2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

Just now, big_palooka said:

And Nix is not afraid of pressure. He's much more poised and can make plays outside structure. 

The comparison to Carr is misguided. He's more Baker Mayfield or Jalen Hurts 

He's not nearly as mobile as Hurts though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I've said it all season and why I've never bought his hype. He never gets pressured. Never has to deal with it consistently. Washington's offense is gimmicky - did you see the plays where the WR ducks to hide behind another guy? They have a top tier group of WRs that get open and he just has to deliver the ball. He has nice arm and in rhythm can deliver with accuracy. 

But college accuracy is different than NFL accuracy. You have to be able to make throws when you're getting pressured. Michigan rattled him early, didn't let him get to his spots and he had no answer for it. Until eventually he panicked and through gift INT that sealed the game.

I don't trust him to run an NFL offense where defenses are faster and the windows tighter. 

To be fair he was a wizard navigating in the pocket and extending plays against a very good Texas DL. And he got stepped on pretty early in the game last night and just wasn't the same after that.

9 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

And Nix is not afraid of pressure. He's much more poised and can make plays outside structure. 

The comparison to Carr is misguided. He's more Baker Mayfield or Jalen Hurts 

He’s 25 and played in a gimmick offense throwing 5 yard passes 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

I called JJ Derek Carr cause you expect more but it never really happens.  He’s needs another year it’s pretty simple. He’s not ready. He has thrown 4 TD passes over the past 6 games. 3 of those 4 were against Bama. 

Passing yards the last 6 games. His traits are not elite. Not an elite athlete. Not an elite arm.  Doesn’t have elite size. Mentally we know where that is(not great). 

Can’t sit here and say JJ and Josh Allen in the same sentence. Two different animals coming out. 

JJ actually reminds me of a more raw Zach Wilson. He prolly will wow people with his arm, and is athletic like Zach. Wilson had more monster games in college too. Can’t just go for arm talent, QB look, and athletic ability 

Edited by Humble_Beast

9 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

I see 3 first round QBS: Caleb, Maye, Daniels 

2nd rounders in order: Ward, JJ, Pennix, Nix 

You were literally hyping Penix seven days ago and had he and Ward as first round picks.

On 1/2/2024 at 6:42 PM, Humble_Beast said:

5 Legit 1st round picks in 2024 

• 1- Caleb Williams 
  • 2- Drake Maye 
  • 3- Jayden Daniels 
  • 4- Cam Ward 
  • 5- Michael Pennix - would be higher but his injury history 

Penix (who you said is a baller, top 10 pick) went from QB5 "would be higher but his injury history" to second round and worse than JJ McCarthy who you said will be a bust again, 7 days ago. 

This is why nobody takes you seriously.

1 hour ago, bucksavage1 said:

JJ McCarthy is vastly overrated on this forum. He’s a year away from being a year away. I’d take Cam Ward and Spencer Rattler over him

If he declares and we draft him next season round 1, get ready for AOC starting next season 

Can't wait to see this take age like milk sitting in the sun. 

39 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

To be fair he was a wizard navigating in the pocket and extending plays against a very good Texas DL. And he got stepped on pretty early in the game last night and just wasn't the same after that.

Dude was battered like it was UFC1 out there last night. 

Can't question his toughness. His play won't likely be what hurts his stock, imo. But the notion he's injury-prone will 100% be at the top of peoples' list. 

He gutted it out, but he wasn't effective. Depends on how much scouts want to take away from knowing he played practically the entire game injured. 

Maybe unpopular, but I thought they should have pulled him about midway through the 3rd. I get he probably lobbied to stay in, but....the job of a HC is to protect your guys and put them in the best position to win. 

Leaving a clearly hobbled Penix in was a disservice to him, Washington's WRs and D, and maybe even their craptastic OL since blocking an injured QB can't be easy. Imo, not enough outrage directed at DeBoer for that. 

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 1

Here is what I will say on McCarthy as my opinion has not changed. 

