2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

38 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Gotta watch the games not highlights Imo highlights only tell you half the story. I’ve seen games where daniels makes multiple reads come on lol.

I’ve seen games where jj makes no reads and just hands the ball off or plenty quick 1 read stuff but you’ll never mention that. 

I watch the games. And the highlights, highlight how many easy high percentage long passes Daniels had in that offense. He rarely makes it past his second read. Most the time, it's an easy half field read. He has very few NFL caliber throws on tape. 

I talk about JJ and that offense all the time and what he is asked to do. And despite him not getting as many pass attempts, he has more NFL caliber throws on tape than Daniels. He layers accurate throws on each level, hits tight windows, plays with poise and at 20 is still developing. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I watch the games. And the highlights, highlight how many easy high percentage long passes Daniels had in that offense. He rarely makes it past his second read. Most the time, it's an easy half field read. He has very few NFL caliber throws on tape. 

I talk about JJ and that offense all the time and what he is asked to do. And despite him not getting as many pass attempts, he has more NFL caliber throws on tape than Daniels. He layers accurate throws on each level, hits tight windows, plays with poise and at 20 is still developing. 

Right now, he's my #2 QB behind Maye. While I'd prefer Drake (who I think we could plug-and-play similar to Stroud this year), I'd be a-ok with taking McCarthy, redshirting him until 2025, and then unleashing him on the league.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

What would you say is jj signature 2023 game showing off his passing skills?

since you watch so many games

I wouldn't put it on any one game, because that is not how Michigan plays offense. If you want a "stats" game, then Michigan State but everything came easy for him because they are not any good. 

And while you'll try to take away from him because he only through for 147 yards, the Ohio St. game was his best. He had the beautiful tight throw for a TD. Made plays when needed in the pocket and on the move. 

Every week you see NFL type throws from him. You see him poised, eyes up when pressured making plays. You see him outside structure throwing dimes. 

Despite putting them in a hole, his game against TCU was a game that showcased his arm talent and athleticism. He aired it out and nearly lead a comeback and might have not for iffy officiating late. 

I think we'll see Harbaugh lean on him more in the playoff as teams sell out on their star RBs. He'll be ready.

12 minutes ago, RaidersForever said:

Right now, he's my #2 QB behind Maye. While I'd prefer Drake (who I think we could plug-and-play similar to Stroud this year), I'd be a-ok with taking McCarthy, redshirting him until 2025, and then unleashing him on the league.

I still have Williams 2, but I agree. To me McCarthy and Maye are similar prospects, but McCarthy is more raw in his development at a younger age. Given the cost to trade up, redshirting McCarthy might be the better move long term.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I still have Williams 2, but I agree. To me McCarthy and Maye are similar prospects, but McCarthy is more raw in his development at a younger age. Given the cost to trade up, redshirting McCarthy might be the better move long term.

Obviously it's a bit too early to say what our Draft position will be (and the Combine/Pro-Days may or may not shift some team's opinion on various prospects), but I agree with the bolded as well. In the scenario where we take McCarthy, I'd be okay to roll with AOC and/or a FA QB (Minshew? Mayfield?) for 2024. Best-case scenario, we have a winning record and QB trade bait going into 2025. Worst-case scenario, we have good draft position to get McCarthy some help wherever it's needed.

I could easily be very wrong about Williams, but I honest-to-god think he's gonna bust.

Edited by RaidersForever
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

If the Raiders are picking 5th or later, I suspect last year's Panthers/Bears trade will be the starting price. I am thinking something like: 2024 1st and 2nd; 2025 1st and 2nd; one of Jacobs/Crosby/Adams. If Williams is the target, I would probably want to trade Jacobs over Adams. Crosby is a non-starter. I wrote before that pairing Adams with a rookie would be perilous, but I think he would fit well with Williams and Adams would be happy with the pick.

The original asking price for #1 last year was a 2023 1/2, 2024 1/2, and a 2025 1. The Panthers opted to include DJ Moore instead of the 2025 1. I doubt that the Bears are going to want another high priced WR and we technically can't trade Adams so it'd have to be Crosby if it is a player. I also wonder if the depth of the QB class this year weakens the value of the #1 pick even just slightly. Neither Maye or Williams had great years this year and most of their draft value was established in 2022.

As of right now the two biggest wild cards for me are if JJ McCarthy and/or Quinn Ewers declare. I could see both declaring with strong performances in the CFP and I could also see both electing to go back to school to improve on their draft stock and have a chance to go #1 next year.

