2018 Draft Prospects

blkwdw13

48 minutes ago, G08 said:

Leno has given up the 7th least number of pressures in the league (hurries + hits + sacks). Love that dude, criminally underrated. 

I am a Leno fan. People do not realize how little he is the player getting help on the OL.

I still think the Bears could stand to go from solid to good or even great.

If you look at the young QBs who are thriving right now they have really exceptional OT play. The Eagles, before Peters went down, boasted arguably the best OTs in the NFL and the Rams adding Whitworth changed the entire offense.

You look at some young QBs who are struggling to maintain their success and Carr has not gotten the OT play he did before and the Titans have struggled to protect Mariota.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

I am a Leno fan. People do not realize how little he is the player getting help on the OL.

I still think the Bears could stand to go from solid to good or even great.

If you look at the young QBs who are thriving right now they have really exceptional OT play. The Eagles, before Peters went down, boasted arguably the best OTs in the NFL and the Rams adding Whitworth changed the entire offense.

You look at some young QBs who are struggling to maintain their success and Carr has not gotten the OT play he did before and the Titans have struggled to protect Mariota.

I don't think Leno is the problem.  My main concern is Massie and who they have behind him.  They could upgrade there and/or use better depth.

Clearly they won't be looking to move on from Leno after handing him that extension before the season and considering he's done a fairly solid job.

1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

I don't think Leno is the problem.  My main concern is Massie and who they have behind him.  They could upgrade there and/or use better depth.

Clearly they won't be looking to move on from Leno after handing him that extension before the season and considering he's done a fairly solid job.

I agree we need competition for Massie and ideally he is the swing tackle, that would be incredible depth.

I am not sure what round they do it in.

DeFillippo and Lafleur are both from systems that invest a ton in the OT position and put those guys in positions where they need to hold up 1 on 1.

I am interested to see if the Pats move on from Nate Solider.  I would also explore Greg Robinson as a Massie replacement. 

I am very bias I would be very happy if the bears went with McGlichey with their first pick.  But a more prudent thing would be to use their 2nd on a RT

As for Leno I was not a fan of him basically because I want my LT to be 6'5+ but he has played well and the bears can win with him. 

1 hour ago, Rogerthat said:

I am interested to see if the Pats move on from Nate Solider.  I would also explore Greg Robinson as a Massie replacement. 

I am very bias I would be very happy if the bears went with McGlichey with their first pick.  But a more prudent thing would be to use their 2nd on a RT

As for Leno I was not a fan of him basically because I want my LT to be 6'5+ but he has played well and the bears can win with him. 

Greg Robinson is horrible.

5 minutes ago, Rogerthat said:

I have the answer to our RT problem.  the football factory that is NC A&T.  Brandon Parker 6'8 310lbs.  Pace loves the NC A&T guys

I thought about that. Great size and you know they saw a ton of him last season scouting Cohen.

I doubt he would be ready to play in 2018, seems like a IR stash candidate like Morgan.

I think the Bears need a legit OT. Imagine if Leno had missed games this season?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I thought about that. Great size and you know they saw a ton of him last season scouting Cohen.

I doubt he would be ready to play in 2018, seems like a IR stash candidate like Morgan.

I think the Bears need a legit OT. Imagine if Leno had missed games this season?

Mike McGlichey is the only sure fire answer.  Free agency is a bust this year for OT.  I like the depth of OT in the 2nd round.  If we could get Olrando Brown/Kolton Miller/Jamarco Jones/Martinas Rankin would be an upgrade over Massie

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

What team in the NFL would NOT be in a world of hurt though if their veteran starting LT missed time? Massie is replacement level and far and away the weakest link on the OL. We can use an upgrade over Massie and better depth but neither of those are first round needs. Even if he’s great McGlinchey over Massie is not the difference between our 2018 offense being average and good. Massie isn’t a liability as far as RT go, he’s just not exceptional. 

