2024 NFL Draft Discussion

MacReady

2 hours ago, mikebpackfan said:

We’re at our Xavier limit. 

We need a couple Xaviers and three Coopers on this team.

McKinney, Leggette.

Then lets add DeJean, Edgerrin, and Beebe in the draft. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tperk said:

We need a couple Xaviers and three Coopers on this team.

McKinney, Leggette.

Then lets add DeJean, Edgerrin, and Beebe in the draft. 

I'd rather have a Kool-Aid than a DeJean.

16 hours ago, DWhitehurst said:

Random, useless, strictly hypothetical thought of the day: other than a RB, if Gute wanted to add another weapon to the offense they don't already have, who would best fit the bill? 

I'm thinking Brock Bowers (or Ben Sinnott later in the draft). Again, I'm NOT advocating trading up to get Bowers. Just that we still have a month of this waiting and speculating on the Packers draft, and I wanted to throw up something different  just for fun discussion.

Assuming that we cannot get one of the top 3 WR's.....my vote would be for Brian Thomas, WR.

Pure vertical threat.  

Reasons:  Watson's injury history.  And, if Watson isn't injured, just how can you cover Reed and our Te's if you have both Watson and Thomas on the field running deep routes?

And if I cannot have him?  The next weapon that I want is JPJ.  Mauler inside, and probably an elite center for the next decade.  Myers can go fight Rhyan for RG for one year.  JPJ's tape just looks different than anyone else who plays inside.  And the guy just flat out moves people.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

He is definitely scooting.  And this is the kind of back that I want to diversify the RB room.

also, who is 11 on North Texas? That guy was moving too.

Patrick Smith.  Redshirt freshman.  5'9'' 184.  Safety.  Per their website.  

And I thought the same thing you did, who the heck is that guy?  He's moving!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, hitnhope said:

Gute did a fantastic job the last two years.  Hopefully he has found his system and continues to be the master.

Prior to the last two he was average at best. I hope those days are gone.

He was getting 1-2 plus starters early in his tenure, but the last couple getting 5 plus which are all time great drafts

I'd dispute the "average at best" statement.  He's clearly above average.  So far above average that we just moved on from a first ballot HOF quarterback....and made the playoffs the next season.  

His selection of Love paid off immediately with MVP seasons from Rodgers....and then we were able to transition from Rodgers to Love very quickly.

And we got our QB without mortgaging the future via multiple draft picks.  We just took the kid that had the skills we wanted when he was close to our pick.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Assuming that we cannot get one of the top 3 WR's.....my vote would be for Brian Thomas, WR.

Pure vertical threat.  

Reasons:  Watson's injury history.  And, if Watson isn't injured, just how can you cover Reed and our Te's if you have both Watson and Thomas on the field running deep routes?

And if I cannot have him?  The next weapon that I want is JPJ.  Mauler inside, and probably an elite center for the next decade.  Myers can go fight Rhyan for RG for one year.  JPJ's tape just looks different than anyone else who plays inside.  And the guy just flat out moves people.

My theory: Last year Gute passed on the OL, and let Njiman and Runyon walk this spring, because he knew this year's draft would be very deep in OL. So I expect him to take at least three in the draft. I would be very happy with JPJ at 25. Then I hope he trades up if necessary to get Barton. Further on down, I hope he gets Zintner if he slides or one of the other guys like Beebe. OL problem solved!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

My theory: Last year Gute passed on the OL, and let Njiman and Runyon walk this spring, because he knew this year's draft would be very deep in OL. So I expect him to take at least three in the draft. I would be very happy with JPJ at 25. Then I hope he trades up if necessary to get Barton. Further on down, I hope he gets Zintner if he slides or one of the other guys like Beebe. OL problem solved!

I don’t know much NCAA ball but I’ve been hearing about this class being very solid for OL since last year and we just so happen to need a reload there. Similar to a plentiful TE group last year, there were several places where you could grab a good one, I hope we take advantage of a deep class here. Hopefully a starting caliber interior guy and a high upside OT who could benefit from a year of seasoning. Overall, I trust our development system to get the most out of the young guys and build them up for the future. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HokieHigh said:

He is the same weight as mcduffie

Fair enough but I'd rather find someone to fill that SAM role. Junior Colson all day.

Edited by beekay414