• Like 1

I wouldn't put it on any one game, because that is not how Michigan plays offense. If you want a "stats" game, then Michigan State but everything came easy for him because they are not any good. 

And while you'll try to take away from him because he only through for 147 yards, the Ohio St. game was his best. He had the beautiful tight throw for a TD. Made plays when needed in the pocket and on the move. 

Every week you see NFL type throws from him. You see him poised, eyes up when pressured making plays. You see him outside structure throwing dimes. 

Despite putting them in a hole, his game against TCU was a game that showcased his arm talent and athleticism. He aired it out and nearly lead a comeback and might have not for iffy officiating late. 

I think we'll see Harbaugh lean on him more in the playoff as teams sell out on their star RBs. He'll be ready.

Imo signature games aren’t based on stats based on performance and saying this is what he’ll look like on Sunday. 

I agree vs Ohio st was jj signature game for me. He made some clutch throws vs a legit defense. I think 1 td throw iirc he side armed it in between 2-3 defenders which was impressive.

Imo for daniels its vs bama 22’ and 23’

23’ bama was hell bent on not letting him win again 

can’t wait to see jj vs bama I want him to have a stroud vs Georgia game 

48 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Is there a chance that JJ McCarthy returns to school? He's already making 7 figures in NIL money at Michigan and would have a legitimate chance of going #1 next year, especially if they open up the playbook for him some more.

The sentiment is, he will declare. But that could depend on how they finish in the playoff. 

He's assured to be a frp. Nothing really to gain. Most these guys would rather go later to the right team, than 1 overall to the wrong team anyway. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, RaidersForever said:

Obviously it's a bit too early to say what our Draft position will be (and the Combine/Pro-Days may or may not shift some team's opinion on various prospects), but I agree with the bolded as well. In the scenario where we take McCarthy, I'd be okay to roll with AOC and/or a FA QB (Minshew? Mayfield?) for 2024. Best-case scenario, we have a winning record and QB trade bait going into 2025. Worst-case scenario, we have good draft position to get McCarthy some help wherever it's needed.

I could easily be very wrong about Williams, but I honest-to-god think he's gonna bust.

I can see it as well. I really wish I could wash my brain of all the hype and generational talk with him and revisit him without that clouding my vision. It's been easy to say "well everyone says he's great, he must be" and not push back. But he does have a lot of impressive throws on tape. 

I will say this.... He's polarizing. I do not like the person. Hate his body language and some of the stuff he's had to say. He comes off as an entitled punk. He is easy to root against. 

51 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

The sentiment is, he will declare. But that could depend on how they finish in the playoff. 

He's assured to be a frp. Nothing really to gain. Most these guys would rather go later to the right team, than 1 overall to the wrong team anyway. 

There is a lot to gain though, the difference between being selected 1 and 10 is huge. The first overall pick receives 42M guaranteed and the 10th overall pick only receives 21M guaranteed over their rookie contract.

On 10/30/2023 at 9:12 PM, Geezy said:

i liked Levis in the draft, not at 7 for the Raiders but theres no way he shouldnt have went top 20 if guys like Kenny Pickett do lol dude has the size and arm talent team usually bet on. I know he didnt have the greatest season last year, but he balled in '21. 

Agree, I liked him too, though he had things to work on and certainly polish up I thought he was the highest ceiling prospect in the class, but also the lowest floor of the big 4 

It's a double edged sword about trading Adams this offseason. I am all for moving up for a high-end franchise QB. Borderline whatever it takes (Sans Crosby). If that included a DA trade then so be it.

But at the same time, what an enormous benefit would it have on a shiny new QB than WR A/B/C? He would do wonders for teaching them the NFL game.

I am for it but I can see why are weary of moving him. I think Meyers is suuuuper underrated and would still be awesome for a rookie. Hunter needs to go. Tucker looks like a super fun toy which is underutilized. Mayer is going to be a damn good TE for a decade...

• Like 4

I can see it as well. I really wish I could wash my brain of all the hype and generational talk with him and revisit him without that clouding my vision. It's been easy to say "well everyone says he's great, he must be" and not push back. But he does have a lot of impressive throws on tape. 

I will say this.... He's polarizing. I do not like the person. Hate his body language and some of the stuff he's had to say. He comes off as an entitled punk. He is easy to root against. 

And that's where the majority of my hesitation about him comes from. If the mind/attitude is not in the right place, the performance on the field will absolutely be negatively affected -- and as far as his on-the-field play, I think the Notre Dame defense exposed his biggest problems (as I've said before in different posts).