Off-Season Story Lines #1 -- Receiving Group

showtime

Coming into this season, the Seahawks have a very promising group of pass catchers.  Jimmy Graham had a pretty good season last year, all things considered, and is hoping to build on that for the 2017-2018 season.  At this time last year, Jimmy Graham could not even run because he was coming back from a torn patellar tendon.  This year he is looking forward to working with Russell Wilson during camp so they can continue to build their chemistry.  I look for Graham to have his best year as a Seahawk this upcoming season and to stake his claim as one of the elite tight ends in the NFL once again.

I am really excited about the Seahawks young crop of wide receivers.  We all know about Doug Baldwin who has proven to be an exceptional wide receiver.  Tyler Lockett is an incredible playmaker and should have a featured role in the Seahawks offense, of course he has to prove that his broken leg is fully healed.  Jermaine Kearse has proven to be a solid player for the Seahawks and should also see a lot of playing time.  This leads me to Paul Richardson - the Seahawks 2014 second round pick.  Richardson ended the 2016 season on a very high note in the absence of Tyler Lockett.  I look forward to Richardson continuing to play a large role in the Seahawks offense.  Also, we should not forget about Tanner McEvoy, Amara Darboh and Kenny Lawler who are all also vying for playing time and might see some serious burn if injuries become a factor.

With all of this said, I believe the Seahawks have a group of pass catchers that can really surprise a lot of people.  So I will leave you all with some questions:

• What kind of season do you predict Jimmy Graham to have within the Seahawks offense?
  • How do you see the Seahawks depth chart at the wide receiver position?  Who is the #1, #2, #3, etc?
  • Is Paul Richardson going to continue the momentum he had during the second half of the 2016 season, or will he fall back due to Tyler Lockett returning?
  • Any other general thoughts or feedback are also welcome.

@showtime Thanks for posting this in the team forum.  We need members to get back in the habit of posting in team forums.  I will be liking posts of members that are trying to increase forum activity.  

We are really hoping to revive some of the less active team forums with this software update.  But we need everyone's help.   Members need to try and get back in the habit of starting new topics in their team forums instead of just posting everything in one huge general topic that now dominate a lot of forums.   The average member doesn't have time to follow 100 pages of 'Off-season' or 'draft' talk.  They ignore these topics and when they don't find any other interesting active topics in the forum, they leave.  I'm hoping the new forum update will bring back the forum activity, but if all we do is post in a handful of huge general topics,  the average member won't return.   

Use some of the new features to help.  Call Seahawks members into a discussion you start by using the @mention feature.   Follow the forum to quickly know when a new topic is started.   Use the notifications so you can find out when someone quotes you or replies to a topic you started.    Like posts that are top quality to encourage more members to post quality.  

Maybe @Tatupu_64 or @showtime can enlighten me, but why has Jimmy Graham's production been so down compared to his years from New Orleans?  Is it a byproduct of the fact that the Seahawks offense isn't nearly as pass happy as the Saints, or is it more of an issue that the Seahawks aren't going to focus on him?

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Maybe @Tatupu_64 or @showtime can enlighten me, but why has Jimmy Graham's production been so down compared to his years from New Orleans?  Is it a byproduct of the fact that the Seahawks offense isn't nearly as pass happy as the Saints, or is it more of an issue that the Seahawks aren't going to focus on him?

I think there are two major factors in play.  As you alluded to, he was targeted much more as a member of the New Orleans Saints.  In Graham's last four seasons with the Saints, he was targeted an average of 138 times per season.  In his two years with the Seattle Seahawks, Graham has been targeted 168 times total.  Another factor is that Graham tore his patellar tendon after the mid-way point of his first season as a Seahawk.  Not only is that an extremely difficult injury to recover from, but it also took a lot of valuable time Graham and Russell Wilson could have had playing together and building chemistry.  Graham only played in 11 games his first year as a Seahawk and he missed most of the off-season workouts as well heading into his second season.  I believe this upcoming season is going to be a lot more productive for Graham as he and Wilson continue to build a strong rapport.

24 minutes ago, showtime said:

I think there are two major factors in play.  As you alluded to, he was targeted much more as a member of the New Orleans Saints.  In Graham's last four seasons with the Saints, he was targeted an average of 138 times per season.  In his two years with the Seattle Seahawks, Graham has been targeted 168 times total.  Another factor is that Graham tore his patellar tendon after the mid-way point of his first season as a Seahawk.  Not only is that an extremely difficult injury to recover from, but it also took a lot of valuable time Graham and Russell Wilson could have had playing together and building chemistry.  Graham only played in 11 games his first year as a Seahawk and he missed most of the off-season workouts as well heading into his second season.  I believe this upcoming season is going to be a lot more productive for Graham as he and Wilson continue to build a strong rapport.

That's kinda where my thoughts are with him.  But you can't help the discussion about him possibly being a cap casualty if the production doesn't increase.  I can't imagine they were expecting this limited production when the Seahawks sent Max Unger and a 1st round pick to New Orleans.  While the Saints use of the pick is still up for question, that deal seems like a win for the Saints.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

That's kinda where my thoughts are with him.  But you can't help the discussion about him possibly being a cap casualty if the production doesn't increase.  I can't imagine they were expecting this limited production when the Seahawks sent Max Unger and a 1st round pick to New Orleans.  While the Saints use of the pick is still up for question, that deal seems like a win for the Saints.

You have a point.  To be fair, even before Graham's injury in his first season with the Seahawks, his production was really lacking.  I think this year Graham has a lot of exceptions to live up to and he should have no problems doing so, barring injuries.  He will not produce like he did when he was a member of the Saints, but I think we have yet to see the best of Graham as a member of the Seahawks.

4 minutes ago, showtime said:

You have a point.  To be fair, even before Graham's injury in his first season with the Seahawks, his production was really lacking.  I think this year Graham has a lot of exceptions to live up to and he should have no problems doing so, barring injuries.  He will not produce like he did when he was a member of the Saints, but I think we have yet to see the best of Graham as a member of the Seahawks.

Jimmy Graham is also in a weird situation with his contract set to expire this year.  This past offseason, Martellus Bennett received a 3 year, $21M deal from the Packers, Rhett Ellison got a 4 year, $18M deal from the Giants, etc. so you'd have to imagine that if he produces well he's going to be in line for another big deal.  And given the fact that he'll be 31 years old later this year, this is probably going to be his last big deal.  A big year for him could really help everyone out.

45 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Jimmy Graham is also in a weird situation with his contract set to expire this year.  This past offseason, Martellus Bennett received a 3 year, $21M deal from the Packers, Rhett Ellison got a 4 year, $18M deal from the Giants, etc. so you'd have to imagine that if he produces well he's going to be in line for another big deal.  And given the fact that he'll be 31 years old later this year, this is probably going to be his last big deal.  A big year for him could really help everyone out.

I never even considered his contract situation, but that is a really important element.  Even more incentive for him to have a great year.

23 hours ago, showtime said:

I never even considered his contract situation, but that is a really important element.  Even more incentive for him to have a great year.

I mean, if he balls out this year and signs a big contract with another team next they're still putting the Seahawks in a position where they'd potentially receive a compensatory pick in the 2019 draft.  It stands that a big year for Jimmy Graham would be big for everyone.

Archived