2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

2 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

And yes that includes trading up for one if that's what our FO thinks is the right play (Ziegler wanting to trade up to #2 for Stroud hurts to hear now).

I think the price will be higher this draft but I am game for it. Or simply stay at 4-8 and take a tier 2 QB.

Let's see how everything plays out. I actually think Daniels/McCarthy are closer to Maye/Caleb than people think. None of these prospects are perfect.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Let's see how everything plays out. I actually think Daniels/McCarthy are closer to Maye/Caleb than people think. None of these prospects are perfect.

And that's something us fans have to realize is the case with 99.99% of QBs coming out. We all want to wait for a blue chipper in Manning/Luck, but hell we have to be aggressive at some point and start taking chances on these guys.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Bruh you admitted hella times that you don’t watch actually games lol you watch twitter clips lol

What? That never happened. I watch a lot of college football. I live in the South, it's religion down here. Especially this year where I've tuned into as many of the top QB prospects as I could. 

Been following the draft for at least 20 years starting in middle school, and one thing I’ve learned about drafting QBs is that, as an organization, you just have to take a shot if it’s a prospect you like.

I’ve seen many flawed prospects turn out to be great pros because they were put in the right situations. If we miss out on Caleb or Maye, it won’t be the end of the world. McCarthy and Daniels seem to have high upside still.

And unlike in years past like the Jarmarcus era, taking a QB early and he turns out to be a bust, it is much easier to move on and recover now given the salary implications.

Edited by Justwinning
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

What? That never happened. I watch a lot of college football. I live in the South, it's religion down here. Especially this year where I've tuned into as many of the top QB prospects as I could. 

He was talking about HB, I believe 

31 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think there's a pretty significant gap between Maye/Caleb and the rest of the pack. Those two are plug and play starters that can have CJ Stroud type rookie seasons, IMO.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I think there's a pretty significant gap between Maye/Caleb and the rest of the pack. Those two are plug and play starters that can have CJ Stroud type rookie seasons, IMO.

Stroud had flaws too. My questions with some of these guys in that second level are:

Is JJ Mac Jones?

Can Daniels hold up in the NFL?

Just now, Chali21 said:

Stroud had flaws too. My questions with some of these guys in that second level are:

Is JJ Mac Jones?

Can Daniels hold up in the NFL?

Stroud was so damn good at Ohio State, he just never really had to play out of structure so people had questions if he could or not. He showed that he could when he diced up that historically talented UGA defense in the CFP.

I think JJ has better physical tools than Mac Jones, he's bigger, has a better arm, and is a lot more mobile. My concern with him would be: is his ceiling Alex Smith or truly elite.

Agree on Daniels, have to wonder how much of his production was system / the talent around him, how he'll adapt to a pro style offense that requires him to read defenses/go through 3-4 reads, and if he will be able to hold up physically as a running QB with a slight frame.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I just want a freaking good QB. Period. We farted around in Carr purgatory for a decade, had absolute dog crap before him for another decade, and now are back to the scrap heap.

Simply do whatever it takes to land a franchise QB. You swing and swing and swing until you get him.

It's easy to say that as fans, but most staffs don't get more than one swing. 

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

None are perfect and none really stand out to me as head and shoulders above what seems to be the Tier 2 crowd. 

The only difference is a couple were hyped as the top 2 for 2024 this time LAST YEAR, and the others are relative newcomers to the 1st round prospect scene. 

Way too often people fall too hard for how long someone has been hyped up and disregard that some guys break out later for a variety of reasons. Being hyped longer doesn't necessarily mean significantly better, if at all. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

And that's something us fans have to realize is the case with 99.99% of QBs coming out. We all want to wait for a blue chipper in Manning/Luck, but hell we have to be aggressive at some point and start taking chances on these guys.

Not only that but almost every year the top QB prospect  gets the "generational talent and prospective GOAT" treatment. 

No QB in most drafts is SO MUCH BETTER than another with a 1st round grade to justify giving up too much  for them instead of just taking  the other. 

Find your guy, find your second guy, find your third guy. What would it take to get each one? Weigh it out, really be objective about what a prospect is (and 99.9% of the time, it's not really Manning/Luck). And go from there. 

I bet there are at least more than a few Bills fans that saw Darnold go to the Jets and thought the world was going to end when they settled for the ridiculously raw and highly flawed prospect from Wyoming. Darnold had a ton of hype at the time. It's all a giant crapshoot.

• Like 2