Brown extension in works

LoganF89

Leads the league in tackles so he does something right. Yeah they've had a lot of injuries - you gonna hold that against him? Granted what he doesn't do right is pass D but he never has. Good lateral movement, makes tackles and will get after the QB occasionally. Heck, they paid Ryan Anderson more than what they paid Brown this year. Hasn't missed a game - in his career (in his 6th season). 

9 hours ago, SeattleSkin said:

Leads the league in tackles so he does something right. Yeah they've had a lot of injuries - you gonna hold that against him? Granted what he doesn't do right is pass D but he never has. Good lateral movement, makes tackles and will get after the QB occasionally. Heck, they paid Ryan Anderson more than what they paid Brown this year. Hasn't missed a game - in his career (in his 6th season). 

Brown is a stud!!! He needs a running mate and another weapon on DL to allow him to attack. He’s good rushing the passer. Draft some more front 7 help and let’s see this defense play like they did against the raiders more often. They have depth they need a few more starting pieces and for all things holy to avoid injury for once. This roster is talented. It’s evident

47 minutes ago, mike23md said:

If Brown is able to get around 7M AAV, then thats a win for the Redskins. 

Was about to post asking what you guys would be comfortable paying him. Looked at the deals from last year.

I would assume he wants to get paid hence him signing the 1 year deal. He seems to have a lot of buzz around the league every commentator hypes him up. I would only be comfortable paying him a ton if we get an excellent ilb to pair with him to let him play to his strengths.

Total                   Guaranteed

Mark Barron (2016-2020) ILB LA 28 5 $45,000,000   $10,000,000      
Brandon Marshall (2016-2020) ILB DEN 28 4 $32,000,000   $15,053,000      
Danny Trevathan (2016-2019) ILB CHI 27 4 $28,000,000   $12,000,000      

13 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

Brown is a stud!!! He needs a running mate and another weapon on DL to allow him to attack. He’s good rushing the passer. Draft some more front 7 help and let’s see this defense play like they did against the raiders more often. They have depth they need a few more starting pieces and for all things holy to avoid injury for once. This roster is talented. It’s evident

One thing they need to do is if they re-sign Brown is they need to draft an ILB who can cover to play next to him. Someone like:

Rahsaan Evans, Malik Jefferson, Donte Booker, Raquon Smith, TeGray Scales or Kendall Joseph.

I do say that I think JHC flashed some vs the Cowboys and given his height and athletic ability with another offseason to develop he may end up being a steal and answer next to Brown. I will say that I don’t think we can go into next training camp with JHC & Spaight as our two best options to start next to Brown though, we need to draft someone too.

8 hours ago, turtle28 said:

One thing they need to do is if they re-sign Brown is they need to draft an ILB who can cover to play next to him. Someone like:

Rahsaan Evans, Malik Jefferson, Donte Booker, Raquon Smith, TeGray Scales or Kendall Joseph.

I do say that I think JHC flashed some vs the Cowboys and given his height and athletic ability with another offseason to develop he may end up being a steal and answer next to Brown. I will say that I don’t think we can go into next training camp with JHC & Spaight as our two best options to start next to Brown though, we need to draft someone too.

I think I would be fine with JHC and Spaight as back ups and bring in those 2 for obvious passing downs. One of the key schemes this season was having Brown spy Russell Wilson throughout the Seattle game. It limited Wilsons ability to escape the pocket and extend plays. Rawls and Lacy were not going to be a factor. 

19 hours ago, rizzy said:

Was about to post asking what you guys would be comfortable paying him. Looked at the deals from last year.

I would assume he wants to get paid hence him signing the 1 year deal. He seems to have a lot of buzz around the league every commentator hypes him up. I would only be comfortable paying him a ton if we get an excellent ilb to pair with him to let him play to his strengths.

Total                   Guaranteed

Mark Barron (2016-2020) ILB LA 28 5 $45,000,000   $10,000,000      
Brandon Marshall (2016-2020) ILB DEN 28 4 $32,000,000   $15,053,000      
Danny Trevathan (2016-2019) ILB CHI 27 4 $28,000,000   $12,000,000      

All of these guys were overpaid. Especially Barron. 

Contract is contract, its the guaranteed money that makes the difference. Barron likely had his guaranteed money in the first year in case he tanked. Then its just signing bonus and salary and he is expendable after that. 

Marshall is likely guaranteed money in the first 2 years and is expendable. 

Trevathan is likely the first 2 years of his contract as well. 

None of them have been spectacular to earn that money, while Brown is a tackling machine. 

1 hour ago, mike23md said:

All of these guys were overpaid. Especially Barron. 

Contract is contract, its the guaranteed money that makes the difference. Barron likely had his guaranteed money in the first year in case he tanked. Then its just signing bonus and salary and he is expendable after that. 

Marshall is likely guaranteed money in the first 2 years and is expendable. 

Trevathan is likely the first 2 years of his contract as well. 

None of them have been spectacular to earn that money, while Brown is a tackling machine. 

Brown was also passed over in free agency last year.  We shouldn’t bid against ourselves here.

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

Brown was also passed over in free agency last year.  We shouldn’t bid against ourselves here.

I understand that. What I am saying though, Brown is a solid football player. After this season, I dont think other teams will shy away from him. Which means we have to be competitive. The examples above, are not near the player that Brown is. 

6 hours ago, mike23md said:

I think I would be fine with JHC and Spaight as back ups and bring in those 2 for obvious passing downs. One of the key schemes this season was having Brown spy Russell Wilson throughout the Seattle game. It limited Wilsons ability to escape the pocket and extend plays. Rawls and Lacy were not going to be a factor. 

Yeah, what I’m saying though is that we shouldn’t be relying on just them two to battle it out for the starting spot next to Brown.

We need to draft or sign someone to compete with them for the starting spot next to Brown.

I really like JHC & Spaight’s potential and really either one of them could start next year, I just think we need more competition.

2 hours ago, mike23md said:

I understand that. What I am saying though, Brown is a solid football player. After this season, I dont think other teams will shy away from him. Which means we have to be competitive. The examples above, are not near the player that Brown is. 

Brown was actually passed over the last two free agency periods for a big long term deal. He had to settle for a one year deal with the Bills in 2016 and a one year deal with us this year.

The reason is obvious. While he’s very athletic and fast, great in the run game and as a blitzer, he’s the second coming of Perry Riley against play action, in his zone coverage and in his recognition of what his responsibilities are in coverage.

Cooley grades our ILbs very poorly on coverage every week and it’s obvious on the All-22. They can’t cover TEs, and it’s mostly because they get sucked up in their run responsibilities which leaves a huge void behind them in the middle of the field and before the safeties in coverage.

Cooley always says Brown & Spaight get depth in thee coverage at 5 yards or so, 8 at the most when they should be in the 10 go 12 range and then they can keep things infront of them and react in coverage instead of having Qbs throw to the TEs over them and before the safeties.

I want him back, but Mknight is right here, we shouldn’t bid against ourselves and overpay for him. If he’s asking for too much, we should see what happens in free agency and match whatever he’s offered.

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Cooley grades our ILbs very poorly on coverage every week and it’s obvious on the All-22. They can’t cover TEs, and it’s mostly because they get sucked up in their run responsibilities which leaves a huge void behind them in the middle of the field and before the safeties in coverage.

If that's the grading criteria, then we haven't had any decent ILBs for a decade and a half.

Remember last year when everyone had decided we should move on from our two receivers because they'd be too expensive and they're 30 and they'd be slowing down and yadda yadda yadda...

Lets not be dumb again. Pay Brown instead of creating a hole. 

Archived