2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

Anybody who thinks they've would have done better than Gute in the past two drafts, I'll call you a liar in advance. 

Gute has earned the trust for us to expect the moves he is going to make will work out, in spite of perhaps feeling, "smarter than a real GM!" Often when we as fans to this we wind looking like we aren't, 'smarter than a 5th grader!'

Random, useless, strictly hypothetical thought of the day: other than a RB, if Gute wanted to add another weapon to the offense they don't already have, who would best fit the bill? 

I'm thinking Brock Bowers (or Ben Sinnott later in the draft). Again, I'm NOT advocating trading up to get Bowers. Just that we still have a month of this waiting and speculating on the Packers draft, and I wanted to throw up something different  just for fun discussion.

Edited by DWhitehurst
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DWhitehurst said:

Random, useless, strictly hypothetical thought of the day: if Gute wanted to add another weapon to the offense they don't already have (other than RB), who would best fit the bill? 

I'm thinking Brock Bowers. Again, I'm NOT advocating trading up to get him. Just that we still have a month of this waiting and speculating on the Packers draft, and I wanted to throw up something different  just for fun discussion.

You shoulda seen the discussion back when it looked like we were going to suuuuuuuuuuuck and Brock was seriously being talked as a Top 10/Top 5 guy. I personally thought his first round pedigree was more due to the 'G' on his helmet; had he played in a Mid-Major like say Cincinnati like Kelce did, would he get past the third round despite his measurables and game tape? Now that he's dropped into the deep 1st, I'm far less perplexed about his total value.

The biggest questions about Brock on the Packers are as follows; one, is he fundamentally better than Musgrave, and two, is he worthwhile enough to potentially be confined to a #2/#3/H-Back role? Dude's more explosive than anyone we could put in at the 'H', definitely more than what we've got in Kraft and Sims, but these are diminished roles for a first rounder, something that miiiiiight rub the wrong way for a rookie of Brock's caliber. It would demand much more of the 'balanced backfield' looks as opposed to the '3 WR' or '2 TE' types just to make the selection look worthwhile not just for the plebian fanbase we are part of, but also for Brock and the people in his life. As far as #1 goes, is Brock so much more explosive than Musgrave that it offsets the difference in height and reach? Is his blocking clearly superior?

As for actually thinking of a skill player... I gotta admit nobody's really standing out for me. Anyone at wideout that looks like a clearly superior option to any of our Top 4 is likely to be picked well before us. Others have some skillsets we totally like, but is a Ladd McConkey really that valuable to us as a #5- which is what he will be unless he turns into a Kupp/Nukua type? And since you already set RB aside.... well shoot, that would almost mean it's H-Back or bust.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaximusGluteus said:

He played 6 games at center in 2021, but I'm not surprised that PFF got something that simple wrong.

And tackles get moved inside all the time.

Gotcha, glad there is at least some past history to back up the claims that Barton can play all 5 spots on the Oline.
This time of year too often prospects have things claimed about them that are simply speculation, but often are put forth as facts.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Watson is sneaky fast on his highlight reel. Nobody catches him but he doesn't LOOK like he's running fast. But he is. 

Has some intriguing between the tackles plus vision and moves. 

I'm intrigued.

He is definitely scooting.  And this is the kind of back that I want to diversify the RB room.

also, who is 11 on North Texas? That guy was moving too.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

You shoulda seen the discussion back when it looked like we were going to suuuuuuuuuuuck and Brock was seriously being talked as a Top 10/Top 5 guy. I personally thought his first round pedigree was more due to the 'G' on his helmet; had he played in a Mid-Major like say Cincinnati like Kelce did, would he get past the third round despite his measurables and game tape? Now that he's dropped into the deep 1st, I'm far less perplexed about his total value.

The biggest questions about Brock on the Packers are as follows; one, is he fundamentally better than Musgrave, and two, is he worthwhile enough to potentially be confined to a #2/#3/H-Back role? Dude's more explosive than anyone we could put in at the 'H', definitely more than what we've got in Kraft and Sims, but these are diminished roles for a first rounder, something that miiiiiight rub the wrong way for a rookie of Brock's caliber. It would demand much more of the 'balanced backfield' looks as opposed to the '3 WR' or '2 TE' types just to make the selection look worthwhile not just for the plebian fanbase we are part of, but also for Brock and the people in his life. As far as #1 goes, is Brock so much more explosive than Musgrave that it offsets the difference in height and reach? Is his blocking clearly superior?

As for actually thinking of a skill player... I gotta admit nobody's really standing out for me. Anyone at wideout that looks like a clearly superior option to any of our Top 4 is likely to be picked well before us. Others have some skillsets we totally like, but is a Ladd McConkey really that valuable to us as a #5- which is what he will be unless he turns into a Kupp/Nukua type? And since you already set RB aside.... well shoot, that would almost mean it's H-Back or bust.

Very good points. It's been awhile, many seasons, since I can't immediately come up with a possible need for improving the passing attack, other than addressing the OLine (and maybe backup Rb in terms a speedier guy to complement Jacobs). This is assuming that positive reports on Watson's hamstring issue hold true. (Knock on wood.) Only thing I could think of was an H-Back to replace Deguara, which I wouldn't call a need, at least not a pressing one. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Gute taking, say, a Ben Sinnott if he is still there in round 4, but other than that, I really can't think of anybody they'd urgently target. 

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Anybody who thinks they've would have done better than Gute in the past two drafts, I'll call you a liar in advance. 

Gute has earned the trust for us to expect the moves he is going to make will work out, in spite of perhaps feeling, "smarter than a real GM!" Often when we as fans to this we wind looking like we aren't, 'smarter than a 5th grader!'

Gute did a fantastic job the last two years.  Hopefully he has found his system and continues to be the master.

Prior to the last two he was average at best. I hope those days are gone.

He was getting 1-2 plus starters early in his tenure, but the last couple getting 5 plus which are all time great drafts

23 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

Gute did a fantastic job the last two years.  Hopefully he has found his system and continues to be the master.

Prior to the last two he was average at best. I hope those days are gone.

He was getting 1-2 plus starters early in his tenure, but the last couple getting 5 plus which are all time great drafts

GD2Em_wXYAAiSgW.jpg

1 hour ago, DWhitehurst said:

Random, useless, strictly hypothetical thought of the day: other than a RB, if Gute wanted to add another weapon to the offense they don't already have, who would best fit the bill? 

I'm thinking Brock Bowers (or Ben Sinnott later in the draft). Again, I'm NOT advocating trading up to get Bowers. Just that we still have a month of this waiting and speculating on the Packers draft, and I wanted to throw up something different  just for fun discussion.

How about Xavier Legette?  6’-1” 215 and ran 4.39. WR/3rd Down Back. Could he actually be our 3rd RB?

Edited by MantyWrestler
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DWhitehurst said:

I like Brian Thomas Jr WR , LSU.  Is he a top priority? NO.  We got other needs to address, but if he was there he'd give me pause.  Probably wouldn't pick him but I'd think about it depending on who else is there.

• Like 1

The offseason moves thread has disappeared from the first 8 threads so this is my new all encompassing thread now.

I actually really agree with. And i think hermans a big dumb dip**** haha.

if hes still there post draft and he wants to make a camp. Kick those tires.

• Like 1