2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

52 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

Love’s tools weren’t elite. They were very very good tools though. McCarthy has good tools, and has flashes of throwing some of the most beautiful balls you’ll see in the sport. 

Love's arm talent is certainly high level, if not elite it's very close.

My thing is if we draft horrible I have no problem with McCarthy. Simply because he already knows what to do with him. I would imagine the OC would be Greg Roman which would allow them to run an all fans that emphasizes quarterback runs and safe throws. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Bo Nix is somewhat similar to Carr with his size, release, and arm strength. He's also a bit robotic and fidgety with his movements in the pocket. Where Nix separates himself from Carr is his athleticism. Nix is a bona fide run threat and maestro in the redzone.

it's crazy how people wanted to run DC out of town and now trying to find a poor man version of him. Nix played in a gimmick offense throw quick hitting passes. Could easily flop with a real NFL playbook. 

I see 3 first round QBS: Caleb, Maye, Daniels 

2nd rounders in order: Ward, JJ, Pennix, Nix 

I called JJ Derek Carr cause you expect more but it never really happens.  He’s needs another year it’s pretty simple. He’s not ready. He has thrown 4 TD passes over the past 6 games. 3 of those 4 were against Bama. 

Passing yards the last 6 games. His traits are not elite. Not an elite athlete. Not an elite arm.  Doesn’t have elite size. Mentally we know where that is(not great). 

Can’t sit here and say JJ and Josh Allen in the same sentence. Two different animals coming out. 

• Like 3

JJ McCarthy is vastly overrated on this forum. He’s a year away from being a year away. I’d take Cam Ward and Spencer Rattler over him

If he declares and we draft him next season round 1, get ready for AOC starting next season 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

JJ McCarthy is vastly overrated on this forum. He’s a year away from being a year away. I’d take Cam Ward and Spencer Rattler over him

If he declares and we draft him next season round 1, get ready for AOC starting next season 

Yeah, if I'm being honest, I even overrated him. I could definitely see a scenario where we draft him in the first round and you start hearing reports that Aiden O'Connell looks way better and McCarthy is throwing interceptions in 7 on 7s.

It's also one of those things where the reality is that if we don't trade up, For one of those top three quarterbacks anyone else is a dart throw. Sure, be prepared to be wowed buy some combine or pro performance, but in terms of their ability to be successful from my film perspective it doesn't look good. It's how you end up with the Zach Wilson types. 

An option that I don't think it's sexy at all and it's probably not going to be well. Liked on here would just be to trade like a third for fields or sign Russell Wilson who are more likely to start and see if over the course of next year Aiden O'Connell gets better. Then draft a quarterback next year if he doesn't. Because then, under those circumstances, you can at least improve the quarterback position. 

At the moment I am underwhelmed from the whole QB-Class tbh.
And looking back to the previous drafts, it doesn't get better:

2023: Only Stroud looks like a gamechanger for a franchise from 14 QBs taken in the draft - 3 in the Top 5 - another two in the Top 100

2022: None of the QBs looks really good, but there is also only one Top 20 pick, but also in total 4 in the Top 100

2021: Top 3 were QB picks and none of them looks better than average right now - 8 Top 100 QB picks

2020: finally again a good QB class with 3 franchise QBs taken in the top 10 although Herbert is far behind the expectations - with Love and Hurts you have another 2 in the top 100

2019: is again a mediocre QB class: Murray and Daniel Jones both guys who may get replaced sooner rather than later

I agree that you have to take the risk and get your chance and draft until you get a good one, but the odds in finding a good one are arguably low.

• Like 1

I think the only three QB's you'd be confident to trot out there from day one are Williams, Maye, and Daniels. 

Penix and Nix both have starting potential but I think their upsides are both pretty limited.

McCarthy is almost 100% going to have to sit for a year.

9 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Penix has looked so uncharacteristically

bad tonight. 

I've said it all season and why I've never bought his hype. He never gets pressured. Never has to deal with it consistently. Washington's offense is gimmicky - did you see the plays where the WR ducks to hide behind another guy? They have a top tier group of WRs that get open and he just has to deliver the ball. He has nice arm and in rhythm can deliver with accuracy. 

But college accuracy is different than NFL accuracy. You have to be able to make throws when you're getting pressured. Michigan rattled him early, didn't let him get to his spots and he had no answer for it. Until eventually he panicked and through gift INT that sealed the game.

I don't trust him to run an NFL offense where defenses are faster and the windows tighter. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Bo Nix is somewhat similar to Carr with his size, release, and arm strength. He's also a bit robotic and fidgety with his movements in the pocket. Where Nix separates himself from Carr is his athleticism. Nix is a bona fide run threat and maestro in the redzone.

And Nix is not afraid of pressure. He's much more poised and can make plays outside structure. 

The comparison to Carr is misguided. He's more Baker Mayfield or Jalen Hurts