2018 Draft Prospects

blkwdw13

I mean, all of these guys have "ifs"

If Marcus Davenport can hang with the NFL level of competition. If Tremaine Edmunds' instincts improve. If Harold Landry can play like he did in 2016. If Quenton Nelson is impactful enough to be worth the pick. If Roquan Smith isn't too small. It just depends on which of those ifs won't be a factor.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Davenport scares me because of the “if”. He was bad early at the Senior Bowl and good in the game. He was good at a low keel of competition, but hardly dominant.

I understand if he is the pick, but personally I probably take Landry. I think at worse Landry will be a 8 sack a year starter like a Willie Young. I think Landry’s first 3 steps are elite so there is upside there.

I think Davenport could be a difference maker and I would not be shocked if the Bears value him more.

If you're scared, get a dog Windy ;)

All kidding aside, each of these dudes has warts. From a purely physical standpoint, Marcus Davenport does things that a man his size simply shouldn't be able to do. Comparing him to Aldon Smith:

Davenport was 1.5" taller
Davenport was faster in the 10/20/40 yard splits (0.06/0.12/0.24)
Davenport had 2 reps of 225 lbs stronger
Smith had ~0.5" higher of a vertical
Davenport had 6" longer broad jump
Davenport had 0.09 second faster short shuttle
Smith had a 0.01 second faster 3-cone
Smith had 1.75" longer arms

He's got a ways to go, especially with technique, but I think in 2 years he'll be a 270 lbs terror coming off the edge. He physically compares to Clowney, which is a hard find.

Landry is fun, but he has the dreaded "less than 33 inch arms" stigma attached to him (perhaps overblown) and he's really a one trick pony at this point (however, that one trick is an elite bend). I don't like him as a 3 down player, but in purely pass-rushing situations I think he can be a 6-8 sack guy in year 1.

13 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

Some of you guys are acting like it's just so easy with Harold Landry, like he's definitely going to be back to 2016 form, throw out the 2017 tape and who cares.

It's two-fold... he hurt his ankle and lost his elite burst/bend, which pretty much made him a non-factor until he started to figure out how to use his hands better and try different pass rush approaches.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

Some of you guys are acting like it's just so easy with Harold Landry, like he's definitely going to be back to 2016 form, throw out the 2017 tape and who cares.

2017 is definitely there and it’s part of the equation. The 2017 tape is really the only reason we aren’t having “if he’s there” conversations about Landry because the 2016 tape was elite. His 2017 tape was not bad though - it just wasn’t 2016. I think the other side of the coin from what you mention is that re: Landry’s 2017 ankle injury many are treating it like “just an ankle.” It must’ve been pretty severe seeing as how it kept him out of 5 games plus the entirety of Senior Bowl week. That’s a legit reason for a big statistical drop off in 2017 IMO, and less concerning to me personally than that an absolute man among boys physically in Davenport wasn’t more dominant at UTSA. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

2017 is definitely there and it’s part of the equation. The 2017 tape is really the only reason we aren’t having “if he’s there” conversations about Landry because the 2016 tape was elite. His 2017 tape was not bad though - it just wasn’t 2016. I think the other side of the coin from what you mention is that re: Landry’s 2017 ankle injury many are treating it like “just an ankle.” It must’ve been pretty severe seeing as how it kept him out of 5 games plus the entirety of Senior Bowl week. That’s a legit reason for a big statistical drop off in 2017 IMO, and less concerning to me personally than that an absolute man among boys physically in Davenport wasn’t more dominant at UTSA. 

The one thing I can say with full confidence though is whether our guy is Davenport or Landry (or any other edge prospect) we have the right people in place to max out their development. We weren’t able to say that for a long time. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

The one thing I can say with full confidence though is whether our guy is Davenport or Landry (or any other edge prospect) we have the right people in place to max out their development. We weren’t able to say that for a long time. 

That is one reason I would be fine with Jackson and Ward. Having Donatell  locked in for 3 years can really be a chance to get a great prospect at the hightlest level they can get. 

Alright dudes... IF Quenton Nelson is available when we pick at #8, is he the no-brainer guy for Pace?

Let's assume Fitzpatrick, Davenport and Landry are sitting there (4 QBs go in the top 7).

56 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

2017 is definitely there and it’s part of the equation. The 2017 tape is really the only reason we aren’t having “if he’s there” conversations about Landry because the 2016 tape was elite. His 2017 tape was not bad though - it just wasn’t 2016. 

gKD1dcs.jpg

7 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

That is one reason I would be fine with Jackson and Ward. Having Donatell  locked in for 3 years can really be a chance to get a great prospect at the hightlest level they can get. 

If they went that route, I wouldn't have a conniption, or anything. I probably would if Pace took one of the safeties. If it comes down to that, I'm hoping Jackson over Ward.

1 minute ago, G08 said:

Alright dudes... IF Quenton Nelson is available when we pick at #8, is he the no-brainer guy for Pace?

I think so. I'd rather it be Davenport or Landry, though. 

9 minutes ago, G08 said:

Let's assume Fitzpatrick, Davenport and Landry are sitting there (4 QBs go in the top 7).

I sure hope not 

Just now, Heinz D. said:

I think so. I'd rather it be Davenport or Landry, though. 

As would I... but Nelson is one of the better OGs to be coming out in quite some time, right? It's a glaring need of ours AND we have his freaking college position coach here who you have to think will be pounding the table for this kid. I just... I dunno. I don't believe in taking a guard top 10, let alone top 8, but I have a feeling he's going to be sitting there staring at us when our pick rolls around.

• Like 1

1. CLE - Allen

2. NYG - Darnold (I think this is the only way they go QB at 2)

3. NYJ - Mayfield/Rosen

4. CLE - Saquan Barkley

5. DEN - Rosen/Mayfield

6. IND - Chubb

7. TB - James

8. CHI - We will be staring at Nelson, Fitzpatrick, Davenport, Landry here. I can't see Buffalo trading up to 8 for someone like Mason Rudolph or Lamar Jackson.

19 minutes ago, G08 said:

I have a hard time believing Harry Hiestand wouldn't be making some noise in the draft room of Nelson is there.