Not a big fan of this draft class

Big T

In part I would guess because of the success of last years draft class. Unlike last years draft class we drafted what turned out to be 4 sexy picks as opposed to drafting no sexy picks this year. 

But of all the picks only 3 caught my attention and I see as impact players going into 2024. McDonald, Tippmann, and Abanikanda at RB. Warren at best is a backup to the backups with a potential to one day being a starter. For all the praise thrown on him, he has his issues as well. Converse is a backup, jack of all trades special teams project and will not see much playing time.

Barnes is so unknown that there is only H.S. film on him and as for Kuntz at TE. While he was the most athletic of all TE's at the combine and of all time at the combine for his position. The guy is a project with a capitol "P". Oh yes he has height and speed, but he is a weak sister, he gets pushed around and his hands are suspect.

The guy has what 15 games under his belt in a weak division? Don't get your hopes up, NOW, to be fair the jury is out on him. He can be made stronger, he can be taught, he has a great deal of upside. But we're looking a few years down the road. We shouldn't be thinking he's going to come right in and upset the apple cart. The guy is a project.

Getting back to last years draft, be sure of this that it was a historic draft for the Jets and probably for all of the NFL. Something like that rarely happens, and as fans I think we expect the Jets to draft lights out great. 

Come away with 3 players and you did well in a draft, I think we did well with McDonald, Tippmann, and Abanikanda all 3 will make an impact, throw AR into the mix and the Jets had a good off season. 

I would ask what you may think of this years draft class.

18 minutes ago, Big T said:

In part I would guess because of the success of last years draft class. Unlike last years draft class we drafted what turned out to be 4 sexy picks as opposed to drafting no sexy picks this year. 

But of all the picks only 3 caught my attention and I see as impact players going into 2024. McDonald, Tippmann, and Abanikanda at RB. Warren at best is a backup to the backups with a potential to one day being a starter. For all the praise thrown on him, he has his issues as well. Converse is a backup, jack of all trades special teams project and will not see much playing time.

Barnes is so unknown that there is only H.S. film on him and as for Kuntz at TE. While he was the most athletic of all TE's at the combine and of all time at the combine for his position. The guy is a project with a capitol "P". Oh yes he has height and speed, but he is a weak sister, he gets pushed around and his hands are suspect.

The guy has what 15 games under his belt in a weak division? Don't get your hopes up, NOW, to be fair the jury is out on him. He can be made stronger, he can be taught, he has a great deal of upside. But we're looking a few years down the road. We shouldn't be thinking he's going to come right in and upset the apple cart. The guy is a project.

Getting back to last years draft, be sure of this that it was a historic draft for the Jets and probably for all of the NFL. Something like that rarely happens, and as fans I think we expect the Jets to draft lights out great. 

Come away with 3 players and you did well in a draft, I think we did well with McDonald, Tippmann, and Abanikanda all 3 will make an impact, throw AR into the mix and the Jets had a good off season. 

I would ask what you may think of this years draft class.

Big T THERE WASN'T MUCH WE COULD DO BECAUSE OF THE RODGERS TRADE BUT WE BLOW THE 13 FIRST ROUND PICK BY TRADING DOWN IT COST US A TOP OFFENSIVE LINE PLAYER. SOMEONE HEAD SHOULD ROLLED FOR THAT SCREWUP.

This draft class in general was not that good. The Tackle class is very weak in my eyes. I don't see a pro bowl T in this class. Jones is not going to be that good. He will be solid but not good. This class had a lot better IOL guys than T. You might have 2 pro bowl C and a Pro Bowl G in Terrance. When Wright is getting picked that high and in most classes he would be a late first round pick. I don't thnk the Jets liked the tackles in this class and made the trade befoe the draft for AR cause they knew they had a few guys that would be there they liked at 15. 

• Like 1

Its funny that guys on here basically penciled in Max Mitchell as an heir apparent at RT even after graded out pretty poorly last year, let we get another OT in the same round who can play both sides yet hes a back up to the back ups lol? For all we know he is better than Mitchell and has more games under his belt in college. 

Jets simply added depth to the roster in this draft. If McDonald and Tippman are good its a HR. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Its funny that guys on here basically penciled in Max Mitchell as an heir apparent at RT even after graded out pretty poorly last year

Max wa a fourth round pick. He was never meant to see the field last year. When he was drafted, we thought Becton and Fant would be manning OT. Then Becton was out and JD signed Brown. Then Fant was out and we had no choice but to use our developmental OT.

Mitchell was OK. He definitely needs to work on his craft but if he does, there is little reason to think he can’t come in and be, at worst, an adequate RT.

2 hours ago, doumeyer said:

Big T THERE WASN'T MUCH WE COULD DO BECAUSE OF THE RODGERS TRADE BUT WE BLOW THE 13 FIRST ROUND PICK BY TRADING DOWN IT COST US A TOP OFFENSIVE LINE PLAYER. SOMEONE HEAD SHOULD ROLLED FOR THAT SCREWUP.

Point well taken, and I would have to agree with you. The outlier is that according to sources the Jets were considering J.Gibbs. How much weight you put behind it, who knows. It could just be smoke and mirrors. I do like the McDonald pick though, and enough NFL people had him high on their lists.

1 hour ago, jetfuel34 said:

This draft class in general was not that good. The Tackle class is very weak in my eyes. I don't see a pro bowl T in this class. Jones is not going to be that good. He will be solid but not good. This class had a lot better IOL guys than T. You might have 2 pro bowl C and a Pro Bowl G in Terrance. When Wright is getting picked that high and in most classes he would be a late first round pick. I don't thnk the Jets liked the tackles in this class and made the trade befoe the draft for AR cause they knew they had a few guys that would be there they liked at 15. 

Agreed about Jones.  When I watch him I saw a mid player. Honestly, he may not have started here anyways. I doubt he would start over Brown and Becton.  Becton is more talented and better than any of these OTs in the draft, if he is healthy and motivated no one was beating him out. 

2 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

Agreed about Jones.  When I watch him I saw a mid player. Honestly, he may not have started here anyways. I doubt he would start over Brown and Becton.  Becton is more talented and better than any of these OTs in the draft, if he is healthy and motivated no one was beating him out. 

I saw Jones having a similar trajectory as Brick. Obviously long term Brick anyone would take one million times over. But does Year 1-2 Brick fit our immediate plans? No so JD and Saleh didn’t “waste” a top pick on a Tackle that won’t play. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/30/2023 at 8:09 AM, doumeyer said:

I might have to agree with you somewhat, priority 1 should have been to grab a top OL even at the cost of a 2nd rounder to boot. If AR isn't protected efficiently JD's head may be on the line. Don't get me wrong JD has done a marvelous job, but much will depend on how the OL's health holds up. Three OL are returning from injury Becton, AVT, AND Dwane Brown. One a grizzled vet, the other a question mark, and AVT should be okay and has no injury history. As far as the Center position is concerned Tippman should beat out McGovern. Tomlinson was a disaster last year howbeit the line was in shambles for the most part. 

If the Jets can find any continuity and remain reasonably healthy, who knows where the Jets or what the Jets are capable of. As for the draft, they did okay, they added a few pieces, and out of the others including un drafted FA there may be a gem or two there. 

• 2 months later...

I think the edge rusher was essential for closing out games. However, the O-line is terrible on the outside. More than likely they have to swing a Baktiari deal by the deadline and hope next year’s third is good enough.

Tyron Smith is another guy of Dallas falls out of it early (not likely).

Edited by WheatieMan