3 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

What team in the NFL would NOT be in a world of hurt though if their veteran starting LT missed time? Massie is replacement level and far and away the weakest link on the OL. We can use an upgrade over Massie and better depth but neither of those are first round needs. Even if he’s great McGlinchey over Massie is not the difference between our 2018 offense being average and good. Massie isn’t a liability as far as RT go, he’s just not exceptional. 

Some teams actually have OT depth.

I am not sure I would under rate the impact from going from an average OT to a good one is, especially if we are running a system that asks more of our OTs.

Massie will get further exposed if we are running a system used by the teams who's coaches we are poaching. 

So here are the WRs that are interesting to me. Any comparisons are just play style comments, not saying that is their ceiling or anything.

X receivers -

St Brown - Great size/speed combo, and looking at him he runs routes pretty damn well for a big guy. Martavius Bryant physically. without the diva attitude and I believe better hands.

Ateman - Big, fast, and somehow no one seems to notice him. I get a Broncos/early Bears Brandon Marshall vibe from him. Just damn physical.

Tate - Reminds me of Plaxico Burress when he plays. QB is killing him but he goes up for the ball as well as anyone.

Cobbs Jr.  - Cobbs Jr has incredible hands when he is on. He is underrated and from what I saw has a hell of a motor. Watch him make Ohio State's CBs look like clueless little kids. Goes up for the ball, makes the one handed catch a few times, goes THROUGH contact to get the ball, just looked phenomenal this game against future early round CBs. I have a link his catches below.

Sutton - Just a beast, looks like Mike Evans when he plays.

Sills - Seriously smooth catching the ball, seems to really understand leverage, and combines that with how he figures where the ball will be and how to force himself between the ball and defender. Snatches the ball with his hands and has a huge radius. I think of Marques Colston. Fun fact - he was the 13 year old QB Lane Kiffen gave a scholarship to  years ago.

Gallup - Physically he is going to go off in the Combine IMO, and the passing offense literally runs through him. He has 1350 receiving yards, all other players combine for under 2100 yards, the second best total being only 476. That says a LOT to how crafty he is to get open when they know you're the go to. Someone to look at as a midrounder.

Callaway - Talent-wise he is right there with Ridley and Sutton, but has off-field baggage. A strong coach and vet taking him in would do wonders for him, and would potentially be a major steal as his draft stock has to have plummeted. He has been compared to Antonio Brown for his talents, and if I thought he could get it together then I'm snagging him in the 4th.

Z  receivers-

Ridley - Probably the most polished WR in the class, just seems too thin. Great hands, if he wasn't in such a conservative offense his numbers would be crazy.

Pettis - Dangerous with the ball in his hands. Problem is how many he can drop.

Kirk - Explodes out of routes. Might have the fastest 3 cone drill of any skill position player this year. I want to see him run routes compared to other guys, has some serious potential if he can combine his freaky athleticism with honing on his footwork. I'm talking OBJ or Antonio Brown cuts. 

Miller - Edleman 2.0. Runs sharp routes, reliable hands, but is small.

Washington - Speed, speed, speed. Has some muscle to him too rather than the rail-thin burners like John Ross, reminds me of Percy Harvin, though not as hard to tackle.

Powell - Tavon Austin meets Tyreek Hill. He is closer to Austin but if you manufacture touches for him he will make plays as he can be electric with the ball and is usually the fastest guy on the field. unlike Austin he can be a real WR though.  The Gators joke offense has really crapped on his career.  Could be a late round gem to work with.

Edited by Sugashane
  • Like 2

The WR situation will be heavily dictated by who we hire.

Chiefs- they flood the defense with speed and go vertical from every spot.

Rams-need 3 interchangeable guys who can all kind of get deep.

Eagles-outside size to win 1 on 1s that are generated by the TEs and Algohiolor in the middle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

The WR situation will be heavily dictated by who we hire.

Chiefs- they flood the defense with speed and go vertical from every spot.

Rams-need 3 interchangeable guys who can all kind of get deep.

Eagles-outside size to win 1 on 1s that are generated by the TEs and Algohiolor in the middle.

I think the FA WR class lines up with the Chiefs/Nagy scheme.  Laundry, John Brown, Gabriel would fit well.