2018 Draft Prospects

blkwdw13

1 hour ago, G08 said:

So I'm looking at Marcus Davenport's physical profile and a thought keeps popping into my head... is there an intrinsic value in a big/strong/fast athletic profile that isn't easy to find? For example, look at Jadaveon Clowney's combine:

6052/266 lbs/34.5" arms/10" hands

1.59/2.68/4.53

21 reps

37.5" vert

10'04" broad

4.43 shuttle

7.27 cone

Compare that to Marcus Davenport:

6056/264 lbs/33.625" arms/9.125" hands

1.62/2.67/4.58

22 reps

33.5" vert

10'04" broad

4.41 shuttle

7.20 cone

How many players come along like this (honest question)? Does that bump up their value in the eyes of evaluators?

Both Davenport and Edmunds have high physical abilities. I think that Davenport showed more in college of the positional worth (edge and pass rushing) than Edmunds (non pass rush LB) so Davenport provides a better cost-benefit shot than Edmunds. What little I've seen of Edmunds he seemed slow to recognize plays and at the college level his elite physical skills could often times make up for the pause. Any delay in reading at the NFL level will keep him out of most plays for a LB. I realize Edmunds is young, but he had 32 games in college and if you did not develop vision and read abilities over 32 college games then I don't think he's suddenly going to develop vision when he hits 20 and has to read and react at a must faster pace just to keep up with his college abilities.

• Like 1

Listening to Nagy's press conference, he did not really hide the fact that the WR depth chart is an issue. I know I said it last week, but again I would not be surprised to see them go WR in the 2nd round.

I do not think the offense if going to want to run out of playmakers, or be searching for guys to fill roles.

• Like 1

Found this quote from Ryan Paxe after Nick Kwiatkoski was drafted...

"What I like about him, the No. 1 trait when you're looking for a linebacker is instincts. You can't coach that. He just reacts so quick and he attacks downhill. He's making tackles near the line of scrimmage. I think instincts transfer to whatever level you're playing at."

That makes me think Roquan Smith is ahead of Tremaine Edmunds on his board...

2 minutes ago, G08 said:

Found this quote from Ryan Paxe after Nick Kwiatkoski was drafted...

"What I like about him, the No. 1 trait when you're looking for a linebacker is instincts. You can't coach that. He just reacts so quick and he attacks downhill. He's making tackles near the line of scrimmage. I think instincts transfer to whatever level you're playing at."

That makes me think Roquan Smith is ahead of Tremaine Edmunds on his board...

For drafting a 'ready to play' LB I'd take Smith ahead of Edmunds.

I heard an interesting conversation on Waddle and Silvy yesterday and wanted to apply it here. Give me your 'mock draft' 1-7 with the caveat that NO quarterbacks will be taken. How would it lay out for you?

I think it would be something like:

Bradley Chubb
Saquan Barkley
Quenton Nelson
Denzel Ward
Minkah Fitzpatrick
Derwin James
Roquan Smith

Edited by G08

My top guys for Bears in order are Chubb, Nelson and Barkley but I expect all 3 to be gone by 8.

After that my #1 guy is Davenport.  I've been hyping him up for the past few months and I'm not backing down now.

Simply put I would be very very happy with any of these 4 guys.  Other guys who I would be happy with but not as happy as the above are:

- Ro Smith

- Edmunds

- Ward

- Fitzpatrick

- Landry

Other than that meh..

2 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

Yes, but isn't a lot of the appeal of Edmunds that-maybe-he can rush off the edge?  

The appeal seems to be that he has the physical skills to rush the passer, but the problem is that he was not a designated pass rusher in college and did not post big sack totals either. Given my limited scouting has me thinking he does not have good football vision/instincts he might be better suited to have his NFL responsibilities limited to see passer, go get passer in the NFL, but the real NFL scouts and evaluators will know much better than I.

So i decided to do a quick mock bc im sitting here with nothing really to do.

1.  Marcus Davenport, OLB UTSA

2 ( small trade to get a 3rd back) Will Henandez, OG UTEP

3. Equinimeous St. Brown, WR Notre Dame

4a. Josey Jewell, LB Iowa

4b. Kalen Ballage, RB ASU

5. Mike White, QB WKU

6. Brandon Parker, NCA&T

7. PJ Hill, DT/DE Sam Houston State

29 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

So i decided to do a quick mock bc im sitting here with nothing really to do.

1.  Marcus Davenport, OLB UTSA

2 ( small trade to get a 3rd back) Will Henandez, OG UTEP

3. Equinimeous St. Brown, WR Notre Dame

4a. Josey Jewell, LB Iowa

4b. Kalen Ballage, RB ASU

5. Mike White, QB WKU

6. Brandon Parker, NCA&T

7. PJ Hill, DT/DE Sam Houston State

Love Davenport

No way Hernandez is there but man that’d be awesome

St. Brown would be a decent pick

Like Jewell

Ballage is a good pick

No need for a QB so high

Parker makes a lot of sense

I think you mean PJ Hall and there is NO WAY he’s there in the 7th

I hate this. All the talking heads are pimping Minkah Fitzpatrick, Derwin James, Roquan Smith, Denzel Ward, Tremaine Edmunds.

Where do we put these dudes if we draft them? If we TRULY go BPA, do we take a Derwin James and tell Adrian Amos to go to the bench? Did we waste the past 3 years getting him acclimated in the system?

What about Smith or Edmunds? Does Pace tell Kwiatkoski to ride the pine? Does he tell Trevathan to do that?

Fitzpatrick/Ward... they're not kicking Fuller or Amukamara off the starting defensive 11, so do they come in and play nickel? Do you spend the 8th freaking pick on a nickel back?

I just. This is driving me insane.

5 minutes ago, G08 said:

I hate this. All the talking heads are pimping Minkah Fitzpatrick, Derwin James, Roquan Smith, Denzel Ward, Tremaine Edmunds.

Where do we put these dudes if we draft them? If we TRULY go BPA, do we take a Derwin James and tell Adrian Amos to go to the bench? Did we waste the past 3 years getting him acclimated in the system?

What about Smith or Edmunds? Does Pace tell Kwiatkoski to ride the pine? Does he tell Trevathan to do that?

Fitzpatrick/Ward... they're not kicking Fuller or Amukamara off the starting defensive 11, so do they come in and play nickel? Do you spend the 8th freaking pick on a nickel back?

I just. This is driving me insane.

Amos can go to the bench if you are drafting an elite talent.

If Derwin James is going to be a faster Cam Chancellor, then Amos becomes your 3rd safety.

Solid players losing their job to potentially elite talents is what happens with good teams. We have been bad so for so long the thought of replacing a solid starter was unfathomable.

• Like 1