2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

Just now, NYRaider said:

I see it to an extent but I could also see them passing on QB if they bring back Kirk or looking to take someone in round 2 or 3.

Yeah but I feel like that's more of wishful thinking because obviously we would all love for them to pass on the quarterback so that we could have one at 13 but the reality is Kirk cousins is getting up there an age every year and it makes less and less sense to pass on first round quarterbacks especially when it seems like if they had a quarterback after Kirk went down they would've made the playoffs

Just now, NYRaider said:

JJ hasn't looked good that was a terrible throw just now lol

Is his accuracy usual this bad? The placement is all over the board. I am not seeing a 1st round pick whatsoever.

The guys in the Draft forum laugh at the hype JJ has been getting. And after seeing this first half I can't say II blame them.

• Like 1

Just now, RaidersAreOne said:

Is his accuracy usual this bad? The placement is all over the board. I am not seeing a 1st round pick whatsoever.

The guys in the Draft forum laugh at the hype JJ has been getting. And after seeing this first half I can't say II blame them.

Why does this forum never understand the word “project”? Doesn’t matter what they look like. The draft forum hated Jordan Love and Josh Allen to an ungodly level, like you couldn’t even say a positive sentence about either without being bullied by the entire subforum. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

It's difficult to even get a real evaluation on him because we haven't really seen him have to air it out and he has been in the perfect situation to just be a game manager. 

• Like 1

Just now, Tank4Drake said:

Why does this forum never understand the word “project”? Doesn’t matter what they look like. The draft forum hated Jordan Love and Josh Allen to an ungodly level, like you couldn’t even say a positive sentence about either without being bullied by the entire subforum. 

I guess I just don't see these amazing tools some posters are constantly bringing up with McCarthy. I know I have limited experience watching him but I haven't see anything resembling a high potential prospect. 

1 minute ago, Tank4Drake said:

Allen and Love were both small school prospects with top tier physical tools but regressed in their final college seasons. Totally different than McCarthy as a prospect who has been in an amazing situation at a great school. I don't think his tools are comparable to either one of those guys.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

It's difficult to even get a real evaluation on him because we haven't really seen him have to air it out and he has been in the perfect situation to just be a game manager. 

And is that not a huge red flag to people? Sure it's one thing to be sheltered and manage, but do these once in a while splash plays surrounded by NFL calibre coaching and great supporting cast really hold that much weight?

Again I hope JJ balls out so we either land a QBOTF or someone else does in front of us allowing other talent to fall to us. But a QB with nice but not jaw dropping intangibles sheltered to all hell and only asked to manage games doesn't scream top 15 pick.

7 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Yeah but I feel like that's more of wishful thinking because obviously we would all love for them to pass on the quarterback so that we could have one at 13 but the reality is Kirk cousins is getting up there an age every year and it makes less and less sense to pass on first round quarterbacks especially when it seems like if they had a quarterback after Kirk went down they would've made the playoffs

I think it's pretty clear we're going to have to move up from #13 if we want a QB. Either way I'm not sure they go QB, but I could see it.

Just now, RaidersAreOne said:

And is that not a huge red flag to people? Sure it's one thing to be sheltered and manage, but do these once in a while splash plays surrounded by NFL calibre coaching and great supporting cast really hold that much weight?

Again I hope JJ balls out so we either land a QBOTF or someone else does in front of us allowing other talent to fall to us. But a QB with nice but not jaw dropping intangibles sheltered to all hell and only asked to manage games doesn't scream top 15 pick.

NFL is all about projection and he has above average size/athleticism, an NFL arm, and he's only 20 years old. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

You’re drafting traits with JMC imo 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Geezy said:

You’re drafting traits with JMC imo 

Agreed. The only concern that I have with him is that he's probably not someone you can throw in there as a rookie. I'd be pretty confident starting Williams, Maye, Daniels, or Penix from day one. But McCarthy is probably a guy that would benefit from a year on the bench to learn the game and grow into his body. So if you're taking him in the 1st you're also likely going to have to identify another starting QB in free agency. 

We could potentially spend a FRP on him and still wind up with AOC as our starter for the majority of next year.

• Like 2

I’m not seeing it with JJ, this Washington defense isn’t elite and they’re selling out to stop the run. He should be completing easy passes. Penix has had some wow throws in this game. I’m giving the edge to that young man. 

6 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

I’m not seeing it with JJ, this Washington defense isn’t elite and they’re selling out to stop the run. He should be completing easy passes. Penix has had some wow throws in this game. I’m giving the edge to that young man. 

Doesn’t matter how projects look. You’re drafting the traits. Did you think Allen and Love sucked too?

Edited by Tank4Drake

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Agreed. The only concern that I have with him is that he's probably not someone you can throw in there as a rookie. I'd be pretty confident starting Williams, Maye, Daniels, or Penix from day one. But McCarthy is probably a guy that would benefit from a year on the bench to learn the game and grow into his body. So if you're taking him in the 1st you're also likely going to have to identify another starting QB in free agency. 

We could potentially spend a FRP on him and still wind up with AOC as our starter for the majority of next year.

You can start McCarthy year one… but he’s gonna look like total trash like Josh Allen did. I think year three is the year McCarthy will be good. 

Year 1 - Terrible

Year 2 - Bad 

Year 3 - Star

From bad to star, like a light switch. Similar to Allen. 

I think the same thing with Anthony Richardson. He’s gonna be great in Year Three. 

9 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Wouldn’t mind that at all. It used to be the norm, now guys are asked to be the man day1. Hopefully Jordan Loves success makes teams reassess their process. Too many young QBs thrown to the wolves in poor environments and killing their development. 

• Like 2