2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

I'm not even trying to bash PFF here, but mock drafts serve no purpose beyond entertainment.

I blame mock drafts for 99% of the outrage around actual picks when they happen. Cannot wait for the outrage when we draft Ben Sinnott on day 2 (could be anywhere) lol.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

He hasn't been available on the PFF mock sim since before the combine.  First round.

Not saying they are the end all, be all, but with his versatility and size?  He's gonna go prior to #25.

Normally I agree with you, but this OL class is just different, depends on what you want. He's more of a sure thing that Mims or Kinglsey, but the ceiling on the outside isn't as high on those guys. Once Alt, Fashanu and Fuaga go off the board, it's just going to be personal preference for how the teams draft the rest of the top 50 OL. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I blame mock drafts for 99% of the outrage around actual picks when they happen. Cannot wait for the outrage when we draft Ben Sinnott on day 2 (could be anywhere) lol.

Day 2 as in round 2? That would indicate that they really want that dynamic h-back.

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Day 2 has 2 rounds 😉 

I do miss the all day Saturday and Sunday format.

Round 3 won't bother me.  I think we have a pretty good roster.  But round 2 is a little too rich for my blood looking for a guy that is mostly going to be doing the dirty work.

Just now, ThatJerkDave said:

I do miss the all day Saturday and Sunday format.

Round 3 won't bother me.  I think we have a pretty good roster.  But round 2 is a little too rich for my blood looking for a guy that is mostly going to be doing the dirty work.

I full-on Trust the Gute™ so wherever it inevitably happens, I'm gonna be there to support it. Sinnott's a stud football player.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Couple more interesting Pro Days today for potential Packers targets: 

Duke (Barton)

North Carolina (Cedric Gray)

Rutgers (Melton)

Washington (Fantanu, Rosengarten, Trice)

Sounds like GB was there for Duke/Barton

Edited by Arthur Penske

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

I'm not even trying to bash PFF here, but mock drafts serve no purpose beyond entertainment.

I found that last year, the PFF board, pretty much through the second round was pretty accurate.

Now...when I say that, I mean for groupings of players available for when GB was picking.  

I get the entertainment factor.  Very much.  

And?  That was the first time I've seen that site be pretty close.  So they've got that going for them, which is nice.  (Bill Murray Caddyshack voice)

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Normally I agree with you, but this OL class is just different, depends on what you want. He's more of a sure thing that Mims or Kinglsey, but the ceiling on the outside isn't as high on those guys. Once Alt, Fashanu and Fuaga go off the board, it's just going to be personal preference for how the teams draft the rest of the top 50 OL. 

I agree with that.  Barton's value is more inside, less outside.  And that is much different than those tackles you mentioned.

But I look at a team that picks before us, like Dallas.  I could easily see them wanting a Barton/Fashanu type as they have holes outside and inside.  Also?  I'm really hoping they value the true tackles more.

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

Not true. While nothing can accurately simulate a real draft, making many mock drafts across several sites serves more than one purpose. First, they bring up options when you pick (whichever pick that is) that you then go and look up to see if you like the prospect - over time you get a familiarity of draftees. Also and maybe more relevant, you start to see when bunches of guys at one position group go, and visualise 'sweet spots' for various positions. For example, Safeties look like late 2nd to 3rd round picks for many of the better prospects, while the best 5 CBs and best 5 OTs are probably off the board at 25.

Mock drafts are not good for predicting individual players but they are useful to see a broad picture over time. they even have a sneaky extra benefit, which is to highlight players whose stock appears to have jumped or slumped. Guys like Sainristil (slot corner) and Renardo Green (outside CB) have both risen a good deal, since they were first on a site's big board.

Of course entertainment and the satisfaction of being able to see many of you favourite players going to the Packers is the major reason we do mocks, but there are other uses. Teams do their own mocks, so they get something out of it besides entertainment.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

1 minute ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Not true. While nothing can accurately simulate a real draft, making many mock drafts across several sites serves more than one purpose. First, they bring up options when you pick (whichever pick that is) that you then go and look up to see if you like the prospect - over time you get a familiarity of draftees. Also and maybe more relevant, you start to see when bunches of guys at one position group go, and visualise 'sweet spots' for various positions. For example, Safeties look like late 2nd to 3rd round picks for many of the better prospects, while the best 5 CBs and best 5 OTs are probably off the board at 25.

Mock drafts are not good for predicting individual players but they are useful to see a broad picture over time. they even have a sneaky extra benefit, which is to highlight players whose stock appears to have jumped or slumped. Guys like Sainristil (slot corner) and Renardo Green (outside CB) have both risen a good deal, since they were first on a site's big board.

Of course entertainment and the satisfaction of being able to see many of you favourite players going to the Packers is the major reason we do mocks, but there are other uses. 

You are forgetting the most crucial thing.  Mock drafts give fans false justifications for calling picks a reach or great value.  Never mind that the actual pick is what defines the player's draft value, not the other way around.  The "he would have been available a round later" crowd will never accept that basic truth.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

You are forgetting the most crucial thing.  Mock drafts give fans false justifications for calling picks a reach or great value.  Never mind that the actual pick is what defines the player's draft value, not the other way around.  The "he would have been available a round later" crowd will never accept that basic truth.

Lets not act like these guys are infallible, their interpretation of a players value is often wrong. For every Nick Collins there are multiple AJ Dillon, Josiah Deguara, Josh Myers over Creed Humphrey picks where the general draft consensus got it right. With DVR, YouTube game cutups and A22 to go with the loads of draft content on social media, the common draftnik is as close to the access a GM gets as we've ever been. Obviously the interviews and medicals we'll never get, but just plain tape crunch, it's all out there on 90% of these guys. 

12 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I'll agree with you on the reach part. I feel attacked on the great value part tho lol.

• Like 1

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Lets not act like these guys are infallible, their interpretation of a players value is often wrong. For every Nick Collins there are multiple AJ Dillon, Josiah Deguara, Josh Myers over Creed Humphrey picks where the general draft consensus got it right. With DVR, YouTube game cutups and A22 to go with the loads of draft content on social media, the common draftnik is as close to the access a GM gets as we've ever been. Obviously the interviews and medicals we'll never get, but just plain tape crunch, it's all out there on 90% of these guys. 

It's official. PR doesn't Trust the Gute™

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b95210l2pl63rzv82iauoj