2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

3 hours ago, Jerry said:

Daniels can add muscle.  Crosby was rail thin for a DE and look at him now (still not very muscular, but still a monster at DE).  Daniels maybe needs to add about 10-15 lbs. of muscle and 10 lbs. of fat (if he really is 185 lbs.) and he'll be fine.  

Yeah, I saw Nabers.  Dude is great.  If what you're saying is true about Daniels and Penix then should we not consider drafting them due to the fact that they had elite WRs in college?  I mean I'd personally be really happy if Daniels just kept throwing it up to Adams as his first read.  Luckily, I'm just a fan on a forum and not the future HC of the LV Raiders.

Moving this conversation to the draft thread. 

He has an ectomorph frame. Narrow hips and shoulders. He's built like a DB. He can't carry 20-25 lbs. imo.

Maxx is an inch taller and 260 lbs. Huge difference in body type. He's wide through the hip and shoulders.

You don't have the luxury of simply making one read at the pro level. You have to be able to go through progressions and play with timing and anticipation. I don't see that with either Daniels or Penix consistently. 

I've watched Daniels a lot and you get a lot of "one-read and run" offense from him. He doesn't have show a lot of layered passes in between coverage. He's either throwing 1v1 on his first read or making a throw on the run on a coverage breakdown.  They are all high percentage throws. 

Positives - He's sound in the pocket, keeps his eyes up and can avoid pressure with good agility. He was pressured some and dealt with it well which I like to see in a QB. 

Penix, exact opposite. Washing gives up .7 sacks a game. He never feels pressure. He's in a gimmick offense with 3 future NFL WRs. Again, nothing but high percentage throws on film from him.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

He has an ectomorph frame. Narrow hips and shoulders. He's built like a DB. He can't carry 20-25 lbs. imo.

Maxx is an inch taller and 260 lbs. Huge difference in body type. He's wide through the hip and shoulders.

You don't have the luxury of simply making one read at the pro level. You have to be able to go through progressions and play with timing and anticipation. I don't see that with either Daniels or Penix consistently. 

I've watched Daniels a lot and you get a lot of "one-read and run" offense from him. He doesn't have show a lot of layered passes in between coverage. He's either throwing 1v1 on his first read or making a throw on the run on a coverage breakdown.  They are all high percentage throws. 

Positives - He's sound in the pocket, keeps his eyes up and can avoid pressure with good agility. He was pressured some and dealt with it well which I like to see in a QB. 

Penix, exact opposite. Washing gives up .7 sacks a game. He never feels pressure. He's in a gimmick offense with 3 future NFL WRs. Again, nothing but high percentage throws on film from him.

Thank you for your post.  Definitely know more than I do about these players, so I'll take your word for it.  Hopefully we find the right guy because no matter what I'm hoping for a QB in the first at this point.

9 minutes ago, Geezy said:

how high would you take McCarthy?

18 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I have it like this.

Maye>Williams>>>McCarthy>>>>>>>>Nix>>>Daniels>>Penix

Nix sucks to me, dude is the definition of product of a system and the check down king

36 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Top 10

1. Williams - top 2

2. Maye - top 2

3. McCarthy - top 10

4. Daniels - top 15

5. Penix - Late 1st

6. Nix - 3rd/4th

i got it about the same, except i like Nix and would put him in the 2nd round with Penix. Also, i think wed have to get into the top 5 to secure McCarthy or QB3 with as many QB needy teams there are and our glaring need. Cant risk someone jumping us. Worst case we take a stud OT, and trade up from our second round pick. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

This is can't be stated enough. 

People always take small guys and sat "Eh, just get them in the weight room and add some bulk". 

It's not that easy or every OL coach would have 5 350 lb behemoths out there. 

Daniels isn't just light. McCarthy is relatively light, too. McCarthy looks and plays like someone you can add 15-20 lbs to and not risk screwing with his play style.

Daniels, you're not adding 15-20 lbs amd getting the same player. If you take him, you're settling for him more or less "as is". 

I know I can personally gain or drop 15 lbs and look, feel, move the same (for what I do). My gym buddy is practically the same size as me but on a different frame. Add 15 to him, he's fat. Drop 15, he looks emaciated. I imagine when you're getting deeper into the nitty gritty of pro athletes, differences like that are even more profound. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Geezy said:

i got it about the same, except i like Nix and would put him in the 2nd round with Penix. Also, i think wed have to get into the top 5 to secure McCarthy or QB3 with as many QB needy teams there are and our glaring need. Cant risk someone jumping us. Worst case we take a stud OT, and trade up from our second round pick. 

Bubble screen Bo looks like a poor man's Carr to me

2 hours ago, Jerry said:

Thank you for your post.  Definitely know more than I do about these players, so I'll take your word for it.  Hopefully we find the right guy because no matter what I'm hoping for a QB in the first at this point.

lol.... don't take my word for it. I'm wrong all the time lol. Just a football fan who tries to understand it all, but projecting like anyone else. 

If Daniels was the guy, I'd certainly root for him and hope my take is wrong.  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

Lamar has a slight frame too. Lots of guys in here would take him. How does Daniel’s stack with him?

I think Lamar has a slightly better arm but he's way more athletic. Lamar has legit 4.3 speed, Daniels is probably a 4.5 guy.

4 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

What's the deal with McCarthy's stats, or lack thereof.

NYRaider already mentioned it, but it's Michigan, and I'd add Harbaugh. 

Harbaugh coaches to win, not please fantasy owners. Michigan's run game has had 2 legit NFL caliber RBs and can wear down opponents with good defense like Ohio St and Penn St and Iowa by physically pounding them. 

McCarthy is a QB you simply have to judge based on what he does when called upon because he's not going to put up a ton of stats. Even in SF, Harbaugh ran the rock with Gore far more than they had Smith or Kaepernick air it out- despite having Davis and Boldin both there and more than capable.

Smith being a prime example really. He looked bad before Harbaugh. His stats with Harbaugh weren't sexy by any means, but he did what he needed to do and did it well. Two years later, the entire perception of Smith had changed, and for the time he was in Kansas City and then Washington pre-injury, we all saw he was plenty capable of more than he actually did in SF stat-wise. 

McCarthy does his job as he's been asked to do. I can't blame him for not doing more when it just wasn't called for. But based on what he's done with what he's been asked to do, he's sort of the classic example of a guy who will likely be way more productive in the pros than he was in college. He's only done a little, but it was done well, with few blemishes along the way, despite the potential for disaster if he wasn't pretty dang good. 

• Like 2