Some of you are too caught up on stats and gravitate towards guys that sling the ball 40 times a game. That is not Michigan Football under Jim Harbaugh. They built the nations top Oline to run the ball and wear you out with 2 of the nations top RBs. 

This offense puts more pressure on the QB to make plays on 3rd down when you get in those situations in their run, run pass approach. 73% McCarthy's passes on third down resulted in a first down. Compared to Penix 46.3 percent and Maye 52.3 percent (last stat I could find from Nov.)

Sure, we'd all like to see McCarthy sling it 40 times and get into a rhythm, but that is not the game they are playing.

He is raw and you're looking at traits. He's made more NFL caliber throws in his limited attempts than guys who are throwing it 40 times a game. Tight window throw with anticipation. He has NFL level pocket awareness and ability on the move and play out of structure. 

You're projecting you can take a 20 year kid and further develop those NFL traits. He may need a redshirt year, but I'd take his upside when he turns 24 over Penix or Daniels who've been in college 5+ years hitting their ceilings early.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Here is what I will say on McCarthy as my opinion has not changed. 

Some of you are too caught up on stats and gravitate towards guys that sling the ball 40 times a game. That is not Michigan Football under Jim Harbaugh. They built the nations top Oline to run the ball and wear you out with 2 of the nations top RBs. 

This offense puts more pressure on the QB to make plays on 3rd down when you get in those situations in their run, run pass approach. 73% McCarthy's passes on third down resulted in a first down. Compared to Penix 46.3 percent and Maye 52.3 percent (last stat I could find from Nov.)

Sure, we'd all like to see McCarthy sling it 40 times and get into a rhythm, but that is not the game they are playing.

He is raw and you're looking at traits. He's made more NFL caliber throws in his limited attempts than guys who are throwing it 40 times a game. Tight window throw with anticipation. He has NFL level pocket awareness and ability on the move and play out of structure. 

You're projecting you can take a 20 year kid and further develop those NFL traits. He may need a redshirt year, but I'd take his upside when he turns 24 over Penix or Daniels who've been in college 5+ years hitting their ceilings early.  

Only thing that makes me hesitant is that he's a development prospect with good but not elite physical tools.

25 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Can't question his toughness. His play won't likely be what hurts his stock, imo. But the notion he's injury-prone will 100% be at the top of peoples' list.

We'll see he has been healthy the last two seasons and Tua still went in the top 5 despite a broken hip.

9 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Only thing that makes me hesitant is that he's a development prospect with good but not elite physical tools.

The word "elite" is cliché. His arm is not Josh Allen's, but how many QBs are? He's got a live arm, can fit the ball anywhere on the field. He's an above average athlete who will make plays with his feet. He can throw with accuracy on the run. He's smart in the pocket. What more do you want to develop?

Joe Milton has "elite" physical tools.... who cares if your game is trash?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

The word "elite" is cliché. His arm is not Josh Allen's, but how many QBs are? He's got a live arm, can fit the ball anywhere on the field. He's an above average athlete who will make plays with his feet. He can throw with accuracy on the run. He's smart in the pocket. What more do you want to develop?

Joe Milton has "elite" physical tools.... who cares if your game is trash?

Meh. I think with development prospects you want them to have some elite traits, guys like Mahomes, Allen, Lamar, Richardson, etc. all did.

I think he's going to have to pack on significant muscle mass to take the hits in the NFL and his ball placement has been spotty when I've watched him.

All in all I would be happy to land him at #13, especially with Harbaugh, I'd be hesitant to leverage more draft capital for him though.

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Meh. I think with development prospects you want them to have some elite traits, guys like Mahomes, Allen, Lamar, Richardson, etc. all did.

I think he's going to have to pack on significant muscle mass to take the hits in the NFL and his ball placement has been spotty when I've watched him.

All in all I would be happy to land him at #13, especially with Harbaugh, I'd be hesitant to leverage more draft capital for him though.

What were Mahomes elite traits coming out? 

I agree on bulking up. But he's 20, he'll be fine. He's not Daniels who is 23 and maxed out.