2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

On 11/6/2023 at 9:55 PM, big_palooka said:

....... because you knew who he was in round 7 right? 

Easy to say these things in hindsight. 

I think quite a few of us had Pacheco as a late round flyer with potential tbh, he was clearly a better prospect than Brown……….and fitted as a change of pace kind of gave with Jacobs. I may be wrong but I recall him being quite decently rated?

On 11/8/2023 at 11:32 PM, big_palooka said:

The time to take a shot on QB is now while you have a solid LT and top end WR talent. Not have some middling years, then plug in a rookie who will need time. Maxx/Adams will be on their home stretch at that phase. 

Wholeheartedly agree. We have the basis of a decent roster, needs some work but it’s not the barren desert it has been, we have a cheap backup in place and likely a new HC.

I feel we should do whatever we can to land a top prospect, I’d be on board with one of the top two even if we have to commit a ton of capital (though Williams worries me greatly for the same reasons espoused here) but I really like something about McCarthy, I haven't seen many of his games at all but I just like him. Maybe it’s the Harbaugh factor 😁

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

It's a double edged sword about trading Adams this offseason. I am all for moving up for a high-end franchise QB. Borderline whatever it takes (Sans Crosby). If that included a DA trade then so be it.

But at the same time, what an enormous benefit would it have on a shiny new QB than WR A/B/C? He would do wonders for teaching them the NFL game.

I am for it but I can see why are weary of moving him. I think Meyers is suuuuper underrated and would still be awesome for a rookie. Hunter needs to go. Tucker looks like a super fun toy which is underutilized. Mayer is going to be a damn good TE for a decade...

I think the Cardinals might be inclined to take Adams plus draft capital for their pick if they're planning on keeping Murray and looking to be competitive.

3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Wholeheartedly agree. We have the basis of a decent roster, needs some work but it’s not the barren desert it has been, we have a cheap backup in place and likely a new HC.

I feel we should do whatever we can to land a top prospect, I’d be on board with one of the top two even if we have to commit a ton of capital (though Williams worries me greatly for the same reasons espoused here) but I really like something about McCarthy, I haven't seen many of his games at all but I just like him. Maybe it’s the Harbaugh factor 😁

The only concern about McCarthy is that if you're going to give him a RS year do you really think it's smart to keep Adams?

On 11/11/2023 at 10:04 PM, FloydFan said:

Yes it was only him that took them to the Super Bowl. Not the absolutely stacked roster and elite defense they have. And that goes further to prove my point. Elite is thrown around way way too much. There should only be two or three guys considered elite. Past that you dilute the actual meaning of the word. Hurts is a good quarterback on an absolutely stacked team. He’s not an elite one though. 

Honestly, I think we only really have one elite QB in the league right now, the next level down have some really good and talented QBs but they all seem to have big flaws.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The only concern about McCarthy is that if you're going to give him a RS year do you really think it's smart to keep Adams?

I think he's a year 1 starter honestly. He does enough good things to start year 1 in a good situation, which we'll have. We need to upgrade the OL in general, but it's a good situation for a rookie to come into.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think he's a year 1 starter honestly. He does enough good things to start year 1 in a good situation, which we'll have. We need to upgrade the OL in general, but it's a good situation for a rookie to come into.

With some upgrades up front and a good play caller we are probably the best possible situation for any rookie QB.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, RaisinBran said:

I'm glad we aren't seeing a ton of overreactions in here about AOC's performance tonight. He played great but this Charger's team was awful too lol.

Yeah, I know we put up a record number of points, but I've never seen a team give up as obviously as that Chargers squad did last night.

I get that Staley sucks, but some of the veterans on that team should be ashamed of themselves.

• Like 6

On 12/14/2023 at 9:09 AM, big_palooka said:

I watch the games. And the highlights, highlight how many easy high percentage long passes Daniels had in that offense. He rarely makes it past his second read. Most the time, it's an easy half field read. He has very few NFL caliber throws on tape. 

I talk about JJ and that offense all the time and what he is asked to do. And despite him not getting as many pass attempts, he has more NFL caliber throws on tape than Daniels. He layers accurate throws on each level, hits tight windows, plays with poise and at 20 is still developing. 

JJ being 20 years old is huge with me. You want to talk about upside his arm will get stronger, he’ll get more muscular and read better defenses by the time he’s 23.

• Like 5

On 11/14/2023 at 11:58 AM, big_palooka said:

Sure, but the draft is still a gamble. The hit rate is ~33% from 2018-2022 on QBs taken in round 1.

~77% chance of missing on your franchise QB. Now, if you are the 49ers (Lance) and you're stacked with talent and draft capital, those picks you sacrificed are not as detrimental. If you're the Raiders, you miss it can have a rippling effect on your roster. 

Point is, you have to be 100% convinced. You can't take a swing just to take a swing. 

Your maths needs some work 😁 but the point is a valid one, even trading up for the consensus best prospect is not an exact science.

I will say, at this stage with the makeup of the roster we have such as Crosby, Adams, Jacobs and a few bright young players I think the Raiders are in that window where taking a risk to trade up may be worth it. Over the past few years I don’t think we’ve been in position to due to having so many holes on the roster and not wanting to throw a rookie into a dire situation but right now may be out time.

• Like 3

On 12/6/2023 at 10:17 AM, NickButera said:

This year is going to be unique in that there is A LOT of low QB talent starting in the league right now, and there will be a lot of GM's that view these rookie QB's as huge upgrades. Wouldn't shock me to see a record number of QB's go in the first round this year. 

Williams and Maye seem to be locks to be drafted high in this draft. There are 5 underclassmen that I think will return to college to make it a deep class next year but I hope 2 come out. Ewers and McCarthy and if either wins it all I could see them being good with leaving college to go pro while they're on top.. Milroe already said he's going back to Bama and I'd expect Sanders will stay with his Dad. Beck I'm not sure about but could go either way. So we have the experienced Daniels, Nix and Penix to add to the first two. 

So we could have 5 in 24 & 5 in 25 depending on progression and program success. 

9 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

For all y’all crying about draft position myself and other mock posters have shown y’all you can have successful drafts without a top pick.

Evaluation >draft position anyday

and as we all know, we could have even Caleb Williams fall to us at 6 and end up taking Bo Nix or whoever any ways lol
Raiders arent good enough at drafting to be sad about dropping 60 points on the chargers lol. 

We will own the thursday night football most points scored for a while I think