2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

16 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

One twenty-eight second clip? Headline on NFL.com is that Daniels, Nabers and Thomas, "put on a show at the LSU pro-day!" 

Dan Orlovsky, said he's the best quarterback in the draft. 

I'm not saying I'd take him over WIlliams, but I sure as hell would take him over Drake Maye or any other QB in the draft. 

An hour and a half clip of every single throw/run he made in 2023?

I'm not doubting he can make every throw. I'm doubting he survives.

Edited by HighCalebR

45 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

DL Byron Murphy regularly seems to fall to the Packers in mocks on different sites. I'd consider him and C/G JPJ, if either of them are there. That would give 5 choices and at least one of them is very likely to be there.

Looked at Murphy.  Don't think he'll be on our board.  Dude is just too small don't think his game will translate to the NFL.  There are always outliers like Donald but not the way the Packers draft.  Measurable matter.  Murphy is only 6'0'' tall.  Newton 6'2" also a little on the small side but maybe the Packers would bend the rules for himl. JPJ I could definately see but kinda high to take a C.  Again not usually what the Packers do.  Wouldn't hate it especially if we could move Meyer to RG.  Just don't think Gute would go that direction.  

7 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Daniels takes a good number of sacks relative to the number of pressures.  Was around 30% in 2022, he was better in 2023 around 20%.  How much of that was his improvement vs having Nabers, Thomas as WR is unknown.

3 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

That is a fair point, but he's put on some weight since the end of the season and believe that will continue. He, like most young QB's will need to learn how to protect himself. Learn how to play the NFL game and read defenses to get the ball out on time. 

The thing will all of these young QB's, their success will depend greatly on where they land. Some will land in ****ty organizations with little patience, and it will likely ruin them. 

Just read somewhere the Vikings want to move to #2 for Daniels. I don't see them having the draft capital to get to #2, but that would be a great spot for him to land. 

Washington, NE and Chicago scare me as landing spots for QBs. NE and Washington don't have the talent around the QB for him to be successful. I'd say Chicago's history with quarterbacks is more than alarming if I'm a QB being drafted there. 

8 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

GB was also at SDSU Jackrabbits proday. Iowa and SDSU pipeline incoming ;)

I think it was Milt Hendrickson there judging by the pic but was a bit too far to see well. SDSU has a DB and an Olineman I bet they’re looking at. 

19 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

That is a fair point, but he's put on some weight since the end of the season and believe that will continue. He, like most young QB's will need to learn how to protect himself. Learn how to play the NFL game and read defenses to get the ball out on time. 

The thing will all of these young QB's, their success will depend greatly on where they land. Some will land in ****ty organizations with little patience, and it will likely ruin them. 

Just read somewhere the Vikings want to move to #2 for Daniels. I don't see them having the draft capital to get to #2, but that would be a great spot for him to land. 

Washington, NE and Chicago scare me as landing spots for QBs. NE and Washington don't have the talent around the QB for him to be successful. I'd say Chicago's history with quarterbacks is more than alarming if I'm a QB being drafted there. 

Big question if can you change someone's nature though. 

Idk. Just not for me. Turn injuries off and I'll grab the popcorn for sure.

2 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Looked at Murphy.  Don't think he'll be on our board.  Dude is just too small don't think his game will translate to the NFL.  There are always outliers like Donald but not the way the Packers draft.  Measurable matter.  Murphy is only 6'0'' tall.  Newton 6'2" also a little on the small side but maybe the Packers would bend the rules for him. JPJ I could definately see but kinda high to take a C.  Again not usually what the Packers do.  Wouldn't hate it especially if we could move Meyer to RG.  Just don't think Gute would go that direction.  

Packers showed interest in him (Byron Murphy 6'0" 1/2, 297) both in the Shrine Bowl week and the Senior Bowl. Very similar build to Mike Daniels (6'0", 291 when drafted). According to NFL.com he was the top ranked DT after the combine. His Draft Buzz pass rush ranking - 100%  !! Run defense 94%. RAS 9.04 and you know how Gute loves high RAS guys early on. 18th on Bruce Feldman's Freaks list. Terrific first step. As with Daniels, being on the short side can make it very difficult for O linemen when you get under their pads quickly and Murphy has exceptional leverage. Low man can win in the trenches, when you have Murphy's strength, first step, agility and motor, forcing the other side to double-team him.

Measurables matter for sure, but onfield performance tops that. Just check out how quickly he reads the backfield and how often he busts through the line. I tried to post his combine highlights as well, but they won't display here. You can find them on youtube.

On the mockdraftdatabase big board, Murphy is ranked 9th and JPJ 19th. Now I think these positions are a little high, but not by much and they give you an idea of how highly rated both are.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Looked at Murphy.  Don't think he'll be on our board.  Dude is just too small don't think his game will translate to the NFL.  There are always outliers like Donald but not the way the Packers draft.  Measurable matter.  Murphy is only 6'0'' tall.  Newton 6'2" also a little on the small side but maybe the Packers would bend the rules for himl. JPJ I could definately see but kinda high to take a C.  Again not usually what the Packers do.  Wouldn't hate it especially if we could move Meyer to RG.  Just don't think Gute would go that direction.  

Newton.  He's one inch shorter than Wyatt.  And listed at the same weight.  

There's no bending rules for Newton.  We drafted an older version of him at roughly the same position in the draft in the past.

He's one of those guys that I'm running to the pick to the podium if he is there.

• Like 1