2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

2 hours ago, NickButera said:

If there's one thing to know about Penix, is that his strength, and by strength I mean the one thing that's making him a first round pick, is his god like accuracy. The guy just puts the ball where it needs to be, and he's better at anyone else in he draft at that. If there's one QB this draft who you could trust throwing from the pocket, it's Penix. 

So, no, he's not a product of a system, at least that's not what's skyrocketing his value anyway. 

He was good at Indiana but couldn't stay healthy. I'm not comparing them as prospects but his performance on Monday was reminiscent of Stroud's performance against Georgia in the CFB a year ago. Just like Stroud a lot of people had questions about Penix's ability to play out of structure, create plays with his legs, and knocked him for playing with great receivers. I know Texas isn't anywhere near that UGA defense but they have a great defensive line full of NFL talent.

And just like Stroud last year Penix showed that he can use his legs to extend plays, has good mobility if he has to run, and is able to make plays outside of the pocket with the pass rush coming down on him. I think Penix has a stronger arm but just like Stroud he is deadly accurate, dude was dropping dimes the entire game. As you said I think elite arm strength + elite accuracy is always going to fare pretty well at the NFL level.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

He was good at Indiana but couldn't stay healthy. I'm not comparing them as prospects but his performance on Monday was reminiscent of Stroud's performance against Georgia in the CFB a year ago. Just like Stroud a lot of people had questions about Penix's ability to play out of structure, create plays with his legs, and knocked him for playing with great receivers. I know Texas isn't anywhere near that UGA defense but they have a great defensive line full of NFL talent.

And just like Stroud last year Penix showed that he can use his legs to extend plays, has good mobility if he has to run, and is able to make plays outside of the pocket with the pass rush coming down on him. I think Penix has a stronger arm but just like Stroud he is deadly accurate, dude was dropping dimes the entire game. As you said I think elite arm strength + elite accuracy is always going to fare pretty well at the NFL level.

Never really understood that. 

Odunze is very very good. McMillan and Polk are good, but not the same caliber as Odunze. 

Nobody ever knocked Tua or Hurts or Mac or Young for playing with Ruggs, Waddle, Jeudy, Smith, Mitchell, or Williams and such. 

I mean, it's one thing if you have a WR that is constantly bailing a QB out of pretty bad throws like how Manziel could throw to the opposite side of the field to a group of defenders and Mike Evans would materialize out of thin air in front of them. But none of Washington's WRs have had to bail Penix out of bad decisions or throws. Always seemed like the only time his WRs were brought up as a knock, it was in the absence of anything else one could knock. 

Age and injury history. Age is only a small issue as he's not ancient. As for the injuries, I'm glad he got through the last 2 seasons unscathed. Obviously the concerns will always be there, but I'd be more worried if it was last year or this year. He seems to be just fine, physically, though he'll for sure be under the microscope of med staffs. 

I don't think there's much he could do to hurt his stock against Michigan. Everyone knows that D is brutal and a bad game won't derail Penix very much. But if they come out like they did against Alabama and Penix rises to the occasion, best believe his stock is going to soar. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Never really understood that. 

Odunze is very very good. McMillan and Polk are good, but not the same caliber as Odunze. 

Nobody ever knocked Tua or Hurts or Mac or Young for playing with Ruggs, Waddle, Jeudy, Smith, Mitchell, or Williams and such. 

I mean, it's one thing if you have a WR that is constantly bailing a QB out of pretty bad throws like how Manziel could throw to the opposite side of the field to a group of defenders and Mike Evans would materialize out of thin air in front of them. But none of Washington's WRs have had to bail Penix out of bad decisions or throws. Always seemed like the only time his WRs were brought up as a knock, it was in the absence of anything else one could knock. 

Age and injury history. Age is only a small issue as he's not ancient. As for the injuries, I'm glad he got through the last 2 seasons unscathed. Obviously the concerns will always be there, but I'd be more worried if it was last year or this year. He seems to be just fine, physically, though he'll for sure be under the microscope of med staffs. 

I don't think there's much he could do to hurt his stock against Michigan. Everyone knows that D is brutal and a bad game won't derail Penix very much. But if they come out like they did against Alabama and Penix rises to the occasion, best believe his stock is going to soar. 

