBs though. Most were talking about how superior this class's group looked, but said I would take any of Tru, Watson, or Mahomes or Allen, Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield. I still stand by that.

Might look stupid in a few years, but I had Kizer graded out evenly with where I have Allen today. Just not overly impressed with him.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I was a much bigger fan of last year's class even last year. We are also seeing a lot of people flipping their positions on QBs though. Most were talking about how superior this class's group looked, but said I would take any of Tru, Watson, or Mahomes or Allen, Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield. I still stand by that.

Might look stupid in a few years, but I had Kizer graded out evenly with where I have Allen today. Just not overly impressed with him.

draftjoshallen.com

Lorenzo Carter: scouting report reads eerily similar to Leonard Floyd. They look very similar playing, though Floyd plays with just a little more "twitch."

Sam Hubbard: just watched one game of his. Very hard worker. Looks like he can be a productive pass rusher in this league. ZERO twitch to his game. For that reason, I don't think Pace will gravitate towards him.

Edited by IronMike84