where does this draft rank

3rivers

since you have been a fan, where would you rank this draft?

I know they haven't played a snap but based on expectation ceiling/floor and hype of course needs ,  where do you rank this draft?

we can't expect this type of draft every year but even if it's comparable for needs/quality,  the team should be in good shape after a few more thanks to Weidl and Khan

Edited by 3rivers

I absolutely Love Jones #1.

After that, I'm meh, I know it is not popular, but I think trading down at 32 was the correct call. I hope Peezy Jr. proves me wrong. I think Cam Smith will be a better pro, but we'll see.

I also think the Steelers could have had other players in addition, but it is always an opportunity cost with these things. 

3 hours ago, VigilantZombie said:

On paper, Top 5, slighly below 71 & 74 imo

on paper is a way to put it, good point.  Even is a few others are there above it, we are at top5 since 40+ years ago. Thats a good draft (on paper  by current hype of course) and is a good start.  I'm liking the direction of this team and hope next years draft is similar and UFA i as well.  The best selling jersey shoul dbe #1 with Weidl/Kahn on the back. I wouldn't say Khan Artis since he is just doing his job (properly) . If he keeps fleecing teams and making trades on draft day to steal a prime prospect fromt he soon to be team that drafts him, that's getting up there. 

That was quite a move to pick before the Jets and look who we had to trade with  :o. Tip our hats off to that, colbert would have waited and that would have been it, but the Jets did that with Revis so it's nothing new either.

the 87 draft ended up being really good, but keep in mind  Everrett and Nickerson left and Lloyd didn't play right away (knee) . Still 4 pro bowlers  , including 1 HOF player,  totalling 22 pro bowls IIRC  when the pro bowl actually meant something. If the 22 draft is this good we are on our way to 'winning' more . 2017 was good but of course many players left via UFA but thats the modern NFL.

1987 Pittsburgh Steelers draft
Round Pick Player Position College Notes
1 10 Rod Woodson *   Cornerback Purdue  
2 38 Delton Hall  Cornerback Clemson  
3 66 Charles Lockett  Wide receiver Long Beach State  
4 94 Thomas Everett *  Safety Baylor  
5 122 Hardy Nickerson *  Linebacker California  
6 141 Tim Johnson  Defensive Tackle Penn State  
6 150 Greg Lloyd *  Linebacker Fort Valley State  
      Made roster    *   Made at least one Pro Bowl during career

2017 Pittsburgh Steelers Draft
Round Selection Player Position College
1 30 T.J. Watt OLB Wisconsin
2 62 JuJu Smith-Schuster WR USC
3 94 Cameron Sutton CB Tennessee
3* 105* James Conner RB Pittsburgh
4 135 Josh Dobbs QB Tennessee
5 173 Brian Allen FS Utah
6 213 Colin Holba LS Louisville
7 248 Keion Adams OLB Western Michigan

other seasons such as 2009, 2015, , 2018, not a single probowl player - just to get an idea

Edited by 3rivers