I was hoping Penix would drop to the late 1st/early 2nd but with his postseason performance I don't know anymore. He is a very talented thrower. He doesn't have top 5 QB upside, but legitimately I could see him being a top 10 passer in the NFL in a good passing offense. He would certainly do very well with our receivers here next year even with no additions after cutting renfrow. Adams, Meyers, Tucker, and Mayer is a pretty good combo of size, speed, and separation ability.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I was hoping Penix would drop to the late 1st/early 2nd but with his postseason performance I don't know anymore. He is a very talented thrower. He doesn't have top 5 QB upside, but legitimately I could see him being a top 10 passer in the NFL in a good passing offense. He would certainly do very well with our receivers here next year even with no additions after cutting renfrow. Adams, Meyers, Tucker, and Mayer is a pretty good combo of size, speed, and separation ability.

Definitely agree. 

I think he's the type who cam stay in the top 10nrange pretty comfortably, and even have that occasional top 5 season. I don't think he'll consistently be top 5  either, but I wouldn't sleep on him posting top 5 numbers on more than a couple of occasions in the right offense. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Definitely agree. 

I think he's the type who cam stay in the top 10nrange pretty comfortably, and even have that occasional top 5 season. I don't think he'll consistently be top 5  either, but I wouldn't sleep on him posting top 5 numbers on more than a couple of occasions in the right offense. 

Yeah I think he has a very clean game. Very nice deep ball, good velocity, solid decision making, good mobility and toughness. There is a very high floor and a lot to like. If we are gonna load up the roster defensively, would love to get Penix.

My dream offseason is shelling out for L'Jarius Sneed, drafting Jer'Zhan Newton and then taking Penix/McCarthy in the late 1st/early 2nd. 

16 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I wasn’t a fan early but I’d be confident in Penix’s ability to come in and be good next year for us. 

Yea all year is was waiting for him to slip up and get exposed but it never happened. My fav qbs

1) daniels

2) pennix

3a) Caleb 

3b) may

5) jj

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tank4Drake said:

Can change but my Top 5 QBs from the draft:

Top 3 Picks:

1. Maye

2. Caleb

Top 10 Pick:

3. McCarthy

Top 15 Pick:

4. Jayden Daniels

Early 2nd Rounder:

5. Penix

Penix clears JJ McCarthy, JJ looked terrible against Alabama 

My QB Rankings:

1) Penix - Kinda reminds me of Stroud. The best pure passer in the draft.

2) Drake Maye - More physically gifted Alex Smith, with better upside.

3) Bo Nix - Has drawn comparisons to Derek Carr. Plays in gimmicky offense.

4) JJ McCarthy - Solid physical tools. Mostly used as a game manager due to the offense.

5) Jayden Daniels - Kinda reminds me of Hurts without the physical strength. Needs to bulk up.

6) Caleb - I have soured on his reported attitude. But 2nd best thrower behind Penix.

This is for everyone who wants to trade up for a QB.

There have been 38 quarterbacks drafted in the first round since 2011, the year the NFL changed the collective bargaining agreement to set a wage scale for rookie deals, making it extremely affordable to draft a quarterback.

These 38 first round quarterbacks have made a total of 1,909 starts.  Their record? 1034-1035-7

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/sharp-the-success-rate-of-first-round-qbs-makes-lamar-jacksons-case-for-him

• Like 1

Went back to the simulator for my 2nd mock draft. Here's what I got. Best I could do with how the board laid out for me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PhillyRaider said:

This is for everyone who wants to trade up for a QB.

There have been 38 quarterbacks drafted in the first round since 2011, the year the NFL changed the collective bargaining agreement to set a wage scale for rookie deals, making it extremely affordable to draft a quarterback.

These 38 first round quarterbacks have made a total of 1,909 starts.  Their record? 1034-1035-7

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/sharp-the-success-rate-of-first-round-qbs-makes-lamar-jacksons-case-for-him

Your post doesn’t dissuade any of the posters here that want a QB in the first. All that shows is that we better get the right guy, and honestly most of us believe there are 3-6 first round caliber QBs this year so we better do it now.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jerry said:

Your post doesn’t dissuade any of the posters here that want a QB in the first. All that shows is that we better get the right guy, and honestly most of us believe there are 3-6 first round caliber QBs this year so we better do it now.

To be fair, it sort of reinforces my position that no QB is truly worth trading the farm for the next X years for. Some people were totally calling for us to trade up no matter the cost. 

I use the Trevor Lawrence dilemma. Jacksonville was right to take him at the time, though I cautioned about his expectations back then too. Had Jacksonville traded multiple 1sts or whatever to move up 10 or so spots for him though, they'd be getting laughed at now with how painfully middle of the road he still is. 

• Like 1